Question re Booking Handicapped Rooms

TrinaLC

We are booked on the Dawn 1/2/06. My husband has Parkinson's disease. We had a hard time booking a hc room. Finally got one but not the catagory we wanted. Only two hc mini's on entire ship. We ended up with a BB hc on deck 10. We needed to have the ability to order real food and have it delivered to the room when my guy can't move about. I will have to live with the limited room service menu for this trip............unless one of the two hc suites cancels. Being handicapped is no joke.............I wish NCL could accommodate us, but they say no. Anyway, we're looking forward to a great trip. If you see us aboat, my guy uses a scooter to get around, say hi. And thank you guys who leave these hc cabins for those who really need it.:D

We are booked on the Dawn 1/2/06. My husband has Parkinson's disease. We had a hard time booking a hc room. Being handicapped is no joke.............I wish NCL could accommodate us, but they say no.

So true travelteam........ You could book a year ahead and those rooms are already gone...... Figure that!

Many of us also wish many of the cruise lines would do a better job, I have heard NCL is one of the worst!

Good luck!

Oh yes we disabiled People have all the perks in life don't we. I am a person with limted mobility. I am getting ready to leave on my first cruise next week, I never knew or even thought of it being hard to get a hadicap room. But to see the number of AB's braging about getting one has been a real shock to me. I really don't have a porblem a with a criseline putting AB people in after the finale paydate. After all they are in the business to make money and emity room does make money. But to have these room booked or even held so no one else can book them I have real porblems.

Dittos sixy-six.........

This is a hot subject for both the AB and the truly disabled. The AB because they feel busted when confronted (the same as placard abusers) and the disabled because they need that space for there appliance.

Vent your frustration to the cruise lines and make it stick. That's the bottom line, the cruise lines don't read the stories on these threads, it's not there job and they really don't care. They would rather not have the disabled on there ships anyway, that's the truth!

Voice it to the cruise lines, someday they will have to answer for it... ADA laws are coming to foreign ships.

Our next cruise on RCCL we booked 10 months in advance and the only accessible cabin they had at that time or ever since was on deck 6 of the Explorer of the Seas. How's that possible 10 months in advance?

RCCL said they won't verify if any of the accessible cabins are AB occupied. Bet a 100 bucks most are.... Thats been our experience anyway...

My 40 year old wife is totally confined to a wheelchair so anything besides accessible is out of the question. She doesn't need the extra space but her chair does...

Good Day to all!

If you think you have it bad getting one handicap cabin you should try to get 2 and then get them next to each other. Both of my daughters have Spina Bifida and are unable to stand. Since not all ships have handicap cabins that will hold more then 2 I have to get 2 cabins.

If you think you have it bad getting one handicap cabin you should try to get 2 and then get them next to each other. Both of my daughters have Spina Bifida and are unable to stand. Since not all ships have handicap cabins that will hold more then 2 I have to get 2 cabins.

cjh,

Yea Princess is not accommodating very well on more than 2 in a accessible room. Better luck we have found on RCCL for 3 people, at least they have sofa beds in some. We like Princess better and next year our last daughter will be off to college and it will be back to just the wife and I. We can go back to Princess....

Good luck in future.

Just came back from Hawaii on the Island Princess and they have several accessible rooms that sleep 3, but someone needs to take the bunk (my dad volunteered...at age 83!). We also have had accessible cabins for 3 on HAL and Celebrity (with roll-away beds).

When I booked NCL HC cabin we needed to state the handicap and let them know the type of wheelchair we would be using. They do check.:)

Ah, but read their small print..they will not allow a Power Chair that is not a collapsible 3 wheel type scooter! :mad: No NCL for us!

Patti:

i know what the rules state, but I would check with them. My husband uses a power chair and we have sailed NCL several times with no problem. Note, his chair is collapsible, but here is no way for them to know it.

Linda:

I did not think that posting was going to make any difference, especially as others seem to be encouraging them. Actually, what I usually do is point out the disadvantages to an HC cabin, leaking shower, no sink storage, etc.

My DD is totallly dependent on a w/c. She has no weight bearing at all. Her chair cannot fit thru the door of a regular cabin. I would love not to have to use a H/C cabin. There is no way we could carry her into the room, several times a day for a 14 day cruise. Then lift her into the bathroom and lay her on the floor of the shower ( she cannot sit without support). At least Celebrity made sure we needed this room. So when you book a H/C room think of me carring my daughter who weighs 86 pounds out of her wheelchair and into the cabin, then back into her chair. I would be just to tired to have any fun. So if you don't need the room, don't book it just for the room...You could always put in a request to be moved to a H/C room at the LAST minute if it is available..Connie

finucane, we are from the redding area also....:)

I booked the NCL Sun for December. I booked directly with NCL. I requested a handicapped cabin for my mom who is in a wheelchair. The reservationist asked if my mom was totally confined to a wheelchair. I replied honestly...... no as she is able to take a few steps but it is dangerous as her balance is so bad. Reservationist told me HC cabins are supposed to be only for people totally confined to a wheelchair. Also said we would be bumped out of the cabin if someone totally confined to a wheelchair booked. That woman made me feel like a criminal booking a HC cabin when my mom IS handicapped and in her wheelchair 95% of the time. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I ended up cancelling and booked thru Carnival who was very nice and helpfull.

That woman made me feel like a criminal booking a HC cabin when my mom IS handicapped and in her wheelchair 95% of the time. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I ended up cancelling and booked thru Carnival who was very nice and helpfull.

