NCL compared to X

markf

If ship likes were Hotels...NCL would be Best Western or Holiday inn

Celebrity would be Westin or Hilton

Everything across the board is different, food to demographics. Celebrity is an upscale mass market ship and NCL is Basic or entry level mass market.

Now false economy is going to the upper levels on either Aqua or Haven.

If you do the math you will find that it will be far better to go up a ship class than a cabin class. THat is it is better and cheaper to go with a regular cabin on a luxury inclusive or mostly inclusive ship line like Seabourn, Oceania . On both lines you will receive all the benefits and more for less than you would upgrading on a basic or mass market ship..

The reality is that when you step outside your cabin on a luxury ship your surrounded by luxury at every turn. Getting a special Aqua or Haven class cabin once outside your cabin or area, your on a basic mass market ship.

If you want better... move up in ship lines not so much cabins.... you and your wallet will be more than pleased

I've only sailed Celebrity once so don't have significant experience but comparing suite for suite, I believe NCL is better. The service and perks related to the suite are better on NCL. Even though I feel that the food is better on Celebrity, overall I'd rather do a suite on NCL than a suite on Celebrity. In a standard cabin, it would be the reverse.

HI all!

Interesting thread!:D

I sailed on older X ships (Mercury & Infinity) & found the food to be really good. I also liked that they brought around a tray at dinner with the desserts on it so you could see what you wanted to order. Do they still do that? Another nice feature was the welcome aboard with Champagne or Mimosa.

I sailed on Getaway in May & was really impressed with the food on that ship as well as the entertainment, decor, friendliness of the CD staff, photo display area, actually pretty much everything!;)

HAL also has individual cloth towels that you dispose of after each use in their w/c, as well as Orchids & sometimes a nice view.

Haven't found a cruise line yet that didn't have something a little different to offer & have enjoyed all of them.

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

Interesting thread!:D

I sailed on older X ships (Mercury & Infinity) & found the food to be really good. I also liked that they brought around a tray at dinner with the desserts on it so you could see what you wanted to order. Do they still do that? Another nice feature was the welcome aboard with Champagne or Mimosa.

I sailed on Getaway in May & was really impressed with the food on that ship as well as the entertainment, decor, friendliness of the CD staff, photo display area, actually pretty much everything!;)

HAL also has individual cloth towels that you dispose of after each use in their w/c, as well as Orchids & sometimes a nice view.

Haven't found a cruise line yet that didn't have something a little different to offer & have enjoyed all of them.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo,

Celebrity does not bring the tray of desserts any more, but they still hand out Champagne and Mimosas as you board the ship. Still have cloth towels in the restrooms and hand out iced face towels when you return from shore. HAL and Celebrity have both cut back on the number of flowers around the ship.

Celebrity's Solstice class ships (very bright and modern) have larger cabins (197 sq ft inside cabins) with great bathrooms that include a round glass door shower. They also offer Aqua Class, which is similar to the Haven dining situation on NCL, except these are standard balcony cabins and you dine in a special restaurant called Blu. Very "clean" and upscale cuisine.

I'm hoping that the "new" NCL with the Ultimate Dining Package and the great entertainment will match favorably with Celebrity's product.

We will find out in March!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hi Jo,

Celebrity does not bring the tray of desserts any more, but they still hand out Champagne and Mimosas as you board the ship. Still have cloth towels in the restrooms and hand out iced face towels when you return from shore. HAL and Celebrity have both cut back on the number of flowers around the ship.

Celebrity's Solstice class ships (very bright and modern) have larger cabins (197 sq ft inside cabins) with great bathrooms that include a round glass door shower. They also offer Aqua Class, which is similar to the Haven dining situation on NCL, except these are standard balcony cabins and you dine in a special restaurant called Blu. Very "clean" and upscale cuisine.

I'm hoping that the "new" NCL with the Ultimate Dining Package and the great entertainment will match favorably with Celebrity's product.

We will find out in March!

Enjoy!

Hi Kel:

After 32 Celebrity cruises (245 days onboard) we said a not so fond "farewell" last year and haven't looked back.

The Celebrity specialty restaurants don't hold a candle to those on Breakaway or Getaway in their staggering variety, excellent standards and cover charges that are generally 1/2 or less than that of Celebrity.

Cold towels were offered on all of our returns to the ship on Breakaway and Getaway.

Now, I almost fell off my seat when you compared Blu to the Haven Restaurant .... they are not even vaguely in the same league.

The Haven restaurant, while offering an admittedly restricted menu offers food that is more comparable in quality to what I have experienced on Oceania. Entrees are truly made a la minute and served in a small, quiet and elegant restaurant. My Blu meals were (barely) a cut above the mass produced fare served in the Celebrity main restaurant.

The Haven really offers the best value in cruising today. Celebrity and especially suites on Celebrity don't even come close.

Hi Kel:

After 32 Celebrity cruises (245 days onboard) we said a not so fond "farewell" last year and haven't looked back.

