Bermuda "must buys"

beasfriend

Having spent a week on the island I agree with a previous poster that there are not any must buys in Bermuda. Toured the Dockyards and thought the blown glass was fairly poor quality and the rumcakes were dry but the flavors were interesting. It's jnteresting enough to browse and sample but nothing I can't live without. Skme people seem to get excited about buying rum when they're in the islands so there's plenty of that available. There will also be plenty of little tchotches to choose from if you just want a lttile souvenir.

Hi!

I haven't been to Bermuda in about a year, so I don't know the current regulations on going to Sea Glass Beach. BUT "IF" you can go, what is a nice memento of your visit is,- is to pick out a nice piece of sea glass from the beach, and take it to Kelly at Seaglass Jewelry at Somers Wharf Jewelry on Water St. in St. George. You give her your piece of sea glass as soon as you get to St. George, and then as you visit the rest of St. George, shop, eat your lunch, etc. you then go back and pick up whatever type of jewelry you chose (earrings, bracelet, pendant). It's a very personal and special reminder of your visit to Bermuda. I try to do it every visit. Whenever it wear one (I always get a pendant), I never fail to get compliments/questions.

- Miriam

Hi!

I haven't been to Bermuda in about a year, so I don't know the current regulations on going to Sea Glass Beach. BUT "IF" you can go, what is a nice memento of your visit is,- is to pick out a nice piece of sea glass from the beach, and take it to Kelly at Seaglass Jewelry at Somers Wharf Jewelry on Water St. in St. George. You give her your piece of sea glass as soon as you get to St. George, and then as you visit the rest of St. George, shop, eat your lunch, etc. you then go back and pick up whatever type of jewelry you chose (earrings, bracelet, pendant). It's a very personal and special reminder of your visit to Bermuda. I try to do it every visit. Whenever it wear one (I always get a pendant), I never fail to get compliments/questions.

- Miriam

Unfortunately, you are no longer permitted to take sea glass from the dockyard area.

Goslings rum is great, but check your local prices before you go. It would not be worth it to me to carry around something you can buy at home unless the savings is significant. What Goslings does sell is bottled Rum Swizzles based on the Swizzle Inn recipe!! I don't believe they export this as I have not been able to find it at home. I always pick up a couple of bottles. Now you can always say it is easy to make your own and this is true, but this is so delicious and easy.

I also love The Island Shop. The pieces are mostly made in China for the shop. They are beautiful and unique, but not all made in Bermuda. They have a website so you can check it out before you go.

I always enjoy the perfumery (Lili?) in St Georges. They used to make mostly floral based scents, but they seem to have a larger selection now. I found a coconut based scent called South Water that I love. You can take a tour of the factory while there. It is very small.

The Glassworks in Dockyard has a lot of variety and all price ranges. These can make nice gifts as well as the rum cakes that I think are in the same building.

I'm headed back to Bermuda for the 4th time this summer. My first trip was 40 years ago. I am always surprised how little has changed in all that time.

Miriam -- thanks for the info! Fortunately, sea glass can be found on some of Bermuda's other beaches -- we even found some on Elbow, last year. :cool:

It's really too bad about Sea Glass Beach. There were literally thousands of pieces of sea glass to choose from. Most though, were too small to do anything with. I "assume" (always bad to do) that either the Bermuda government stepped in or the property changed hands (the gentleman that owned it when I last visited was so charming. I always brought him something from home (Pennsylvania) as a little gift, as thanks for letting us visit "his" beach, and we NEVER took more than the size of a deck of playing cards. Put them in a zip lock and just carried them back onboard in our backpack with the rest of our belongings from our day of sightseeing, shopping etc. We always stopped to thank him when we left, if he was still outside.

Anyway, Kelly has beautiful pieces of Sea Glass Jewelry already made up at her shop, as well as hand decorated tiles with Bermuda scenes, with sea glass inserts. (I get no commissions ;) )! It's not pottery but still, it's a real authentic Bermuda momento! Glad to see that Sea Glass still drifts up on other beaches as well.

- Miriam

Edited by Clancy14

When I went I bought the Rum Swizzle and the Frog and Onion T-Shirts.

We went to Sea Glass Beach. It really is a very unique place to visit and take pictures. It is owned by Wedco now. Unfortunately, people got too greedy and started taking it by the bucket full.

• 5 weeks later...

I went to the perfumery store in St.George's and bought my 18 yr old son a sampler gift of colognes made from flowers grown in Bermuda and gave it to him for Christmas. He likes cologne and absolutely loved the gift. The sampler contains a set of vials arranged in a flat tin box with a hinged lid. It really was extremely nice -- I think it was around $34. They also make a sampler of perfumes. It's really a lovely gift and it's about as Bermudian as you can get.

I went to the perfumery store in St.George's and bought my 18 yr old son a sampler gift of colognes made from flowers grown in Bermuda and gave it to him for Christmas. He likes cologne and absolutely loved the gift. The sampler contains a set of vials arranged in a flat tin box with a hinged lid. It really was extremely nice -- I think it was around $34. They also make a sampler of perfumes. It's really a lovely gift and it's about as Bermudian as you can get.

Oh yes, great suggestion. I bought a set a few years ago and it had 7 ladies' colognes and 2 men's. You can even split it up and give a vial to several people.:)

A few years ago, a woman caused a big stink because she didn't get the Perfumery pink bag with her purchase, they don't give it with sale items. Seems she was more concerned about the bag than anything.:D

Edited by iheartbda

Years ago my late DH and I purchased some water color paintings. They were unframed so easy to carry home. I had them framed and we have so enjoyed them for all these years. One of the most lovely things we purchased through all our travels. :)

The artists rolled them and put them in tubes for us to carry home safely.

Edited by sail7seas

English china and woolens like sweaters and scarves.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Would you mind sharing the name of store(s) to find nice woolen sweaters?

Thanks. :)

This is a great thread. I'm going to google Frog and Onion T shirts and appreciate all the suggestions. Happy to know about the perfumes and the glass jewelry. But what about Bermuda Shorts? :-)

Edited by sansterre

This is a great thread. I'm going to google Frog and Onion T shirts and appreciate all the suggestions. Happy to know about the perfumes and the glass jewelry. But what about Bermuda Shorts? :-)

When we were there last year, we went to the Bermuda Perfumery, in St. George. But, I think they also have a small shop at RND -- in the Clocktower Mall (I think).

Beautiful classic sweaters and Bermuda shorts at the English Sports Shop, Front Street Hamilton. We miss Trimminghams soooooo much but The Island Shop is great and has classic Bermuda Bags. China, etc. at Blucks. Nothing like home!

I have several beautiful watercolor prints done by Carole Holding. There is a shop inside of Heritage Wharf and I always manage to pick up another print or two with each trip.

After reading your post, I went to look at my watercolors and one is a Carole Holding dated 1986. The other is Mary Zuill (I think that is the signature) and I love them both. They were wonderful purchases we have greatly enjoyed through the years.