There intention is not to make you feel like a criminal.... Those rooms are to be held for the "totally confined". It's not a rude thing. At least she can get out of it 5% of the time as opposed to someone who is totally confined 105% of the time as with my wife or runnerandme's daughter and many others who can't even get into a shower without being lifted into, laid on the floor or even get into the bathroom for that matter. If you had any idea how many hurdles the "truly disabled" (key word) go through everyday I don't think many AB's could handle it.

You just have to draw the line somewhere, the truly confined should be allowed to travel also.

So my case in point would be should someone who is "confined" be denied a cabin and not have a vacation and enjoy like everyone else just because an AB or in your mom's case semi-AB'ed took that cabin when another might have even been better for them? Like maybe closer to an elevator?

As I have said before, those cabins are for the appliance not the individual... Actually we have heard from many cruisers who use an appliance to get to and from but are able to exit it on occasion that they prefer a smaller compacted cabin, easier to get around in, less walking....

I'm sorry you felt offended, but as I have said before, that seems to be the case.

No hard feelings, just ask for consideration and common respect for the "truly disabled"... Remember, almost all of us will be in a wheelchair towards the end!!! Then maybe some will understand....

Glad NCL held there grounds and that Celebrity accommodated you.

Good Day!

finucane, we are from the redding area also....:)

Connie,

Great place to live........

Actually we live out in Palo Cedro.

I am sure our paths have crossed many a time.

Keep up the good work, sometimes I get so frustrated on these threads because people can't see past there own nose. But for my wife and others I will keep involved... That's the rebel in me I guess?:p

Bye for now.

If you had any idea how many hurdles the "truly disabled" (key word) go through everyday I don't think many AB's could handle it.

Who the heck are you to define "truly disabled"! There are PLENTY of people who can transfer who need these cabins also. Get off your high horse! The ability to get out of the chair should not be the sole defining factor....each case is individual. While I agree there are some who use a wheelchair because they are unable to walk easily who do not need the cabin there are just as many who can get out of the chair and DO need it.

Who the heck are you to define "truly disabled"! There are PLENTY of people who can transfer who need these cabins also. Get off your high horse! The ability to get out of the chair should not be the sole defining factor....each case is individual. While I agree there are some who use a wheelchair because they are unable to walk easily who do not need the cabin there are just as many who can get out of the chair and DO need it.

Whoa Nelly..........

If you would read, I responded to a specific thread, not the whole world dear...

"Definition", is not mine, It is defined by the cruise lines as "Confined". Last I heard that doesn't mean able to get out of!!! As I stated, cabin space is for the appliance, not the individual.

Your definition of "there are just as many who can get out of the chair and DO need it" is just that, your definition. You missed the whole point, by "DEFINITION of TOTALLY CONFINED" (Per the cruise lines). Again, that's not my definition and again meaning NOT ABLE TO GET OUT OF.............................................

Your very right Patti, every disability is different but "confined to appliance" means just that, CONFINED!

Oh, by the way I don't own a high horse, low horse or any horse for that matter...

Enjoy the rest of your day Patti!

This thread seems to be going around in circles.

Finucane, Which cruise lines say that these rooms are for the "TRULY DISABLED" who are "TOTALLY CONFINED"?

As mentioned in my earlier post (#24) I've checked with a couple of cruise lines and travel agents and they say that HC cabins are for ALL people who are mobility impaired with proof of disability.

Just because someone is not "totally confined" does not mean that they are not "truly disabled". It also does not mean that they don't need as much accessibility as a wheelchair does. A mobility impaired person still has to get in a shower and through doors without climbing over steps, ledges etc....

I have written to Celebrity asking that they clarify this on their website once and for all. Maybe it will stop all of these different interpretations of who and who doesn't have rights to these cabins.

Happy Sailing

This thread seems to be going around in circles.

Yes your right on that one cruisinfromcanada. One thing I guess we can all agree on is that "disability" conversation always ends up in a big circle....

Fact of the matter is that when the whole HC cabin thing started years ago ALL cruise line defined access to those cabins where for those "confined to a wheelchair or appliance". Unfortunately I do not have this written in stone for you but that's what we have been told by Princess, RCCL, travel agents for years and as noted back on this thread today by unbarger on post #43 she was told the same by NCL.... The cruise lines are walking on thin ice here and probably will not offer that conversation to anyone unless pressed, it's a hot potato.... And it won't come from a customer service rep, maybe a supervisor.

I guess you just have to take my word from what I have been told (or not). I can't prove it to you so take it as you may. What I do know is that someone "confined" (not able to get out of) can bump someone who is not confined. I personally wouldn't do that but it does happen all day long...

The fact is that is there are so many different degrees of what are considered "disabled" that if your pregnant down here in the States, your considered disabled and are entitled to laws of the ADA, including parking placards???

I don't have the answers, just stating what you asked me for and what I have been told by the cruise lines, travel agents, etc. and obviously I am not the only one that has been told these things, look at these threads, it's endless.

It is my understanding that there are bills going through Congress defining some of these laws pertaining to ADA towards the cruise lines weather they are registered in or out of this country.... Then again, maybe thats just BS also, hey?

Good luck with Celebrity, they wont post a thing and you should know that. I agree they should do allot of things.........

Well, I put my two cents in on that thread, and now I'm getting the fire retardant ready for all the flaming I'll probably get. I'm sorry, but I'm getting sick and tired of people booking HC cabins because they're so much bigger or because it's the only one left in the category they want.

Archived