Carnival Stock

winddawn

I look at my CCL stock like this - it is not losing money. It is paying me $1 per share dividend each year. It is paying me $100 OBC every time I take a 7 day cruise.

Looking at the big picture like that, it is a good investment. If I was trying to double my money in a hurry, maybe not so much. I was lucky with Royal and NCL on that front. Both have doubled or nearly doubled since I purchased them.

Just realize the OBC is dependent on the length of the cruise. So, not always $100

This link will take you to the website that gives the details of the shareholder benefits.

It lists all the cruise lines under the Carnival umbrella that give the OBC benefit and shows the contact information.

If you cruise Princess, they offer military OBC in addition to the shareholder OBC.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Edited by swedish weave

Good price right now for stock owners.

But will it stay here? We have owned the stock for about 6 years know and think this is about the 3rd or 4th time it has gotten here and than lost more than a third of its value. Time will tell but dont think this is a price that I would buy at.

This is what I am thinking too.

I looked at prices and saw it's normally lower. Think I am gonna wait on prices before I get my 100 shares.

I will buy 100 shares in the near future. Think the $100 off a stateroom per cruise plus dividends is worth the price over the long term.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking - long term and the on board credit will be great for me.

I have a question.

I went to benefits for shareholders and it says ocb rates were good until July 31 2015 and must be booked by Feb 2015. So do they do away with this credit sometimes or do they re-evaluate of the credit program periodically? Thanks

Edited by tbbtravels

Good price right now for stock owners.

This is what I am thinking too.

I looked at prices and saw it's normally lower. Think I am gonna wait on prices before I get my 100 shares.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking - long term and the on board credit will be great for me.

I have a question.

I went to benefits for shareholders and it says ocb rates were good until July 31 2015 and must be booked by Feb 2015. So do they do away with this credit sometimes or do they re-evaluate of the credit program periodically? Thanks

They have been renewing the OBC perk annually for many years. That is not to say they can't stop doing it, but I doubt if they would cut it off since it generates a lot of business for them.

Waiting to buy may or may not be to your advantage. It was at 30 when I bought, and it hasn't gone back to that level even with all the negative publicity and expenses they incurred.

If you are booked or planning a cruse soon, run the numbers to see if buying now is better than waiting.

Edited by swedish weave

I look at my CCL stock like this - it is not losing money. It is paying me $1 per share dividend each year. It is paying me $100 OBC every time I take a 7 day cruise.

Looking at the big picture like that, it is a good investment. If I was trying to double my money in a hurry, maybe not so much. I was lucky with Royal and NCL on that front. Both have doubled or nearly doubled since I purchased them.

You guys are all kidding your self with this OBC nonsense. I agree that you should buy a company you know, but beyond that you should buy a GOOD company that you know. Anyone here own a iPhone, use a Mastercard or shop at Costco? Do know those those companies? Yes. Those stocks have been absolutely on fire the last couple years. Their gains would dwarf the OBC your are getting on Carnival. Don't be so short sighted when you invest your hard earned money.

And also, this OBC really is not $50 or $100...you are kidding yourself there as well And let me explain why. First, In know all of you are too smart to buy excursions through Carnival, so you won't use your OBC for that. And you are all sneaky enough to smuggle your own booze (see the many thread on this), so you won't use your OBC to buy drinks. So what is left? Gambling? On average, a complete waste of money. So yeah, now you have trinkets in the gift shop or pictures, which are jacked up 2-3 times there actual value. Makes your $100 OBC have an actual buying power equivalent to $35 at your local store. Not a good deal. That leaves the steakhouse. Bon Appetite!

To me, the OBC is provided to just hook and keep you as a Carnival customer or investor...take your perspective pick. I like cruising on Carnival, but not enough to buy what they are selling here..that is an underperforming stock.

Just my 0.02. Getting my asbestos pant on!

Edited by Badfinger

They have been renewing the OBC perk annually for many years. That is not to say they can't stop doing it, but I doubt if they would cut it off since it generates a lot of business for them.

Waiting to buy may or may not be to your advantage. It was at 30 when I bought, and it hasn't gone back to that level even with all the negative publicity and expenses they incurred.

If you are booked or planning a cruse soon, run the numbers to see if buying now is better than waiting.

Thank you!

You guys are all kidding your self with this OBC nonsense. I agree that you should buy a company you know, but beyond that you should buy a GOOD company that you know. Anyone here own a iPhone, use a Mastercard or shop at Costco? Do know those those companies? Yes. Those stocks have been absolutely on fire the last couple years. Their gains would dwarf the OBC your are getting on Carnival. Don't be so short sighted when you invest your hard earned money.