The Celebrity specialty restaurants don't hold a candle to those on Breakaway or Getaway in their staggering variety, excellent standards and cover charges that are generally 1/2 or less than that of Celebrity.

Cold towels were offered on all of our returns to the ship on Breakaway and Getaway.

Now, I almost fell off my seat when you compared Blu to the Haven Restaurant .... they are not even vaguely in the same league.

The Haven restaurant, while offering an admittedly restricted menu offers food that is more comparable in quality to what I have experienced on Oceania. Entrees are truly made a la minute and served in a small, quiet and elegant restaurant. My Blu meals were (barely) a cut above the mass produced fare served in the Celebrity main restaurant.

The Haven really offers the best value in cruising today. Celebrity and especially suites on Celebrity don't even come close.

Thanks Dr C,

It will be interesting to see if the alternative restaurants match up? Oceania has the best cuisine we've experienced in 50 cruises, so if the Haven measures up to that, it may be worth a look. Of course, our balcony on the Jewel is $800, and they want $3,700 for a Haven cabin. Cruise once in the Haven, or four times in a balcony cabin?

We travel 10 -- 12 weeks of the year, with three or four cruises included. For that reason, we aren't cabin people.(too expensive and we really don't care). The Haven sounds good, but can be very expensive. Kind of like the "Grills" on Cunard. If a deal comes up, I'm sure we will give it a try.:)

Thanks again,

Kel

Edited by kelmac

Thanks Dr C,

It will be interesting to see if the alternative restaurants match up? Oceania has the best cuisine we've experienced in 50 cruises, so if the Haven measures up to that, it may be worth a look. Of course, our balcony on the Jewel is $800, and they want $3,700 for a Haven cabin. Cruise once in the Haven, or four times in a balcony cabin?

We travel 10 -- 12 weeks of the year, with three or four cruises included. For that reason, we aren't cabin people.(too expensive and we really don't care). The Haven sounds good, but can be very expensive. Kind of like the "Grills" on Cunard. If a deal comes up, I'm sure we will give it a try.:)

Agree with the prices on your sailing but on Breakaway and Getaway this year, I have seen Haven prices as low as $1569 - granted still twice what you are paying.

I think that NCL is being very smart in how they market The Haven ... it is being sold as a "ship within a ship" as opposed to what it really is ... a re-imagined, more contemporary and relaxed version of the class-ist Grills.

Thanks again,

Kel

Agree with the prices on your sailing but on Breakaway and Getaway this year, I have seen Haven prices as low as $1569 - granted still twice what you are paying.

I think that NCL is being very smart in how they market The Haven ... it is being sold as a "ship within a ship" as opposed to what it really is ... a re-imagined, more contemporary and relaxed version of the class-ist Grills.

We left Celebrity for a few major reasons and a lot of little reasons ... sort of like being nibbled to death by ducks! One of the "medium" reasons was the quality and cost of the specialty restaurants .... even in Toronto, I can have a very nice meal out in a neighbourhood restaurant without wine for $90 a couple. Unfortunately, the standard "script" in the specialties on Celebrity always seemed to involve our being told numerous times how wonderful our meal was going to be, how wonderful it was and wasn't that wonderful?! when the meals were frequently chain restaurant quality.

Now granted, our experiences were on the brand new Breakaway and Getaway, but we had great experiences in Moderno and Cagney's where the quality of beef was way above Tuscan Grill. We enjoyed Le Bistro but it was not in the same "ambition level" as Murano.

The service was usually excellent ... friendly, non-fussy and non-pretentious.

You will most likely enjoy it and if you don't, at least you got to try something different!

We left Celebrity for a few major reasons and a lot of little reasons ... sort of like being nibbled to death by ducks! One of the "medium" reasons was the quality and cost of the specialty restaurants .... even in Toronto, I can have a very nice meal out in a neighbourhood restaurant without wine for $90 a couple. Unfortunately, the standard "script" in the specialties on Celebrity always seemed to involve our being told numerous times how wonderful our meal was going to be, how wonderful it was and wasn't that wonderful?! when the meals were frequently chain restaurant quality.

Now granted, our experiences were on the brand new Breakaway and Getaway, but we had great experiences in Moderno and Cagney's where the quality of beef was way above Tuscan Grill. We enjoyed Le Bistro but it was not in the same "ambition level" as Murano.

The service was usually excellent ... friendly, non-fussy and non-pretentious.

You will most likely enjoy it and if you don't, at least you got to try something different!

Thanks Dr C,

We are looking forward to it! If I see the Haven price drop to the $1,500 range, I will jump on it and give it a try.

Enjoy!

since I started this thread--I do not agree with the folks that say Blu does not compare with the haven.

I think it compares very well, and in my opinion Blu is better, both in quality, choices, and level of service.

We have been on breakaway, Gem and Epic all in the Haven the last 3 years, service has deteriorated, choices are limited .

I will agree the size of the cabin in the haven is far better that X in Aqua.

What I was trying to point out is that it would not take much to improve the NCL product, to have it in the same league as X.

But maybe , after reading the responses they do not compete with X but rather with RCCL