Proposed Itinerary

capecruzer

Hopefully someone familiar with the island can help me out with my plans if they need to be tweeked. This thread is a bit bare and I had to dig deep to come up with an itinerary for our one-day cruise ship stop.

We are at St. Barths from 10-7 on a Monday. Assuming we get right off the ship and to our rental car (Welcome Rental $80/day) I planned the day like this:

Drive to Flammands Beach parking area, stopping at Le Petite Colombe Bakery for to-go sandwiches and drinks, hike to Colombier Beach, where we'll stay for 90 minutes or so.

Drive to St. Jean's beach and have a drink at Nikkis. Walk around, do some shopping if anything is open. Head to Point Milou, grab some pictures, on our way to Cul-de-Sac where we can hopefully grab another cocktail at La Gloriette.

Work our way back to Gustavia, most likely with stops at both Saline Beach and Governour Beach before returning car and reboarding around 5:30.

Am I okay with this? My biggest flaw I think is shopping in the hours before 3 pm. Will everything be closed? And, where is the best window shopping?

Thanks, Brenda

Brenda,

It looks like we are on the Constellation cruise with you. Does Welcome Rental deliver the car to the port? Do you drop the car at the port as well??

I'm thinking rental car is the way to go. I'll have 6 people to split it with if we get a car big enough!

Yes, the confirmation states that either they will bring the car to the port or pick us up there and bring us to the car. Look at their available fleet, not sure they had anything that fits six people. Most vehicles were on the small side (4 passengers).

Have you put together any type of itinerary or list of must-see places? Would love to hear what others have planned for the day.

Edited by capecruzer

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but am I mistaken when I think its less than 10 minutes ship to land once we get on the tender? Are the lines long to tender if we make ourselves available asap?

When we were on the Century in Feb the wait getting off was very long. Tender numbers were still being called after noontime. Remember, those on excursions, suites guests and frequent cruisers will get priority tendering. Also, if I recall the tender ride was in excess of 10 minutes. Finally, the tender line in Gustavia was very lengthy all afternoon.

Nothing about tendering in St Barth and your less than 10 minutes is realistic.

Edited by Oville

• 2 weeks later...

Well that stinks :( Hardly worth the effort and $$ if we are not in the car and on our way before lunch. Figure we should be back at the ship for re-boarding around 5:30. Will they set an earlier time for this too because of the lines?

Anyone else have experience with tendering in St. Barts?

Brenda,

Your itinerary is courageous. It will be great if you can make it work. The only comment I would have is that you probably want to do Colombier before La Petitie Colombe. Otherwise you will have an early lunch. The drive from Gustavia to Colombier is 10 minutes, if that.

Also an alternative to Nikki Beach is La Plage, at the Tom Beach Hotel. Also on St Jean beach but less of a tourist trap. A lot of locals hang there. You can make your decision when you look at the places.

I can't comment on tendering unfortunately. I have never been on a cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Infinity last week and took the tender to St Bart's. The tender ride was short -about 10 minutes. We got tender tickets as soon as we could - it took about 15 minutes from the time we got the tickets until we boarded the tender.

Based on our experience you will be fine.

There weren't many people on excursions since Celebrity didn't offer many so that wasn't an issue.

There were lines for the return trip but they moved quickly. I think we waited for less than 15 minutes. And, as long as you are on line they aren't going to leave you!

Go and enjoy - based on some of the negative comments here we considered not getting off in St Bart's. That would have been a mistake. We really liked St Bart's and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Edited by Jeal

Thank you Jeal for your input. Things are starting to look a little more positive again :) It would be a shame to not see the island, isn't that the whole point of cruising? Well, for me it is anyways. I'm a beach person but when cruising I want to see and do things I can't see or do anywhere else! Hopefully we'll have the same luck with tendering as you did.