Planning Cruise for Wife's Birthday Help!!

Are you sure a surprise like that is a good idea? If she reads these boards she is probably a researcher and planner. Would she feel left out if you made all the decisions? Maybe she has a strong preference on the ship and itinerary. I found out three days before one cruise. There wasn't time for anticipation and preparation. Every one is different. Only you can decide what will be appreciated.

Does anyone know how you go about booking the chef's table on the Carnival cruise? I figure that has to be very limited seating' date=' and prob only happens once or twice during the cruise.[/quote']

Pretty sure you have to sign up for it once you board the ship.

Good luck!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Are you sure a surprise like that is a good idea? If she reads these boards she is probably a researcher and planner. Would she feel left out if you made all the decisions? Maybe she has a strong preference on the ship and itinerary. I found out three days before one cruise. There wasn't time for anticipation and preparation. Every one is different. Only you can decide what will be appreciated.

She likes looking at the reviews and pictures of peoples trips. When it comes to vacations and actual planning/research of any trip we take I plan the entire thing out. I am a bit like Clark Grizwald when it comes to vacations. I search everything out and plan everything down to the hour. I don't like to leave any leaf unturned. I want to know everything about what we are doing and where we are going. That way I can make the best decision for the family and ensure that we make the move of our time. This trip is more about relaxation and being about the 2 of us. The 2 of us have not been away together without the kids in years. We have been to Vegas a few times, and I thought about doing that again. Kind of a hard city to relax in though. I looked into Jamaica or Cancun all inclusive trip, but I think the kids would like Jamaica too much and would be upset with me if I planned a trip there without them. A cruise is really the only way to go. We both enjoy the hell out of them. My kids aren't fans of the kids clubs except on Disney, so if I stay away from them, then they will not care. Plus I've made plans for them to spend some of the time with their friends while we are gone. They are all reeked up for that!!

I am the one that doesn't like surprises, not her. She enjoys and will appreciate the effort that went into the planning, especially for her birthday. She will be floored by the effort of pulling it off without her knowledge.

Again, after 25 years together I know her as well as myself. I would never do anything that would make her uncomfortable in any situation. Trust me, she will love it!!

Sorry for the random thoughts and lack of structure in the post. Mind starting down the path and the fingers just hit the keys.

Edited by Don't tell my wife

And if wifey does happen upon this thread and starts reading it' date=' the OP gave up a lot of info about them.:rolleyes:[/quote']

She's got no clue. Even if she stumbles upon it she will never suspect it's me. Even as I lay in bed typing this response. I am confident I can pull this off. Once she knows I will have her jump on here and give you guys her response in her own words. I haven't given enough specifics to teather me to this thread. Her birthday could be in a week, month, or 3 months. Lots of wives have birthdays within that timeframe.

Ok so I made the decison and booked with Carnival. I then debated on with room to get. Personally I wanted a balcony, but I could not justify the cost being double that of an Oceanview room. With that said, Oceanview really doesn't strike me because it just seems to be a window behind the bed. I didn't see anyway to really enjoy the view, until I came across the porthole rooms. I like that they have a little nook up in them that you can climb into and gaze out in the morning before the other wakes or when we are getting ready for the evening. Bonus for me that they are classified as an interior room. Oceanview for interior price sounds good to me. Plus we have a family cruise booked on another "mega ship" (not to be named at this time) in the not too distant future after we return from the carnival cruise.

I just about spilled the beans the other day. I was alone in the house researching all of the websites and reviews I could find when all of the fam came home. One of my kids asked whet I was looking at and without thinking said "just looking at stuff about the cruise." My kids eyes got big and wide. My wife was right behind her. I the said "what you know about the one we are taking on "insert mega ship here." Luckily my wife was none the wiser. Guess I'm going to have to waste time at work researching now just to keep my yap shut!!!

Anyway she still has no idea. I found nifty birthday cruis cards online that I am going to pick and have the kids write a little something in it for her. Also going to plan a couples massage i thing for her on her actual birthday while onboard. She has had many massages in the past, but I have never experienced it. I feel I need to treat myself too for all of the work and stress that has gone in to planning this little covert mission. I have not slept good for weeks due to all of the planning that is involved. So much more going into this mini trip than some of our bigger family vacations over the years!!

I am going to set up some hidden cameras and put together a little video from me telling her, and our adventure along the way.

I'll share it with everyone when it is done. I will also have her get give her reaction when she finds out.

Good luck and glad to hear a vacation surprise is her sort of thing.

I personally would be pissed if my husband pulled a stunt like that.

There are several things I do before we go on vacation that my husband probably doesn't even realize (turn down heat, turn on lights, feed pets, clean house-can't stand to return from a trip to laundry and dishes, take out trash, have out things needed for work the day we return including my lunch, fill gas tank, cancel mail, call bank for intl. travel, postpone deliveries, pay bills, alarms, set email to "away", organize my desk at work, charge my phone, get book for plane...) we've been married many years and I'm certain my husband hasn't noticed I do all this every time we go out of town.

I'd spend the entire surprise trip worried that a box of perishables were on the dark porch, and we'd return to the stench of the trash and litter box, I'd have to wake early Monday to wash and iron work clothes and then go to the gas station, and I'd have left some confidential or messy project on my desk....

