What would you change on Azamara?

Logos11

To be honest we are not G&T connoisseurs and at home normally use supermarket own brand tonic, but have to agree even by that standard the Royal Club tonic is horrid. We did however find that there was a reasonable amount of low calorie Britvic tonic onboard and that to us was quite acceptable. Downside for John was the Pyrat rum supplied in the CC suite as he acquired quite a taste for it!! only to find out how expensive it is to buy back home, just as well we will be back on Quest in a couple of months time so he can get his "fix".

Downside for John was the Pyrat rum supplied in the CC suite as he acquired quite a taste for it!! only to find out how expensive it is to buy back home, just as well we will be back on Quest in a couple of months time so he can get his "fix".

I too have acquired a taste for Pyrat rum since discovering it on Azamara. Good stuff!

....Downside for John was the Pyrat rum supplied in the CC suite as he acquired quite a taste for it!! only to find out how expensive it is to buy back home, just as well we will be back on Quest in a couple of months time so he can get his "fix".
Count me in for acquiring a taste for Pyrat thanks to Azamara! I'm not a big fan of hard liquor but I thought it was an absolutely delicious sipping rum. But sadly, it appears that Pyrat has been replaced by Bacardi Gold. The AZ website says that all suites now get a 375 ml bottle each of Stolichnaya Vodka, Bacardi Gold Rum, Bombay Sapphire Gin and Johnnie Walker Red Label Scotch. Hope we can do a swap for Pyrat ... but if not, that's what I'd like to change on Azamara. ;);)

Count me in for acquiring a taste for Pyrat thanks to Azamara! I'm not a big fan of hard liquor but I thought it was an absolutely delicious sipping rum. But sadly, it appears that Pyrat has been replaced by Bacardi Gold. The AZ website says that all suites now get a 375 ml bottle each of Stolichnaya Vodka, Bacardi Gold Rum, Bombay Sapphire Gin and Johnnie Walker Red Label Scotch. Hope we can do a swap for Pyrat ... but if not, that's what I'd like to change on Azamara. ;);)

That's a downgrade for both the rum and scotch. Not nice Azamara.

There are people who don't drink - either by choice or medical reasons. Why should they

subsidize those who want to drink?

Art auctions which seem to reflect all that is worst in cruising. I wonder if the cost factor is matched by the profits they make. Certainly creates a certain amount of ill-will.

Use the space for used by the pianist.

There are people who don't drink - either by choice or medical reasons. Why should they

subsidize those who want to drink?

Art auctions which seem to reflect all that is worst in cruising. I wonder if the cost factor is matched by the profits they make. Certainly creates a certain amount of ill-will.

Use the space for used by the pianist.

Unless you use everything on a ship, you are subsidizing those do use it. That includes alcohol, fitness center, entertainment, etc. Until everything is a la carte, including food, that will be the case. I took a look at the list of the complimentary alcohol and it's not that expensive.

I have been sailing on Azamara since 2009. Each time has been very different. After the first cruise, I couldn't wait to return. It was a great cruise. There were no extras included. I paid for laundry, paid tips, paid for drinks, etc. no amazing evenings. Just great service, excellent food, and lots of happy people. Loved the butler. Next time, it included wine with meals, tips, and laundry. Prices were slightly higher. Still wanted to return. My most recent cruise was 14 nights with the included drinks, tips, and Amazing Evening. Prices were high. Food was just okay...not as good as I had remembered. Amazing evening was not amazing. Ship looked like it needed work. My bed was terrible. Carpet in cabin was worn. Door to veranda had hanging weather stripping. Menus in Discoveries were stained. It looked shabby. I left wondering if I really liked it. I loved where Azamara took me. The ports were fabulous. How I got there? Not so fabulous. It was a good cruise that needed help. i truly hope that Azamara becomes a real luxury line. Renovations are needed ASAp. I just disembarked from Another cruise line 14 nights Caribbean. Azamara was not sailing there this winter. Other line was better. Cabin was larger. Bathroom was larger. Towels were thicker and toiletries were good. Bed was really comfortable. Veranda was larger with reclining chairs, foot stools, and table. Food in MDR was better than Azamara. I have 4 more cruises booked. None are on Azamara.

