Clothespins for chairs and towels

txflood33

Well, now that most cruiselines have banned smoking from balconies, they can't use the fire hazard caution anymore.

I see no problem in securing a few items (swimsuits) to the back of the balcony chairs with clothespins for a couple of hours to dry. They will not fly away, and there aren't any butts or ashes to potentially ignite them.

HAL still permits smoking on verandahs....... unfortunately.

Also, 8 of HAL's 15 ships have self service laundry machines. :)

Well, now that most cruiselines have banned smoking from balconies, they can't use the fire hazard caution anymore.

I see no problem in securing a few items (swimsuits) to the back of the balcony chairs with clothespins for a couple of hours to dry. They will not fly away, and there aren't any butts or ashes to potentially ignite them.

The Star Princess fire, which destroyed 150 cabins and killed 1 passenger was most likely (according to the investigation) caused when a lit cigarette, probably tossed overboard from a high deck, got sucked into a balcony. The cruise lines all warn passengers to never toss a butt overboard, but not everyone follows the rules.

Hank

HAL still permits smoking on verandahs....... unfortunately.

Also, 8 of HAL's 15 ships have self service laundry machines. :)

Actually, I forgot Prinsendam has a self-service laundry and that makes 9 of HAL ships that have that amenity.

I probably should have added to my previous post....I would never use a beach towel and the parrot clips to reserve a lounger.

As for laundry, I am guilty of hanging a swimsuit and snorkel shirt from the back of a balcony chair. However, fortunately we have enough cruises with Princess that we do have the unlimited free laundry and really don't worry much about coin op laundries.

I probably should have added to my previous post....I would never use a beach towel and the parrot clips to reserve a lounger.

As for laundry, I am guilty of hanging a swimsuit and snorkel shirt from the back of a balcony chair. However, fortunately we have enough cruises with Princess that we do have the unlimited free laundry and really don't worry much about coin op laundries.

Same for me on HAL. :) I've never used coin laundry. Our cabin category and our loyalty level both provide complimentary laundry.

... The cruise lines all warn passengers to never toss a butt overboard, but not everyone follows the rules.

Hank

I assume this also goes for the passenger who wants to toss their spouse's, or their lover's spouse's butt overboard?

Edited by Treven

I always use clothes pins to secure towels to the chair/chaise so it won't blow off. I clip towel to itself around edge if top is too wide for a pin. But never had that. Have seen fancy clips- flamingos, etc. but I don't care if someone steals my clothes pins when I'm not there- I have more.

I am also one of those who is guilty of hanging clothes on the balcony to dry. It just seems to take forever to get anything to dry on the line provided in the shower (especially if you are NOT in a suite with a nice big bathroom). Between DH and I and a few snorkeling/swimming trips we tend to have several wet things that need to dry and hanging them on hangars all over the room is not conducive to the relaxing vacation that we paid for. Not that I'm thrilled to see them out on the balcony either, but at least they are out of our way.

We take a clothesline that DH secures on the balcony (he grew up on a sailboat so he can securely tie anything anywhere) and use wooden clothespins to attach the clothes - several pins per item so they stay put. We never do it when in port, especially if our balcony faces another ship.

However if I wanted to secure a towel to a chair either on the balcony or on deck, I would get those large towel clips made for that purpose. The wooden clothespins probably won't open wide enough to hold securely. You can get such cute towel clips so cheaply that it is almost a no-brainer.