And also, this OBC really is not $50 or $100...you are kidding yourself there as well And let me explain why. First, In know all of you are too smart to buy excursions through Carnival, so you won't use your OBC for that. And you are all sneaky enough to smuggle your own booze (see the many thread on this), so you won't use your OBC to buy drinks. So what is left? Gambling? On average, a complete waste of money. So yeah, now you have trinkets in the gift shop or pictures, which are jacked up 2-3 times there actual value. Makes your $100 OBC have an actual buying power equivalent to $35 at your local store. Not a good deal. That leaves the steakhouse. Bon Appetite!

To me, the OBC is provided to just hook and keep you as a Carnival customer or investor...take your perspective pick. I like cruising on Carnival, but not enough to buy what they are selling here..that is an underperforming stock.

You make some very good points but forgetting one thing we can all use the obc on. TIPS.

BTW this year we have taken 4 cruises with a fifth coming up in December and will have $ 800 in obc in total. For very frequent cruisers cant beat this with a stick.

If we only cruised once a year not sure if we would be a stockholder.

You make some very good points but forgetting one thing we can all use the obc on. TIPS.

BTW this year we have taken 4 cruises with a fifth coming up in December and will have $ 800 in obc in total. For very frequent cruisers cant beat this with a stick.

If we only cruised once a year not sure if we would be a stockholder.

I am sure I can name a lot more than 3 stocks that have done exceedingly well in the past 2 years. But hindsight is 20-20.

We each have our own reasons to buy the stock and yours is valid, but so is mine and a lot of other peoples as well; including golf_adj. I always use my stock OBC for tips so it is worth the $100, not $35.

I bought at $30 -- I get $100 per year in dividends -- I have received over $1000 in OBC --The stock is now priced a little over $40. I have used the OBC wisely and feel I am getting my moneys worth.

You can "Monday morning quarterback" and find stocks doing better. but there are hundreds that are doing worse. I am satisfied with my choice of CCL, so I think I will ignore your advice and keep my 100 shares.

The company has taken some severe setbacks, but hasn't dropped below my purchase price, and has now recovered to more than $10 above what I paid. Another factor I mentioned earlier is CCL debt management is much better than the competition.

By my calculations, I have less than $2000 invested in a stock worth over $4000.

Edited by swedish weave

I bought at $30 -- I get $100 per year in dividends -- I have received over $1000 in OBC --The stock is now priced a little over $40. I have used the OBC wisely and feel I am getting my moneys worth.

You can "Monday morning quarterback" and find stocks doing better. but there are hundreds that are doing worse. I am satisfied with my choice of CCL, so I think I will ignore your advice and keep my 100 shares.

The company has taken some severe setbacks, but hasn't dropped below my purchase price, and has now recovered to more than $10 above what I paid. Another factor I mentioned earlier is CCL debt management is much better than the competition.

By my calculations, I have less than $2000 invested in a stock worth over $4000.

Good points, swedish weave. And I think for most of us the money we have invested in Carnival stock is our fun money. I have my emergency fund, 401K, IRA, other investments, and minimal debt. If I want to enjoy my Carnival stock and my OBC, I'm going to. I don't care about the naysayers like Badfinger. It's a good move for me to have my hundred CCL shares.

I've been enjoying my shareholder credit several times a year for years. And the dividends provide a little extra cruise spending money too.

I could not care less what other's think, and will continue to enjoy my CCL stock for the purposes that I bought it for. Maybe some of those naysayers should realize it's time for them to move on. We can wish anyway, can't we?

I am sure I can name a lot more than 3 stocks that have done exceedingly well in the past 2 years. But hindsight is 20-20.

We each have our own reasons to buy the stock and yours is valid, but so is mine and a lot of other peoples as well; including golf_adj. I always use my stock OBC for tips so it is worth the $100, not $35.

We all have the same reason to buy a stock....to make money, period.

It is not hindsight for me. I own those stocks. That is why I could just rattle them off like I did. Gains have paid for entire cruise, not just tips.

It is not hindsight for me. I own those stocks. That is why I could just rattle them off like I did. Gains have paid for entire cruise, not just tips.

the point about the tips is we use the obc for it. and we all have stocks that have done well in the past two years. but the point is that there are many stocks that don't. you are lucky to have some that have done well and glad they can provide for your cruise. but we all have different philosophies for how we buy and sell. yours works for you; but recognize yours may be different than others.

So, work the system to do even better.

$7 to buy, $7 to sell and on average (if averaging works for gambling it works for stocks) no change to a tiny uptick in value over the course of a week while you hold the stock.

With current prices that works out to a 112% yearly return for a single 7-day cruise if you could buy in and sell for exactly that one week.

Even if you keep it for a month you're still at ~%28 annualized return. You can find stocks that have done better, but you'd be very hard pressed to find ones that do so every time.

More work than it's worth for me, but I've never aspired to live a profit maximized life.