Cruising with an 18 month old. Yea or Nay?

mattp420

Am I insane? We tried for 15 years to have this little angel of ours my wife and I aren't sure we can handle a week without her but we REALLY need a vacation.

Guess we want to know if it is even relaxing to take an 18 month old baby on a cruise? She's a really chilled out, happy baby for the most part - active, curious and good with people in general.

I don't think she's old enough for the Carnival Club so we understand it's going to be a different kind of cruise..no nightlife, shows, etc. That's totally cool with us - everything is different now! It just seems like a long time to be without her.

lol...I posted this almost two years ago. still trying to reschedule!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1767137

Parents can get on a cruise but they can leave kids with their family members. They normally do that because of school. You might can try to bring it.

Am I insane? We tried for 15 years to have this little angel of ours my wife and I aren't sure we can handle a week without her but we REALLY need a vacation.

Guess we want to know if it is even relaxing to take an 18 month old baby on a cruise? She's a really chilled out, happy baby for the most part - active, curious and good with people in general.

I don't think she's old enough for the Carnival Club so we understand it's going to be a different kind of cruise..no nightlife, shows, etc. That's totally cool with us - everything is different now! It just seems like a long time to be without her.

I would say no.

Just like going to WDW at that age is also a no

I would want to vet the ship's pediatrician before committing.

I will offer another possibility. Always took my now 29 year old & 22 year old son on vacations. But I had the luxury of taking their grandparents & uncle with us.

Went to Disneyworld every other year since my oldest was 10 months old. Although my oldest does not remember much, my youngest remembers a lot.

We will be cruising in March of 2015 with my then 10 month old twin granddaughters.

We told my son and daughter-in-law that we will entertain the girls during the day, but after 10PM they are theirs.

From what I read, they do have some activities for that age, but you or a designated person needs to be with them.

I know that not all people have the ability to bring their grandparents or someone else with them to help, but it made for many special vacations and beautiful memories.

I work at a Mom's Day Out program at our church my age group is 18-30 months.

Taking a little one on the ship would be fun at time. But not relaxing.. Eyes on her at all times when your at the pool, railing keeping them out of the hot tubs.

It will make a difference at meal times too. Have you thought about bringing a set of grandparent with you on the ship. Can trade out times with them.

I'm also a grandmother and I would jump at the change to spend time with my grandbaby. On Land or Sea!!!!

Edited by go is my middlename

Truthfully I would worry about a baby getting sick and not having access to pediatrician.

:eek:

We were so afraid of this on our first cruise with our then 12 month old son the first time he cruised, that we chose an itinerary that a) stayed close to the US mainland (in case our son got very sick while at sea), and b) that visited ports with easy access to hospitals and flights home just in case. We didn't want to find ourselves in the middle of the ocean, hundreds of miles from the closest port of call, or at a destination with no suitable hospitals or airports. So we chose a 5 night cruise from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau.

While I'm aware that there's always the possibility of the kids getting sick, we have eased up those initial, 1st time parent worries and allowed ourselves to enjoy other cruises and types of vacation. We take our precautions, an arsenal of kids medications, take travel insurance, and do the best we can to stay healthy. So far, the kids have never been sick on any vacation they've taken. Ironically, the adults have! :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We also did a land for a week a few months later. By far the land (Cancun) vaca was easier.

We had an easier time with his schedule and naps etc.

While we've loved cruising with the kids, I do agree that land vacations with very small children can be easier.

More space to roam, larger accommodations, and a less regimented schedule. Being confined to a 185 sq ft stateroom with a crib can be tricky at times. :o

Traveling teaches kids about other cultures, manners, eating out manners, how to act in public and good old fashion family time together (without looking down at some device 24/7). It's a good thing!

Amen to that!! :D

I would say take the child. We have always cruised with our daughter and would never think of not taking her. Our first cruise I was pregnant with her, and we've been on two since and getting ready to go on another in a few short weeks. She was 2.5 on her first cruise and did amazing.

Our son will be a year old on his first cruise.

Take your kids, and have a good time.

For the people who said "only if you aren't roomed next to me" You guys can go do things with yourself. My family is important with me and even if they are too young to remember I remember and want them there with me.