Ugh, just thinking about it is stressing me out. I hope you're not my husband as I too have a 29+11 birthday coming up. :eek:

Good luck and glad to hear a vacation surprise is her sort of thing.

I personally would be pissed if my husband pulled a stunt like that.

There are several things I do before we go on vacation that my husband probably doesn't even realize (turn down heat, turn on lights, feed pets, clean house-can't stand to return from a trip to laundry and dishes, take out trash, have out things needed for work the day we return including my lunch, fill gas tank, cancel mail, call bank for intl. travel, postpone deliveries, pay bills, alarms, set email to "away", organize my desk at work, charge my phone, get book for plane...) we've been married many years and I'm certain my husband hasn't noticed I do all this every time we go out of town.

I'd spend the entire surprise trip worried that a box of perishables were on the dark porch, and we'd return to the stench of the trash and litter box, I'd have to wake early Monday to wash and iron work clothes and then go to the gas station, and I'd have left some confidential or messy project on my desk....

Ugh, just thinking about it is stressing me out. I hope you're not my husband as I too have a 29+11 birthday coming up. :eek:

I hope I'm not your husband too. My wife likes surprises and will be nothing but floored by this trip. She will appreciate everything thing that has gone into it, and I have already thought about all of those things you mentioned. She is going to truely love this. The best thing is she would never expect something like this.

Edited by Don't tell my wife

I surprised my gf with a surprise birthday cruise on the Freedom and she was blown away!! I told her some of my friends from key west were getting married and since we would already be in the keys we should just stay for a few days after the wedding .She got the time off from work and packed her bags and had no idea what we were doing until we pulled up to the porters and she lost it!!! She was blown away and i was happy to see her so happy. I even had a heart shaped cake brought to the steakhouse for her birthday dinner. I think your wife will love it!!!

She may want a mani/pedicure, a haircut....whatever.

That's what I was thinking! And what if she has scheduled a doctor or dentist appointment during the surprise cruise time, and there's a charge if she cancels with less than 48 hours notice? What if she buys expensive tickets to a play during the surprise cruise time?

IMHO she would wish that she had known about the cruise ahead of time, so that she could properly schedule her nail, hair, and medical appointments, and she would buy play tickets for another night.

Ok so I made the decison and booked with Carnival. I then debated on with room to get. Personally I wanted a balcony' date=' but I could not justify the cost being double that of an Oceanview room. With that said, Oceanview really doesn't strike me because it just seems to be a window behind the bed. I didn't see anyway to really enjoy the view, until I came across the porthole rooms. I like that they have a little nook up in them that you can climb into and gaze out in the morning before the other wakes or when we are getting ready for the evening. Bonus for me that they are classified as an interior room. Oceanview for interior price sounds good to me. Plus we have a family cruise booked on another "mega ship" (not to be named at this time) in the not too distant future after we return from the carnival cruise.

I just about spilled the beans the other day. I was alone in the house researching all of the websites and reviews I could find when all of the fam came home. One of my kids asked whet I was looking at and without thinking said "just looking at stuff about the cruise." My kids eyes got big and wide. My wife was right behind her. I the said "what you know about the one we are taking on "insert mega ship here." Luckily my wife was none the wiser. Guess I'm going to have to waste time at work researching now just to keep my yap shut!!!

Anyway she still has no idea. I found nifty birthday cruis cards online that I am going to pick and have the kids write a little something in it for her. Also going to plan a couples massage i thing for her on her actual birthday while onboard. She has had many massages in the past, but I have never experienced it. I feel I need to treat myself too for all of the work and stress that has gone in to planning this little covert mission. I have not slept good for weeks due to all of the planning that is involved. So much more going into this mini trip than some of our bigger family vacations over the years!!

I am going to set up some hidden cameras and put together a little video from me telling her, and our adventure along the way.

I'll share it with everyone when it is done. I will also have her get give her reaction when she finds out.[/quote']

I think it's absolutely WONDERFUL! I did a surprise cruise for my DH this past February. I got him the time off, etc., without him knowing. Had everything prepaid. My initial plan was to not spill the beans until we got to the airport. But, I chickened out. I gave him his birthday cruise as his last Christmas present. I had made up a binder with all sorts of info in it, had the itinerary in the front, etc. He was just blown away. His boss said it just about killed him to keep the secret that long (6 months).

I asked him if he'd have been okay if I waited until the last minute and he said, "Um, cruise. Yes!" I'd be the same way. I'm low maintenance, and if someone went to the trouble to do this for me, I'd enjoy it like crazy. So long as you packed me enough clean underwear to last the trip, I could find anything else I needed!

Carnival isn't our usual line, but we did Fantasy about 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad you didn't splurge on the balcony. They're tiny and kind of useless. Porthole is the way to go. Chef's Table was a delight and did not fill up fast, so don't worry about that. Just call and/or go by and book it shortly after you get there.

You're a delight, and a great husband. Do NOT let anyone rain on your parade. Go for it and earn all the good husband points you so richly deserve!

Does anyone know how you go about booking the chef's table on the Carnival cruise? I figure that has to be very limited seating' date=' and prob only happens once or twice during the cruise.[/quote']

I believe you can only book on board. On our Fantasy cruise in July they were walking around the ship on embarkation day looking for customers. In our case, I happened to email the maitre d ahead of time because I had an accessibility question. To my surprise , he answered my questions and also gave us a reservation via email. You can contact him at famaitred@carnival.com.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app