I have been sailing on Azamara since 2009. Each time has been very different. After the first cruise, I couldn't wait to return. It was a great cruise. There were no extras included. I paid for laundry, paid tips, paid for drinks, etc. no amazing evenings. Just great service, excellent food, and lots of happy people. Loved the butler. Next time, it included wine with meals, tips, and laundry. Prices were slightly higher. Still wanted to return. My most recent cruise was 14 nights with the included drinks, tips, and Amazing Evening. Prices were high. Food was just okay...not as good as I had remembered. Amazing evening was not amazing. Ship looked like it needed work. My bed was terrible. Carpet in cabin was worn. Door to veranda had hanging weather stripping. Menus in Discoveries were stained. It looked shabby. I left wondering if I really liked it. I loved where Azamara took me. The ports were fabulous. How I got there? Not so fabulous. It was a good cruise that needed help. i truly hope that Azamara becomes a real luxury line. Renovations are needed ASAp. I just disembarked from Another cruise line 14 nights Caribbean. Azamara was not sailing there this winter. Other line was better. Cabin was larger. Bathroom was larger. Towels were thicker and toiletries were good. Bed was really comfortable. Veranda was larger with reclining chairs, foot stools, and table. Food in MDR was better than Azamara. I have 4 more cruises booked. None are on Azamara.

I've seen this same posting too many times here, to the point where it's getting tiresome. To me, it's all just a complaint about Azamara raising prices to the level that they can operate 690 passenger ships profitably. All of this business about how great it was before wine, liquor, etc., were included is just a smoke screen to complain about the increased prices.

We spent more than a month on Journey this past June and July. The food was terrific as it has always been. The beds in the two staterooms we had over the course of the three cruises were fine. The on-board attention from Captains Johannes and Jason, Hotel Director Heike, Executive Chef Frederic, and other senior officers was like no other cruise line. There was no sign of shabbiness.

As far as I'm concerned, Azamara's pricing is in line with the experience it provides. Less money than the much-overrated Regent, and yet a better overall experience in my opinion, warmer and friendlier, and with many small personal touches that Regent simply overlooks. Comparable prices to Oceania, with much more included.

Azamara should not and cannot return prices to the level of four and five years ago and still stay in business. I wish people here would understand that and stop whining over current prices. So if anyone thinks a posting like the one quoted above is going to influence Azamara to change its "more included" policy and reduce pricing to years-ago levels, they are just wasting keystrokes here. It's not going to happen.

If someone wants to spend less than Azamara prices, there are plenty of cruise lines that can accommodate that on larger ships that cannot provide the intimate Azamara experience. Azamara offers frequent promotions (e.g., BOGOHO, veranda-for-the-price-of-an-inside, etc.) that provide significant savings over the standard pricing, for those interested.

I agree with Tommiu's statement:

Art auctions which seem to reflect all that is worst in cruising. I wonder if the cost factor is matched by the profits they make. Certainly creates a certain amount of ill-will. Use the space for used by the pianist.

When we walked into the Quest in December, after two years away, we were greeted by a lot of bright colored "art" pieces that take a lot of room around the Mosaic Cafe. It made deck 5's staircase/atrium area look crowded and smaller than it is. To use the space for the piano and/or additional seating for the Cafe would be a classier choice.

We wondered if AZ passengers actually purchased the "Times Square" and "ladies in bright colors" framed prints until the people in the table next to ours told us that they went to the final auction to find out if anyone really bought the stuff. Yes, multiple items sold for $3000 to $5000 (USD), a lot more than our dining room neighbors had expected. So, yes, there appears to be a market for these pieces and profit to be made. But seeing them all over deck 5 creates a feeling of ill will. AZ's "country club ambiance" is tarnished by these pieces. I don't remember seeing anything like it when I went to the country club growing up.

In sum, no "art" auctions. More additional seating and/or piano on the other side of Mosaic Cafe.

I agree the garish art has completely spoilt the ambience of Mosaic and surrounding areas and is totally out of keeping with what you expect from a destination focussed higher end cruise line.

Whether the space should have a piano I'm not sure - I'd vote for more tables to sit at first

I've seen this same posting too many times here, to the point where it's getting tiresome. To me, it's all just a complaint about Azamara raising prices to the level that they can operate 690 passenger ships profitably. All of this business about how great it was before wine, liquor, etc., were included is just a smoke screen to complain about the increased prices.

