El Morro Fortress

wanda1213

Definitely worth a visit. Take a taxi from the pier (it's uphill) then a leisurely walk back down thru Old San Juan. Take a rest stop in one of the plazas (NOT MickeyD) for coffee (excellent) or a cold drink. Along the way, be sure to visit "The Butterfly People".

http://www.solboricua.com/sanjuan.htm

http://www.butterflypeople.com/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/saju/morro.html

http://welcome.topuertorico.org/city/moremorr.shtml

We did basically the same. Cab up and then walked back about ½ way.

There is a free city loop bus that you can use to get around and back near the ports. You can get info on the bus at the desk when you go into El Morro. You'll have a few blocks to walk from where the bus drops you off.

As far as El Morro itself, it was very interesting. There is a short movie shown frequently about the fort itself.

We had early seating and got to view El Morro in the twilight as we were leaving. For us, a great cruise memory.

Charlie

Absolutely worth it. There were so many people outside with families flying kites and enjoying the weather. Found the Fort fascinating and cruising by it at night was so cool.

Debbie

I agree! We loved seeing all the families out for the day with their kites. The view was breathtaking! Not to be missed.

Have visited El Morro 3 times with our kids. They love it! I agree that if you can, walk back to the ship after you visit El Morro - give yourself plenty of time. Enjoy the plazas, cathedrals, etc., and stop for a cold drink along the way. A very nice day.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess that's true !! We will be starting from the dock (don't know which one) as we will be on the Norwegian Dawn - does that help?

No matter your age or your athletic ability, I would still recommend taking a taxi up to El Morro. It's not that much in US dollars --- you need your strength to walk up and down the myriad of staircases at the fortress if you really want to experience the entire site.

DH & I spent about 2 hours at El Morro on our X Millie cruise in April. Each staircase you travel - the different view of the harbor and the city you get. We never made it to every staircase up and down within the complex, even in our two-hour time there.

Luckily by taking a taxi from port to El Morro we still had the energy to start walking down into the city and enjoyed every view along our way. Had we walked up to El Morro from the port, we probably would not have had the energy to do our walking tour of the city and our trolley ride from city to port afterwards.

Dianne

Is El Morro open on Sat????

In August,we went on a Saturday and the fort was open until 5 or 6pm. Same went for San Cristobal. Check their website to be sure, though.

We paid one fee and saw both. And we enjoyed both. THen again, I'm a dork and find history that you can touch simply amazing.

I agree with *****. It is a very nice walk along the harbor to the fort and most of that walk is pretty flat. You just have to walk up hill around the area where you go through the gate. We didn't find it difficult at all, but we are a very active family.

At El Morro, be sure to take a look at the old cemetary there. My husband and I actually went down and walked through it. There are some beautiful tombstones. There is a famous actor buried there (Raul Julia, maybe? Someone please correct me on this if I am wrong). We were told that there are many tourists who are so taken with this cemetary that they actually buy plots to be buried there.

From El Morro, we also kept walking around with the ocean on our left and walked to San Cristobol. Just don't wander into the neighborhood down below the road to the left, between the road and the ocean. It's not supposed to be a good area.

For the walk back, though, be sure to walk through the city streets. It is very interesting and lots of neat sites to see. We always enjoy our days wandering in OSJ and have never gotten lost or had any difficulties.

Enjoy!

We did this a couple of weeks ago. Started walking, but it was SO hot and humid we grabbed a cab. It was only $6 or so. We got a cab at the fort and got dropped off about half way back to the ship so we could walk around OSJ.

I am beginning to sound like a broken record - if you have read any of my other posts - you will know what I am talking about : but here goes,

GO TO YOUR BOOKSTORE AND BUY FROMMERS "CARIBBEAN PORTS OF CALL"

Make sure and get the 5th edition (latest printing) for $16.99. It is well worth the investment. Why?

It has so much information on all the caribbean ports....

What to do (inc. cost and times things are open)It has an awesome walking tour of old san juan/forts all detailed out for you...where to start, turn left turn right etc... and each thing to visit with times/costs - cant go wrong !

best ship tours

best own your own tours

how to get around (costs of taxis buses and advice on renting/not renting a car)

restaurants

shopping

beaches

a little history thrown in

where NOT to go (bad areas)

and much more... Wish I had bought it before my first cruise.

I keep going back to it for info even tho I have all my island excursions figured out for our cruise in Nov. Each port we will be visiting is earmarked 1,2,3 etc for easy reference.

texancruzer - thanks for being a "broken record" one more time - for some reason I had missed your other posts on frommer's - so I went to Border's today and got the book - Our cruise isn't for another 13 months, so I will have plenty of time to study it. Thanks again. Jan

JanInMaine: Glad I could help. I guess it is ok to be a broken record :rolleyes:

I am just one of those who researches stuff to death and plans alot. I can't imagine spending all that money for a vacation and waiting till I step foot on the island and saying "OK now what do we do?" My dh used to tease me but he appreciates that I know what there is to do and then we decide together what we want to do . We travel with my brother/wife some and he always says "Don't plan out every second but then when we get there he always says " Ok what are we doing today?" and always says that was the best vacation he ever had !!!!

Anyway have a super cruise !!!!!

I also tend to plan everything out. Because of that I have been accused of being kind of bossy. So on one of our vacations I decided I wasn't going to do it and I let everyone else make the decisions. Well, mostly they were clueless and would constantly ask me what we were doing next. Then when we were going on our next cruise I was asked over and over again if I had the plans set for the various ports. They learned their lesson. :D

BTW, I love Frommer's guide to cruising the Caribbean. It has served me well over the years. I never leave for a cruise without it.

Archived