Cruising with an 18 month old. Yea or Nay?

mattp420

OP - I would - with a caveat. I would cruise on those ships that have a nursery, such as Disney, Cunard, and some RCL ships. That way you can have a little time to yourself and the baby will be pampered. I'm unclear whether Carnival has any nurseries but (if it were me), I'd stick to the ships that do. Have a great trip.

I know I'm late to the game for this response but I wanted to make a few points.

We took our son on a cruise when he was 10 months. It wasn't relaxing but we enjoyed it. 18 months would be easier for some reasons (food for example) but more difficult for others. I have found that the 18 month age is one of the most difficult. When he was 20 months old we took a vacation without him (all inclusive). We missed him but really enjoyed the time away....we really needed the time together. We had such a good time that he now has a little sister :)

We chose the cruise when he was a baby because Carnival does offer some childcare for kids under 2. Yes it was only a few hours a day but we appreciated it. We could have used it more than we did. We also had a balcony so we could hang out when he was sleeping. Our "dates" on the balcony with room service and a glass of wine are some of my best memories of the trip. We did find the dining room to be a little rough because it's hard for small ones to sit that long....even well behaved kids get bored. Heck even I get a little bored and antsy :)

We will be taking the kids with us on a cruise in a few months.... they'll be 4 1/2 and almost 2 1/2 so both will be eligible for Camp Carnival. We are hoping they enjoy it but we're also preparing for the possibility they won't. I really just want a good combination of family time and some time to relax.

Is waiting until your daughter is 2 an option? It sounds like you know what you want to do...you want to take her. So take her :) It will be fine....any vacation with small kids isn't the same as a vacation with no kids. Look into the childcare for under 2s and into finding a room that will be comfortable for a family schedule.

I'm hoping for the best when we take our 2 in a few months. We are lucky to get plenty of couple time thanks to family support (they just got back from 2 nights with my parents) and we realize that we just miss them.... we appreciate the time together but still miss them....we want to find a vacation we can all enjoy together.

I always say that we'll never be able to take them if we don't jump in and start taking them. :)

My daughter was 22 months old on her first cruise. As others have stated, it wasn't exactly relaxing, but we had a great time! She has always traveled well so that part wasn't an issue. It was more work for me. Thinking ahead of everything that we might need took a lot of planning but it worked. Looking back, I might would've waited till she was old enough for the kids club. It would've made it a bit easier. We traveled with my SIL and BIL and that was so helpful! But life is all about the memories, she doesn't remember that trip but I will always remember that we had our first cruise together!:)

My daughter was 11 months old when we left her for the first time to go on what was our first cruise. And, she was fine and so were we. It was hard at first but was a much needed vacation. So, to answer your question, I would not cruise with a child that young. Its so hot out on the deck and a child that young would more then likly get cranky etc... and its a good time for you all to relax.

I've seen young children on cruises and they are crying, the parents chasing after them (parents looking tired) and I've thought to myself, theres no way I would bring a young child that young on a cruise, it defeats the relaxing Purpose.

Trust me, when she gets older, you will probably take many cruises as a family. I know we have. :)

But, this is something that as a couple, will ahve to decide.

Good Luck :)

I really appreciate all your responses! Lots of really good insight and many things to think about. I think we are leaning towards taking a short 3-day cruise with just the two of us to use up the credit we have and then doing a land vacation with the little one. I felt like the walls were closing in on me in our cabin without a crib, etc. lol.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It probably won't be relaxing. But I would still do it. My DD is 3 and going on her third cruise next month. First cruise she was 15 months, then a little over 2. The cruise where she was two was kind of a disaster. But my DD was not a great traveler and could be a bit of a pill. And she was 2, so there is that. But even though it was not the best vacation I ever had, I still have some fond memories of the trip.

If your child is mostly happy and believes in napping, then you will probably have a more pleasant experience. :cool:

They do have some baby sitter for under 2 year olds, after 10 p.m., if you can stay up that late. That will allow you guys to go have a drink, go to a comedy show or something, if you need some adult time.

As far as traveling without the little one, if you ever decide to go that route, it is not as bad as you think. We took a cruise without our DD for the first time this year. We were gone for a week and it was the longest I have been aware from her since she was born. I was almost dreading the trip because I would miss her so much. But I survived. When we were at the airport, or in the hotel before the cruise, I missed her like crazy. But once we got on the ship, there were so many things to do, that I barely had time to think about how much I missed her. We talked to her every night and half the time she was so busy eating ice cream, strawberries, or whatever (she was eating every time we called!), that she hardly wanted to talk. Then and when I would see something she would like were the only times I really got sad. But I know she had a blast with her grandparents and loved the presents were brought her home. And we tried for quite some time to have her and I am an "older" mom, so I know what you mean about missing them.

We took an 8 day family cruise when my Grandson was 22 months old . We helped out and gave his parents a break to do some things they wanted but mostly we all did things together. HE might not remember this cruise but we have the most amazing memories and he certainly enjoyed it ! The thing he loved most were the shows in the evening ! We kept our port days to basic beach days with the exception of one evening we went to see the cliff divers in Alcapulco . I will never forget how excited he was by that ! Watching him experience all this was the best part of our cruise !

Me and my wife did both, we went alone and we were thinking about our daughters all the time and if you do it you will understand. When we went with our daughters both of them got sick and we were counting the hours to get back home. The medical services onboard are very limited on what they can do and the same goes with medications (and expensive). For a 18 mo baby a high fever is exetremly dangerous if the condition is not treated properly. We recently did another cruise and everything went perfect.

I really appreciate all your responses! Lots of really good insight and many things to think about. I think we are leaning towards taking a short 3-day cruise with just the two of us to use up the credit we have and then doing a land vacation with the little one. I felt like the walls were closing in on me in our cabin without a crib, etc. lol.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Enjoy!

Think of fellow cruisers cabins either side of you , The crying can be heard thru the walls .:mad:

And so can noisy guests at hotels in some cases. Though some hotels do have thicker walls, many don't. Adults can be just as loud as children and sometimes worse

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great plan! Parents deserve a break and a time to connect! But, it can just be stressful with the little kids. The little ones are more likely to need their routine. Personally, I wouldn't bring a child that age on a cruise. I see people do it but they seem . . . like they are watching everyone else have fun while they are tied to the stroller or nap schedule. We took our 15 month old to hawaii for a week (with my mother). That worked well except that he didn't like eating in restaurants for a week and he hated the flight. My kids loved cruising at 4 and 6, and now we are cruising (in 29 days!!) and the kids are 8 and 10. Now they are SO excited and fully able to understand things like manners in the MDR, not running down hallways, and trying new food. Hope you have great vacations no matter what you choose!

My children started cruising when they were babies. In the old days we could hire cruise staff to babysit for cash. It was a great experience as the staff were always already trained to work with children and we had confidence in them. Call the cruiseline to inquire about child care options for the youngest of your family.