Does medicine have to stay in its original bottles?

crazycruzer68

The Canadian Gov't recommends the same advice. From this website: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

"Pack all medications in your carry-on baggage in their original, labelled containers to facilitate airport security and customs screening. Prescription medication is exempted from the liquid restrictions but must be presented to the screening officer separately from your carry-on baggage.

Do not try to save luggage space by combining medications into a single container."

If you choose not to carry any medications in their original containers, you face the risk of being questioned and detained by security/customs officials or having your medications seized.

I know this is the official requirement but in practice this doesn't happen. DW for example would have to have a suitcase dedicated to her prescriptions if she had to bring all original bottles. She does bring a list of her prescribed medicine though.

We have gone through customs in both Europe and Canada and have not had an issue with pills not in their original container by any custom agents.

Shak

Edited by Shak

The vast majority do not carry the original bottles and nothing ever happens.

No one has every answered the question about how the police that everyone is worried about will know that the pills in the bottle are what is suppose to be in the bottle.

How does customs in say China know that what is in a vitamin bottle are all vitamins?

How do these know you did not print up a label and stick it on the bottle to smuggle something.

There have never been a first hand story of medicine in pill boxes being taken away and the people but in jail.

If like someone said you are afraid that you will lose important medication then you better carry a prescription with you so you can get a refill.

If I were carrying narcotic drugs I sure would have a prescription or note from a doctor that I needed to carry a lot.

so here is a first hand story of meds taken away (but not jail time)

I was entering Mexico (Cancun airport, not a cruise) with original containers of medication including a narcotic for my recently broken foot. Apparently a dog identified my carry-on, which was then opened. The drugs were okay in their original labelled bottle and I'm sure my crutches and cast helped validate medical need, but multivitamins, calcium, and an antihistamine which i had removed from their large bottles and put in zip baggies were discarded since they were not in properly labelled original containers.

Bottom line - you usually are going to be ok, but be aware, especially on essential meds, the customs laws vary by country, so consider finding out local regulations, and follow them if losing your meds could be life threatening.The regulations cited by others in this thread are for entering the USA since they are US customs regulations.

Should not have happened. This is from TSA's publicity blog . . .

http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html

I don't want to be the person standing at security arguing with a security official what they should be doing. :eek: Not everything in life happens the way it is supposed to happen. That plane will close it's door and fly away without me if I'm arguing security should not be confiscating my meds if that is what they wish to do.

My philosophy is the easier I make it on them, the easier they (hopefully) will make it for me. Most of us have enough stress and grief to deal with we don't need to add to it especially when embarking for a happy vacation.

The vast majority do not carry the original bottles and nothing ever happens.

No one has every answered the question about how the police that everyone is worried about will know that the pills in the bottle are what is suppose to be in the bottle.

How does customs in say China know that what is in a vitamin bottle are all vitamins?

How do these know you did not print up a label and stick it on the bottle to smuggle something.

There have never been a first hand story of medicine in pill boxes being taken away and the people but in jail.

If like someone said you are afraid that you will lose important medication then you better carry a prescription with you so you can get a refill.

If I were carrying narcotic drugs I sure would have a prescription or note from a doctor that I needed to carry a lot.

In this day and age of iPads and smart phones,,,,,, a quick click will give them a photo of what every named medication/pill should look like. Years ago, there were desk top medication books but no need for that now.

As to 'get a refill' if you take the risk and it is confiscated, most insurance will deny coverage for duplicate refill. Unless it is time for you to submit to insurance for your meds. For some pricey drugs, that could run into a large sum.

Also, an Rx from a U.S. doctor well could not be honored outside U..S. Same for other countries in reverse including Canada and Mexico.

so here is a first hand story of meds taken away (but not jail time)

I was entering Mexico (Cancun airport, not a cruise) with original containers of medication including a narcotic for my recently broken foot. Apparently a dog identified my carry-on, which was then opened. The drugs were okay in their original labelled bottle and I'm sure my crutches and cast helped validate medical need, but multivitamins, calcium, and an antihistamine which i had removed from their large bottles and put in zip baggies were discarded since they were not in properly labelled original containers.

Bottom line - you usually are going to be ok, but be aware, especially on essential meds, the customs laws vary by country, so consider finding out local regulations, and follow them if losing your meds could be life threatening.The regulations cited by others in this thread are for entering the USA since they are US customs regulations.

Great advice. My philosophy is to make it as easy as possible to get through airport screening, customs check points and even cruise ship screening. As others have noted, being detained and questioned can cause one to miss a connection.

It is also important to note that when we travel, we are rarely aware of any alerts that may have been issued for a particular day. These alerts may very well be to more diligent screening.

Remember, we do not have a right to visit another country - any country can refuse us entry. Also remember that as a citizen of a particular country, say Canada, you have the right to come back into your country, but you have to demonstrate that you have that right. And, remember, while you have the right to return home, that right does not extend to any of your personal belongings or goods.

I use the webster pack and take my prescriptions with me. I have never been asked about my meds in all the cruising I have done.

Cruise ships usually will not question medications. It is much more likely to happen at airports and when disembarking to go through Immigration/ Customs when entering a country.

As long as you are not stopped by a sniffing drug dog you are OK.

If the pup hits you positive expect to be "invited" to go to a nice quiet room to explain what each pill is for. Hope you remember because if not that is when the fun starts. Naturally you will miss your flight and maybe miss some freedom as well.

I usually just put mine in the 2 week container but not sure if this is allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always take them on my carry - on with no problem, even with a 2 +week supply.