We cruise with and without our children. We have cruised with a 19m old and had a great trip. It helped that we had an extra adult with us who we could switch off "baby duty" with, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again without the extra adult. Its a different kind of vacation from a couples cruise but it is still a lot of fun :)

Another thought.... people often say "Don't do ____________ until __age because they won't even remember because they are young". That assumes that one is taking the trip only for the benefit of the child. The parent will certainly "remember" the trip and there are benefits to vacationing even with a toddler. Like many things in life, it is what you make of it. Many parents can have a wonderfully relaxing time in the company of their small children. Some cannot. Go with what works for you :)

Traveling teaches kids about other cultures, manners, eating out manners, how to act in public and good old fashion family time together (without looking down at some device 24/7). It's a good thing!

I agree with this statement 100% but does not fit this example with an 18 month old, who is not going to learn anything.

Only you know if your child is likely to be a good traveler. If you haven't yet, perhaps you could try a day of sightseeing, some restaurant meals, and an overnight at a hotel.

My granddaughter would have been great on a cruise at that age. My grandson, not so much. He's always been a "homebody" and even a trip to the mall would throw him for a loop.

I never took my kids on a cruise, but we visited Orlando with them at all different ages; the first time my youngest at the time was about a year and the oldest just about 4. So many people said "why are you bothering, they'll never remember..." Well, no, but I will. The picture (and memory) that I have of my eldest hugging Minnie Mouse upon first meeting is priceless! She was SO excited! (said eldest is now 38 and still a Disney fan, as are all of my kids.)

Every experience you give your children helps them learn and grow in ways well beyond simply "remembering".

Edited by srlafleur

Think of fellow cruisers cabins either side of you , The crying can be heard thru the walls .:mad:

I've never heard kids crying through the wall, but I've heard adults fighting, screaming, listening to loud music, loud TV, coughing and hacking, and using the hair dryer. Oh yes, and doing "the nasty". :o

Edited by Tapi

I agree with this statement 100% but does not fit this example with an 18 month old, who is not going to learn anything.

Ooooooh yes they will. Don't underestimate what an infant is capable of learning. My 2 kids started traveling at 7 months of age, and they fly multiple times a year. It's pretty amazing the things that they learn an pick up just by being in that kind of environment. Even if they are just sitting there, they are absorbing everything. They learn how to act and behave in various public settings, including airplanes. And it's easier to introduce them to new foods when they are younger than when they get older and all they've been fed are chicken nuggets and fries. It makes traveling much easier as they get older because they know what to expect and they are very open to change.

Edited by Tapi

Ooooooh yes they will. Don't underestimate what an infant is capable of learning. My 2 kids started traveling at 7 months of age, and they fly multiple times a year. It's pretty amazing the things that they learn an pick up just by being in that kind of environment. Even if they are just sitting there, they are absorbing everything. They learn how to act and behave in various public settings, including airplanes. It makes traveling much easier as they get older because they know what to expect.

Amen to that.

The younger they are, the easier they learn.

Honestly I would not do a cruise with an 18 month old. I know people do it all the time, but a cruise would not be my vacation of choice at that age. We hit a milestone anniversary when our baby was 18 months old and considered a cruise to Bermuda for the three of us, but we knew we wouldn't really enjoy it. We ended up doing a short land-based vacation to New Orleans for just the two of us. You know what was the best part? Uninterrupted/late sleeping!

I responded in your original thread too - we tried for many years to have a baby, and finally did. There was no way at 18 months we could have left her and gotten on a ship, or really gone anywhere else for a week. It's both a long time to be away from her, and a lot to ask of someone else to watch your young child for that long. If you do a land-based vacation, you can bring along or pick up anything you need at almost any time. You're not confined to what is available on board. You can leave if it's just too much. That's not to say we didn't travel with her - she's been a traveler since she was a newborn, flying, road trips, etc. We just didn't think a cruise was the right place for her at 18 months.

Good luck making your decision, and congrats again!

Edited by irishnyc

I read this post right after you placed it on here and was going to respond and then decided to let others.

After thinking about I say yes. You have one life and one chance to be with your kiddo at this age. The experience of your family unit has changed direction. As long as you are ok with the logistics what it will mean for you and your family I think this is a great idea.

Happy sailing

I would say you should go and bring the baby but just not on Carnival simply because they do not have a nursery. I speak from experience. Camp Carnival starts at 2 yrs.

Our toddler is older than 2 now but before he turned 2 we already took him on 3 cruises. The first one was Disney which was awesome! The nursery there is great and the whole experience was wonderful. Then after that we went on Carnival. There was no nursery, no activities for babies, barely any room for them to play or do anything. Our last cruise before he turned 2 was on Royal Caribbean. Similarly to Disney they have a wonderful nursery and we were able to leave our son there, have dinner alone and even go on excursions.