Yellow fever Vaccination - Specifically for SA

2552phxcrzr

We will be doing back-to-back South America cruises in December. Have read the CDC and WHO websites ... clear as mud, what with comments re: generally not recommended. The itinerary will take us to Colombia, and then Colon, Panama, and the Panama Canal, followed by Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay.

The specific question I have is has anyone who has done a similar itinerary had a problem entering Ecuador without proof of YFV? From what I understand the canal and Panama City are exempt from the list, and we are going to an area below 2300m in Ecuador. So the way I read it, we don't need to get vaccinated, but first hand experience from others would be useful.

(And yes, we will also be checking with a travel clinic to see what they have to say ;))

We will be doing back-to-back South America cruises in December. Have read the CDC and WHO websites ... clear as mud, what with comments re: generally not recommended. The itinerary will take us to Colombia, and then Colon, Panama, and the Panama Canal, followed by Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay.

The specific question I have is has anyone who has done a similar itinerary had a problem entering Ecuador without proof of YFV? From what I understand the canal and Panama City are exempt from the list, and we are going to an area below 2300m in Ecuador. So the way I read it, we don't need to get vaccinated, but first hand experience from others would be useful.

(And yes, we will also be checking with a travel clinic to see what they have to say ;))

We did a cruise from Chile to NYC a couple of years ago and were told we had to have a YFV. My husband can't have it due to his compromised immune system so we both got yellow fever waivers. We had no problem getting into Ecuador.

We did a cruise from Chile to NYC a couple of years ago and were told we had to have a YFV. My husband can't have it due to his compromised immune system so we both got yellow fever waivers. We had no problem getting into Ecuador.

Thanks, that's the opposite direction from which we will be traveling, and looks like requirements are based on countries visited prior to arriving in Ecuador.

We did the FLL to Valpo cruise on Infinity, likely same cruise you are going on.

We had the Yellow Fever stop, but discovered we didn't need the shot.

I had read that if you go to a country where Yellow Fever is a risk that it can be a problem going to Brazil.

We are doing a SA cruise in November, including Ecuador. At time of booking, YFV was required. We have since been informed it is not required.

Would you mind me asking which cruise company you're going with? I assume that's where the YF vaccination requirement info came from. I looked on the Celebrity site, but I can't even get into my booking, and their FAQs are very generic.

We are on Holland America. When we booked, our TA was informed verbally immediately by HAL, a YFV was required, and followed up with written notice.

We have since received written notice a YFV is not now required. It sounded like, from our research, that a cruise ship stop was very unlikely to involve the areas of Ecuador affected by Yellow Fever.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are on Holland America. When we booked, our TA was informed verbally immediately by HAL, a YFV was required, and followed up with written notice.

We have since received written notice a YFV is not now required. It sounded like, from our research, that a cruise ship stop was very unlikely to involve the areas of Ecuador affected by Yellow Fever.

Thanks ... yes that's my interpretation as well, and since we're sticking to Canal Zone and Panama City prior to Ecuador, I figure we can get away with not getting the vaccine now.

Appreciate the information.

h2so4 I have spent today reading your account of your Galapagos trip in 2012, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. We are going in March next year and I can hardly wait!!

Glad you enjoyed my accounting of the trip ... it is a fantastic place. You're in for a treat.