Pier 29

Friscoonetwo

Once in while when a question is asked about piers at Port Everglades, Pier 29 seems to be called things like dreaded ETC. Other than the fact that it is off the beaten path in comparison to the other piers, what makes it dreaded?

Just asking :)

Pier 29 is only used as a last resort because it's really not set up for embarkation. It's like a warehouse and they use it for overflow.

Terminal 29 has yet to be included in the ongoing renovations at Port Everglades. The check-in area is basically just a big non air-conditioned barn. Yet once the initial crowd has boarded it is much easier to drop off both luggage and passengers there than at Pier 25 which RCI and X use for their second or third ships. But with the renovations of Pier 4 completed after it was vacated by MSC a year ago, you shouldn't see Princess using Pier 29 unless they get the short straw on a day with more than six Carnival Corp-family ships in port.

ADDENDUM: according to the Port Facilities Guide (page 12) Terminals 25 and 29 will be the next to be upgraded.

Once in while when a question is asked about piers at Port Everglades, Pier 29 seems to be called things like dreaded ETC. Other than the fact that it is off the beaten path in comparison to the other piers, what makes it dreaded?

Just asking :)

An excellent question. I don't understand the obsession with the terminals. They're big rooms with chairs, check-in desks, and x-ray machines. I can't imagine even beginning to care what it looks like, what amenities it has, or anything else. And yet there's an entire thread on a new terminal in San Francisco, like it's something more than a place most people will spend maybe all of one hour in. I'd chat more but I have to go try to find out what the waiting room is like at the new car wash down the street.

Pier 29 is only used as a last resort because it's really not set up for embarkation. It's like a warehouse and they use it for overflow.

I think that security and BSO play a little joke on passengers

and intentionally create a maze of containers that you have to

drive through on the way in and out.

The terminal is a dump.

The access is very limited, so it is crowded and slow getting in/out.

There is no parking there.

An excellent question. I don't understand the obsession with the terminals. They're big rooms with chairs, check-in desks, and x-ray machines. I can't imagine even beginning to care what it looks like, what amenities it has, or anything else.

Do you ever drive to the terminal?

Berth 2 -- the parking garage is right next to the terminal building.

Clear customs, walk to car, on your way in 5 minutes...

Berth 29 -- clear customs; walk to bus-stop; wait for parking garage

shuttle; take shuttle to mid-port garage. Bail out car; Drive back

to berth through very slow traffic to pick up bags and Mrs. Pablo.

(as they wouldn't allow big bags on the shuttle)

on your way in 45 minutes...

Do you ever drive to the terminal?

Berth 2 -- the parking garage is right next to the terminal building.

Clear customs, walk to car, on your way in 5 minutes...

Berth 29 -- clear customs; walk to bus-stop; wait for parking garage

shuttle; take shuttle to mid-port garage. Bail out car; Drive back

to berth through very slow traffic to pick up bags and Mrs. Pablo.

(as they wouldn't allow big bags on the shuttle)

on your way in 45 minutes...

I'm going to tell her what you said! :eek: