Dinner Reservations

kenmerloo

Good Question.

Do they take anytime dining reservations for the first night? I don't know for sure.

I think I recall trying to make first night anytime reservations and getting told by the dine one person they don't make them.

Then onn my last cruise on the first night there was a line for people with reservations.

So I an confused.

Call the DINE line. There is a button on the phone that connects you.

If there's no dedicated button on the phone, the number is 3463 (D-I-N-E).

Do they take anytime dining reservations for the first night? I don't know for sure.

I think I recall trying to make first night anytime reservations and getting told by the dine one person they don't make them.

Then onn my last cruise on the first night there was a line for people with reservations.

So I an confused.

MDR reservations are usually only taken for 5:30 & earlier and 7:15 & later. The times in between are "1st come, 1st served".

The wait time to be seated depends on the itinerary, passenger demographics and willingness to share a table.

Some maitre d' allow standing reservations, some don't and it's only same day reservations.

The DINE line is open from 8am to 5pm.

On the first day, do we go to the restaurant to make reservations, or book by phone. ( we are on anytime dining )

Thanks

Are you asking because you have never cruised before and wonder what anytime dining means? You do not need to make reservations. If you do not have a preference for time, you can just show up at one of the anytime dining rooms when you are ready for dinner. There may or may not be a line. The head waiter will ask if you would like to share a table with others. Answer yes or no, and then you will be taken to a table, or asked to wait until one is available. With anytime dining there isn't really a need to make reservation. During peak dining times you may need to wait for a table. Being willing to share a table will cut down the waiting time.

Jackie

Jackie

On the first day, do we go to the restaurant to make reservations, or book by phone. ( we are on anytime dining )

Thanks

On Island, there is one Main Dining Room (MDR) for Traditional Dining (TD) and one MDR for Anytime Dining (AD). There are a number of specialty dining venues (additive charge).

The AD MDR does not require reservations, you just show up. If you feel the need to reserve a table on any given night, you may find that the current maître d' may not take them during peak hours or may not take them at all. If MDR reservations are accepted, you may be required to call in on a daily basis or they may allow you to make a standing reservation for the entire cruise. The maître d' will be at a location on the first day to deal with dining issues. Time and location will be listed in the Patter. You won't know for sure what the AD reservation policy is until you board the ship.

The specialty dining venues don't "require" a reservation either but it is highly recommended that you do so. Quite a few people go to the specialty restaurants on "formal" night(s) and they tend to be very busy.

Enjoy!

Not yet! Hopefully, soon.

Hmm, I think things work well just like they are. I don't want to see a two class system of early bookers and late bookers where the late bookers get shut out due to all reservations taken at their time of booking.

Hmm, I think things work well just like they are. I don't want to see a two class system of early bookers and late bookers where the late bookers get shut out due to all reservations taken at their time of booking.

Me too...I prefer 1st come, 1st served once on the ship & have rarely had any problem with booking a specially restaurant onboard.

On RCI it's possible to pre-resrve specialty restaurants & if I recall correctly requires payment in advance just like their shore excursions. They also charge a penalty fee if canceling onboard a day or so in advance.

I think the current system works well on Princess & do not want to see reservations prior to boarding. Princess appears to want to go to a prepaid system like RCI which to me would be a big mistake. Not having to pre-pay for these things with Princess is one of the things that keeps me returning to Princess.