When do You Put Your Luggage Tags On?

Hyundaigirl

Ok I'm in countdown mode and a bit panicky. We added some stress to all of this by moving the week before our cruse which leaves this Saturday the 27th. I've printed the tags and I can't for the life of me remember when I put the cruise tags on the luggage the last time we cruised back in 2010.

Should I put them on just before we head out to the port? We're arriving in Rome a day early and will head out from our rome hotel on Saturday morning.

Thanks

Don't give the luggage tags a second thought. You don't even need to have them affixed to your luggage when you arrive at the port, as long as you know what cabin you're in. The porter can make up tags for you before he takes your bags away. But seeing that you do have them, you can put them on when you please. We put ours on before we leave the house. In the rare case that the airline loses our bags, they can see the tags and know to deliver them to the ship. At least that's our logic.

Ok I'm in countdown mode and a bit panicky. We added some stress to all of this by moving the week before our cruse which leaves this Saturday the 27th. I've printed the tags and I can't for the life of me remember when I put the cruise tags on the luggage the last time we cruised back in 2010.

Should I put them on just before we head out to the port? We're arriving in Rome a day early and will head out from our rome hotel on Saturday morning.

Thanks

We put them on just before we go to the port. Figure they're likely to get torn off on the plane. If your luggage does get lost or delayed, the airline will ask you where you want the bags delivered. These days they can usually even tell you where the bags are and when they will get to your destination.

But the porters will have extras at the port if needed.

As said, do not give it a second thought. We do not put ours on until we are heading to the port. They will usually get ripped off by the airlines, and serve no real purpose. If you cannot find yours, just give your stateroom number to the porter when you reach the port and they will affix one for you. Just go and enjoy your vacation

We do not put the luggage tags on until the night before when we are in the embarkation city. If you have the luggage tags on the luggage on the flight there is a chance that baggage handlers will put bags in a separate place to be delivered to the ship and you don't have your luggage for the night.

We usually do one to two weeks pre cruise so the luggage tags just are in the document folder along with all the hotel reservations, tour vouchers, embarkation documents etc. that you need. A fun little ritual that the cruise is finally HERE! A small roll of packing tape left over from your move will come in handy to attach the luggage tags the night before if you don't have the official ones.:D

Have a wonderful cruise and really relax! You deserve a great vacation now that the move is over.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I agree with the above suggestions...in Copenhagen in August I handed the luggage tags to the greeter at dockside. The tags needed to be stapled around the luggage handles and who travels with a stapler? He was happy I had them in my purse, I guess it saved him the one step of hand-writing them, but either way the nice Danish man seemed very welcoming.

It was a good start to a lovely cruise. I wish you the same.

Bon Voyage!

I somewhat disagree...if your luggage gets lost during connecting flights, you really want it delivered to the ship and not back to your home! We usually take the items for our hotel for a night or two in our carry on. If you are staying at a hotel for two or three nights, it may be enough time to have the luggage delivered. The cruise line we are sailing with next actually sent us luggage tags preprinted with the ship and pier to affix.

We were lucky enough to order and get the adhesive tags so they have gone on the cases for our flight tomorrow and the spares (azamara always send at least 3 for both of us) go in my handbag for putting on at the port if the others have gone missing en route.