Question re Booking Handicapped Rooms

TrinaLC

Quote by Johnny: If you had any idea how many hurdles the "truly disabled" (key word) go through everyday I don't think many AB's could handle it.

So, you don't think my mom is 'truly disabled'. :eek: Gosh, them there are fightin' words. ;)

After one major stroke, many mini strokes, and muscular dystrophy to boot, she is 'truly disabled'. You call her semi AB because she can take a few steps with aide?.............give me a break. Now I am semi AB. I am also disabled. I have muscular dystrophy. However I will not book a handicapped cabin. I will be crawling thru that cabin door and sitting on my butt in the shower before I ever book a handicapped room. I understand your attitude as your spouse is totally confined but don't pick on other disabled. And I still think NCL was way out of line.

Okay, the beating is over. :p Have a good day.

Linda

Well, I put my two cents in on that thread, and now I'm getting the fire retardant ready for all the flaming I'll probably get. I'm sorry, but I'm getting sick and tired of people booking HC cabins because they're so much bigger or because it's the only one left in the category they want.

Your right Darci, you are going to get flamed alive....

It's been my experience that the ones that are the most defensive about these issues are the biggest abusers....

They can't see past there nose...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty9

Well, I put my two cents in on that thread, and now I'm getting the fire retardant ready for all the flaming I'll probably get. I'm sorry, but I'm getting sick and tired of people booking HC cabins because they're so much bigger or because it's the only one left in the category they want.

Your right Darci, you are going to get flamed alive....

It's been my experience that the ones that are the most defensive about these issues are the biggest abusers....

They can't see past there nose...

Oh man some one call the fire department. she reall going to be flamed.:D

finucaneis right thought its the biggest abusers that will do the flaming.

As for showing poof of my disability. I can do that, how many letters form, and how Doctors of mine do you need them from? I turned do a handicap room when I called CC To infrom them of the meds and needs I had. She asked if I would be able to Step up at lest 8-inches. I had to get out a yard stick to see if I could, Just made it.

The last thing We has Disabled People need to be doing is fighting amongst ourself, on who is more desrving or is more disabled. What we really should be doing is Educating The AB's and the Cruise lines to our needs, and all the diffenrt kinds of Disableitys. We all no matter what our disability, want to samething.... To live our life with the same respect given to anyone. We want to be able to travle, to experance life.

How can we do this if we are fighting amongst ourself???

Oh man some one call the fire department. she reall going to be flamed.:D

finucaneis right thought its the biggest abusers that will do the flaming.The last thing We has Disabled People need to be doing is fighting amongst ourselfquote]

Bingo sixy-six......... You nailed it!

Enjoy your day wherever you are.

The flaming has started. And of course, they are defending the act of the AB booking an HC cabin. These people just don't get it, do they? I'm sick of the mantras, "if it's the last cabin in a category, then why not allow an AB to book it", or "why should the cruise line lose money on those cabins, if they can sell them to an AB---it's just good business". Some day, at least one of those who book HC cabins will find they need it because of some physical impairment. And I bet they will be the ones who scream discrimination the loudest if there aren't any HC cabins available because the AB have been allowed to book them.

Some day, at least one of those who book HC cabins will find they need it because of some physical impairment. And I bet they will be the ones who scream discrimination the loudest if there aren't any HC cabins available because the AB have been allowed to book them.

No doubt about that......... And your right, some don't get it but most just don't care, it's all about "deserving" to many. Those feel why should a gimp get such a nice cabin, I'm better than them! It's all about them and theres.

I'll catch up on the inferno that will be roaring today later on...

Light the torches...........

Good day Darci,

I do not see anyone here flamin gyou...what am I missing?

So, you don't think my mom is 'truly disabled'. :eek: Gosh, them there are fightin' words. ;)

Okay, the beating is over. :p Have a good day.

Linda

Thanx for the beatin but nowhere did I or anyone else insinuate the degree of your mothers disability.... Go back and read the posts...

Interpretation is mistaken here. Nobody is picking on any specific individuals at all. No attitude regarding my spouse, we've lived with it for many a years. I am although feeling a little sensitivity on your part??? May I'm being a little sensitive about that?

Any way Linda, no intent on my end... Sorry if you took it that way.

With that out of the way I'm outa here cuz I've said and heard I'll I need to!

Good day all and Happy Cruising... That's the main purpose!

Redsoxfan, the flaming isn't on this board, it's on the Royal Caribbean board where I posted about AB booking an HC cabin.

Boy, those people need some sensitivity training. Especiall that guy "64". Is he ever nasty with his comments. But what I read into his comments is that we have a person who knows he's wrong, and he's trying to defend himself by being rude and insensitive.

What I think we need is something I've done in the elementary school where I taught. We had "Disability Awareness Week" where the kids took turns and had to spend the entire day with some kind of disability, be it in a wheelchair, with a walker, being blindfolded or wearing noise canceling headphones. You would not believe how the kids reacted when they realized how difficult it was to have any kind of disability. We even went out into the community so they could see how tough it is to do even the simplist tasks while disabled. It gave the kids a very different outlook.

Some disabilities are invisible. did you know that on the DAWN grab bars in the shower and by the toilet are only available in HC cabins?

Also, ever see a physically HC person try to climb into the bathtub to take a shower?

That's why they have HC cabins.

Also, on the DAWN, the private island is by tender.......no wheel chairs allowed!

We're all equal...............some more equal than others.

Crusing is for fun.............disabled or not. So quit the rumbling.

ever see a physically HC person try to climb into the bathtub to take a shower?

Yes I have seen a person crawl into a tub as well as watch my teenage daughter whose legs are totally paralyzed have to stick her face down into a toilet to pull herself up on the toilet because her wheelchair wouldn’t fit in the bathroom and a handicap room at a hotel was taken by an able bodied person that didn’t want to move rooms because they liked the space in their room.

Cindy

I want to add what just happened to us. We had an Aft Wheelchair Assessiable Room booked for South America. We go in March of 2006 and Booked it August of 2004 (yes that is right - 2004 - on the day the cruise was posted.) Last week - our TA got a call from Celebrity asking if we would move for some shipboard credit. It seems they had a special person they wanted to get into an aft cabin. My TA asked if the people were wheelchair users since this room was a handicap room. Celebrity did not reply which gave the answer. My TA stated that we required that room and infact has a strict policy of his own that he will not honor any ones request to book a handicap room unless they need it. If this was the cruiseline calling -- we not only are fighting the AB wanting more space -- we now are fighting the cruiseline trying to get these rooms for "their special guests".

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, let me start by saying that when I first went to book my cruise, I requested 2 HC staterooms that were next door to each other. One for my parents (mom needs it) and one for myself and daughter (AB). Thought it would be more convenient for 'us'. My travel agent explained that she could book us both rooms, but that we could be bumped if a truely HC person needed the room. I immediately canceled the room and got a mini-suite 7 doors down. Yes, the mini cost me more money and is just a little bigger than the HC, but I figure come check in day, if the room next to my parents is available I will ask to change so that we can be next door. If not, we are just 7 doors down and the 13 year old is quite quick!! I can not imagine anyone in my moms circumstances (or in any of the others I have read about) NOT getting access to a HC room because an AB booked it. It is just wrong!!!

Archived