We spent more than a month on Journey this past June and July. The food was terrific as it has always been. The beds in the two staterooms we had over the course of the three cruises were fine. The on-board attention from Captains Johannes and Jason, Hotel Director Heike, Executive Chef Frederic, and other senior officers was like no other cruise line. There was no sign of shabbiness.

As far as I'm concerned, Azamara's pricing is in line with the experience it provides. Less money than the much-overrated Regent, and yet a better overall experience in my opinion, warmer and friendlier, and with many small personal touches that Regent simply overlooks. Comparable prices to Oceania, with much more included.

I have to disagree with you on this one. The beds were fine because they were upgraded in late 2012 on both ships, although not enough has been done since in other areas in my opinion. The cabins themselves are in sore need of updating (and apparently the next scheduled drydocks will do so). Redtravel certainly is not the only poster in the past year or so to mention the need to upgrade/update both Azamara ships to keep up with other comparable-sized ships on other cruiselines.

One thing the all-inclusive drinks has accomplished in my opinion i(having sailed in October 2012 without the extensive drinks-included menu and then September 2013 on the same ship) is that there is a great deal more drinking and its consequences, whether you are pro or con.

The great itineraries/time in port and the size of the two Azamara ships makes Azamara one of the two cruiselines of interest to me, but not the chance to get plastered on alcohol or chat with the officers. The latter is a unique feature but other than the Cruise Director and entertainment staff plus good reception desk personnel, it is not a priority to me at all.

I do not address the food served because that is even more subjective.

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by CintiPam

Yes !! Since I don't drink I haven't booked Azamara. I think your numbers are way off, RCL charges $55 PER DAY for their all inclusive alcohol package. I sailed on Azamara before it became all inclusive and the prices were lower. I refuse to pay for someone else's alcohol consumption. If they offered a discount to those of us that don't drink I would love to sail on Azamara again.
My numbers are right on in terms of what it COSTS Azamara to provide the liquor package. What you apparently refuse to understand is that Azamara's increased prices reflect what it costs to operate a 684 passenger ship at a near-luxury level, not the adding of the liquor package. Adding included liquor was done in order to compete with cruise lines at that price point that offer liquor as part of their all-inclusive package. Azamara lost money on every passenger when you "sailed on Azamara before it became all inclusive." I'm flabbergasted that some here just can't seem to get that into their heads.

Enjoy your cruises on other lines.

My numbers are right on in terms of what it COSTS Azamara to provide the liquor package. What you apparently refuse to understand is that Azamara's increased prices reflect what it costs to operate a 684 passenger ship at a near-luxury level, not the adding of the liquor package. Adding included liquor was done in order to compete with cruise lines at that price point that offer liquor as part of their all-inclusive package. Azamara lost money on every passenger when you "sailed on Azamara before it became all inclusive."

You're exactly right. There is no way Azamara would be able to survive if it offered fares lower than they do now. There is a reason that most of the cruise lines are getting away from small ships - it's because of the economics to profitably operate this size of ship. I am a newbie to Azamara (and I don't know what their fares used to be), but we were so happy with our first cruise on Journey a couple of months ago that we have switched half of our upcoming bookings to AZ. We feel that the fare that we paid for the Club Continent Suite is in line with the standard of product they offered onboard. We don't drink alcohol, but still enjoy the fact that our sodas or other non-alcoholic drinks are included in the fare. We found the ship to be absolutely lovely and look forward to a long relationship with this line. We can't fault them in any aspect of their product.

Michael

What I would change?

I would get rid of some people at the head office who panic when on board a Cruise Director has made a promise to a guest, which the office does not like.

Just say: We are very sorry, but we can't keep this promise.

NEVER start lying about it!

For me the change will be too late, for after 12 or 13 Azamara Cruises I will not return after this unbelievable treatment.

Ofcourse I would also stop the Azamazing next-to-nothing-shows, but this is less important than honesty.

I agree with most of what you wrote. I would also include dining in the specialty restaurants complimentary. Menus in Aquilina and Prime C need changes. The cover charge of $25 is absurd. The upscale lines do not charge for specialty restaurants. They do limit the times so that all guests can have the opportunity to enjoy the specialty venues. I didn't pay extra on Oceania or Windstar.

