What would you change on Azamara?

Logos11

It is time that the menus in the specialty restaurants were brought up to date. We found them far too salty, too many heavy sauces. It seemed to mask quality food and is Not healthy which more people today know.

The art action seemed useless never saw anybody there in our two weeks.

Music on board needs severe updating.

I agree with Tommiu's statement:

Art auctions which seem to reflect all that is worst in cruising. I wonder if the cost factor is matched by the profits they make. Certainly creates a certain amount of ill-will. Use the space for used by the pianist.

When we walked into the Quest in December, after two years away, we were greeted by a lot of bright colored "art" pieces that take a lot of room around the Mosaic Cafe. It made deck 5's staircase/atrium area look crowded and smaller than it is. To use the space for the piano and/or additional seating for the Cafe would be a classier choice.

We wondered if AZ passengers actually purchased the "Times Square" and "ladies in bright colors" framed prints until the people in the table next to ours told us that they went to the final auction to find out if anyone really bought the stuff. Yes, multiple items sold for $3000 to $5000 (USD), a lot more than our dining room neighbors had expected. So, yes, there appears to be a market for these pieces and profit to be made. But seeing them all over deck 5 creates a feeling of ill will. AZ's "country club ambiance" is tarnished by these pieces. I don't remember seeing anything like it when I went to the country club growing up.

In sum, no "art" auctions. More additional seating and/or piano on the other side of Mosaic Cafe.

This story is more amazing than the AZ-Amazing evenings! I have often wondered if anyone ever, ever purchase the art on sale on ships, and now I have some evidence. Amazing! In my perfect world, art auctions and art sales would be banned from AZ (and all other lines).

Instead of an "Enrichment Program", how about a "Destination Immersion Program". People cruise for entertainment, but I would suggest that a majority of Azamara passengers cruise for the destination itself - to experience new places, to learn and to broaden their horizons. Lectures on our Antarctic cruise where "standing room only"! How about shifting the focus on entertainment per se to knowledge and information relevant to the itinerary.

Ideas include:

- provide resources in the Library that relate to the itinerary, including field guides, maps, books on culture, history, politics, geography etc.

- stock the shelves with novels set in the areas visited

- show movies and documentaries that are relevant to the itinerary (During a navigational talk given by the Captain on our recent Antarctic cruise, he showed short film on Port Lockroy - excellent)

- ensure lectures that are relevant to the itinerary (so disappointed that, of 6 lectures given by Nigel Marvin on our recent Antarctic cruise, only 2 were relevant to the region and/or were repeats of lectures heard on previous cruises. Sorry, I am not interested in learning about Grey Whales off the coast on North America when I am in Norway or in the Antarctic)

- provide live commentary when scenic cruising - what are we seeing, where are we exactly, what birds and marine wildlife have been sighted - for example on cruises in Norway, Antarctica, Panama and Suez Canals, Halong Bay.

Improving the on-board experience would greatly enhance the Destination Immersion experience - far more, in my opinion, that the Azamazing Evenings.

This is a terrific idea! On both of our AZ crossings, there was very, very little about the ultimate destinations. On one destined form Rouen, France, there was absolutely nothing. On the other, destined for Sevilla, just a simple lame slide show. Other lines do a much better job preparing PAX for the destinations and ports.

Instead of an "Enrichment Program", how about a "Destination Immersion Program". People cruise for entertainment, but I would suggest that a majority of Azamara passengers cruise for the destination itself - to experience new places, to learn and to broaden their horizons. Lectures on our Antarctic cruise where "standing room only"! How about shifting the focus on entertainment per se to knowledge and information relevant to the itinerary.

Ideas include:

- provide resources in the Library that relate to the itinerary, including field guides, maps, books on culture, history, politics, geography etc.

- stock the shelves with novels set in the areas visited

- show movies and documentaries that are relevant to the itinerary (During a navigational talk given by the Captain on our recent Antarctic cruise, he showed short film on Port Lockroy - excellent)

- ensure lectures that are relevant to the itinerary (so disappointed that, of 6 lectures given by Nigel Marvin on our recent Antarctic cruise, only 2 were relevant to the region and/or were repeats of lectures heard on previous cruises. Sorry, I am not interested in learning about Grey Whales off the coast on North America when I am in Norway or in the Antarctic)

- provide live commentary when scenic cruising - what are we seeing, where are we exactly, what birds and marine wildlife have been sighted - for example on cruises in Norway, Antarctica, Panama and Suez Canals, Halong Bay.

Improving the on-board experience would greatly enhance the Destination Immersion experience - far more, in my opinion, that the Azamazing Evenings.

This is an excellent post. I would happily participate in all these ideas!

We've only been on one Azamara cruise & loved it. What we didn't like was that we were "chided" in both Discoveries & Prime C for not finishing our dinners. They were huge! We explained that at home we would have split ONE of those meals. We felt terrible for wasting the food but there was no way we were going to eat all of it. "Small plate" offerings would be great. One reason why we ate most dinners at Windows or onshore.

Returned recently from our first with Regent after several with Azamara, we didn't miss Azamara's included drinks list or the Azamazing evening at all. These would be our main candidates for change. We did miss, so would not like to change, the White Nights evening and the Jazz Brunch. The latter helps to pass the sea days and we didn't think that Regent offered anything similar.