I would also stop the spa girls from pushing papers in your hands. They are very annoying. They are also wasting paper. In this age when being green is popular, sending a ad from the spa to each cabin is terrible.

The sale tables outside the shops is ugly. It reminds me of going to a flea market, bargain basement, or a garage sale. I don't go to them on land. Why would I want to sell piles of cheap junky clothing or watches on a table? If I wanted to shop, I would go into the stores. It makes the ship look shabby.

Re: the spa--don't like their pushy sales tactics. Went for a pedicure and felt I had to swat them off as they pressured for additional services. Won't go again, will go to my regular spa before I leave home.

Edited by AvastMate

• 2 weeks later...

While I generally agree that Azarama has a very good product, I don't understand the lack of a sparkling wine and port, even on the upgraded drink package(s). The "we save champagne for special occasions" is an absurd, and downright stupid, argument.

On a side note, I recently took a NCL short Caribbean last minute cruise on their megaship with an included drinks package, and that package even included a Prosecco and port on a cruise that cost a fraction of Azamara.

JS

Edited by PSULion

My 2 cents - I agree, get rid of the art auction and pushing the spa! The Amazing Evenings are quickly going down hill - either stop doing them or up the quality. My other 2 pet peeves are: there needs to be in cabin paper recycling (for all the spa hand outs) and what is with the towel racks?? It's impossible to hang your towels in some sort of orderly fashion to help them dry.

While I generally agree that Azarama has a very good product, I don't understand the lack of a sparkling wine and port, even on the upgraded drink package(s). The "we save champagne for special occasions" is an absurd, and downright stupid, argument.

On a side note, I recently took a NCL short Caribbean last minute cruise on their megaship with an included drinks package, and that package even included a Prosecco and port on a cruise that cost a fraction of Azamara.

JS

I so agree with this. It's totally ridiculous not to serve a sparkling wine like Prosecco or Cava onboard .....how many people have said it now? I don't mind paying for it at all but I would love the option, so please Azamara reconsider this stupid policy!

Azamara should not and cannot return prices to the level of four and five years ago and still stay in business. I wish people here would understand that and stop whining over current prices. So if anyone thinks a posting like the one quoted above is going to influence Azamara to change its "more included" policy and reduce pricing to years-ago levels, they are just wasting keystrokes here. It's not going to happen.

If someone wants to spend less than Azamara prices, there are plenty of cruise lines that can accommodate that on larger ships that cannot provide the intimate Azamara experience. Azamara offers frequent promotions (e.g., BOGOHO, veranda-for-the-price-of-an-inside, etc.) that provide significant savings over the standard pricing, for those interested.

Well said.:)

This from the web: Wine Lover Packages

"Wine lover packages include all bottles of wine valued at $50 or less. More than 80 wines to choose from, including five sparkling wines, 35 white wines, 5 rosé wines and 35 red wines."

What I'm hoping for is something like prosecco at the beginning of the dinner service.

Instead of an "Enrichment Program", how about a "Destination Immersion Program". People cruise for entertainment, but I would suggest that a majority of Azamara passengers cruise for the destination itself - to experience new places, to learn and to broaden their horizons. Lectures on our Antarctic cruise where "standing room only"! How about shifting the focus on entertainment per se to knowledge and information relevant to the itinerary.

Ideas include:

- provide resources in the Library that relate to the itinerary, including field guides, maps, books on culture, history, politics, geography etc.

- stock the shelves with novels set in the areas visited

- show movies and documentaries that are relevant to the itinerary (During a navigational talk given by the Captain on our recent Antarctic cruise, he showed short film on Port Lockroy - excellent)

- ensure lectures that are relevant to the itinerary (so disappointed that, of 6 lectures given by Nigel Marvin on our recent Antarctic cruise, only 2 were relevant to the region and/or were repeats of lectures heard on previous cruises. Sorry, I am not interested in learning about Grey Whales off the coast on North America when I am in Norway or in the Antarctic)

- provide live commentary when scenic cruising - what are we seeing, where are we exactly, what birds and marine wildlife have been sighted - for example on cruises in Norway, Antarctica, Panama and Suez Canals, Halong Bay.

Improving the on-board experience would greatly enhance the Destination Immersion experience - far more, in my opinion, that the Azamazing Evenings.