New Zealand Australia Review cruise/land December 13 **pics**

Fantastic report, enjoying it along with you.

Boy you are brave!!!! I live in Melbourne, used to the streets and driving on the left but would never ever recommend someone try driving through the Melbourne streets on the opposite side to which they are accustomed. Driving around Hobart and Uluru yes maybe but never Melbourne, but you did it!!!

You are so lucky there was no delay in your Uluru flight, and it all worked for you. Australian airline companies are pretty well known for flight delays, even the more expensive lines. But you did it and it worked. I am so pleased for your mum that she particularly was able to cross off those bucket list items.

Let me tell you, I grew up driving in Miami Florida where we aren't known for being the best drivers but you Melbourne breed take it to another level with your rules. ha ha. It was an experience and I remember we did get honked at once, but it was worth the memories for sure.

Yes, I was glad we arrived in Uluru on time and had the time we did for Mom. Seeing her face in the rearview mirror as we drove into the park when she didn't know I was looking was worth everything. She has repeated the car packing story several times as well. I just love her!!!!!!

Thanks for your kind words.

It's quite late here now and I have an early morning tomorrow (work) but I just had to catch up. Thanks again for sharing :D

Edit-Does it have to end? Tell me you then flew across to Perth and then boarded a cruise to Singapore or something!! ;)

Wow, thanks for following along. I am pleased to read that you've gone past bedtime to catch up. I'm sure after reading of our day in Sydney you need a rest anyway. ha ha.

Sadly, no, our trip ended after Cairns (which I will post today) and we came home. I would love to say the adventure continued, but the adventure will just have to be relived by re-reading and looking at the photos. I will say, it's been hard to choose photos, I took TONS.

Connie

We booked our trip with Reef Experience. We made our way to the Marlin Marina after walking along the esplanade. We found “A Finger” fairly easy. There were signs indicating where to go. We could hardly believe in a short while we would be out in the ocean swimming at the Great Barrier Reef. I felt like I needed to be pinched.

IMG_2372.JPG

We set out on our way and were so excited. The choices of reef spots we might visit were Breaking Patches, Saxon Reef, Norman Reef OR Hastings Reef. I didn’t hear or think to ask though at which we stopped. We boarded and got all checked in and were told to get fins and masks that would fit. We headed inside the cabin and at breakfast. Nothing fancy but good eggs and fruit and juice.

There was a Marine Biologist on board and we learned a lot about the different sea life we would be seeing today. It was very interesting and got us even more ready to hit the water.

This reef trip also provided the opportunity for a free introductory scuba dive. Julio and I both signed up for it but I wasn’t cleared. I had surgery 5 years ago on my lungs and one collapsed. I have done deep diving in the Caribbean since then but the medical people here said I was a no go. I was upset but went ahead snorkeling while Julio did his class and 10 minute dive. He got to go deeper but I felt I got to experience more as he was delayed a long time in the training and demonstration.

Connie%2520054.JPG

Connie%2520077.JPG

I had brought along my waterproof camera but decided the one they had on board available to rent would be of better quality so I went ahead and rented it. I was burned a disk of all the photos I took and had it by the time we docked back in Cairns.

I have seen photos and movies about the reef but I wasn’t prepared for the feeling of actually being there. Breathtaking.

Connie%2520030.JPG

Julio’s dive ended and he joined me back on the boat. Mom took advantage of the glass bottom boat ride at the first reef spot and took our camera with her. She was so thrilled to be able to see so much.

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

We had lunch of cold cuts and salads and fruit. Everything was delicious and then everything was packed up and we headed to the second reef spot.

how long were you in Sydney for total?

We docked in the early morning and were off the ship a bit after 7 a.m. Our flight to Ayers Rock was at 10:30 a.m. the next day.

I'm definitely a planner and we enjoyed every minute of our time available.

Connie

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Thanksgiving Cruise&date=11-23-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Pride

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...8#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2112413

20983-profile.png

Edited by cojuqui

We had lunch of cold cuts and salads and fruit. Everything was delicious and then everything was packed up and we headed to the second reef spot.

Before I move on to the second spot though. Let me share a few more pics from the first spot.

Connie%2520042.JPG

Connie%2520105.JPG

Connie%2520040.JPG

At the second reef spot, Mom joined us swimming. What an experience. She was able to swim along with a guide which was perfect for her.

Connie%2520017.JPG

The marine biologist had a talk out in the water and gave us first hand information about what we were seeing. It was a bonus to the talk she gave earlier that accompanied photos. She brought a few things up from the reef for us to touch.

Connie%2520131.JPG

The photos speak for themselves on the beauty we experienced.

Connie%2520106.JPG

Before I left home I found this photo online, added the words and had it laminated. The vision I had in my head worked out much better. The currents were a bit too strong to take a very good underwater photo but we tried.

Connie%2520262.JPG

When we got back on the boat we decided to take a group photo with the sign. This worked out much better. One other couple got up their nerve it looked like and asked if I would let them take their photo with my sign too. Of course I said yes.

IMG_2344.JPG

Later in the afternoon , we had wine and cheese with cookies and fruit. It was perfect to be able to sit up top and enjoy the breeze and view of the ocean knowing what all was just under the surface.

IMG_2358.JPG

We enjoyed the ride back to Cairns and reliving the activities of the day. What a spectacular activity to end with.

IMG_2359.JPG

Back at the Marina, Mom joined the line of satisfied customers to high five the staff and thank them for the great time before leaving.

IMG_2367.JPG

My thoughts on Reef Experience were that they are a top notch outfit. Everyone was super friendly and knowledgable. We were extremely happy with the meals, the service in comparison to the price. I highly recommend them.

We walked back toward town to get some dinner and then head to the hotel to pack for the final time before heading home in the morning,

Along the way, we saw this view. Julio and I decided we are retiring in these chairs one day.

IMG_2376.JPG

Morning came too soon for us all. We were up and ready for our shuttle early. We got to the airport in plenty of time for our 9:30 a.m. flight.

I longingly looked back down at the reef as we said goodbye to Cairns and headed back to Sydney to change planes and fly back to the U.S.

R3isxkJITYFI4TXTOqjBj3dg-B30owlGzBL7Ju14SbQQP4nmPstSo8EfLuvSo10DgJ-AeQauDj7TgFcEjJeVItmxNHb-1tE1WG9fQSTpVA8H2ldbU6AVekk9Mt8SEuW0vA

A few hours later we arrived in Sydney. What we didn’t know, and what was very different from when we changed planes on our way to Auckland, was that we had to collect all our baggage. We flew from Cairns to Sydney on Jetstar and thats domestic. Once again we had to get a cart for $4 (with no refund for using it. At our home airport, there is no charge) and get all of our bags and go outside to wait for a bus to take us the International Terminal. We waited about 15 minutes before it finally arrived. Luckily we saw a sign while waiting that the bus would cost $5.50 each CASH ONLY to take us there. I had a bunch of leftover money from here and there and thankfully we had enough for the $16.50 we needed for the three of us. I don’t think I’ve ever had to pay for an airport bus to take us from one terminal to another. I will say though, it was quite a far ways. We got off the bus and pay another $4 for the cart and head to the check-in line.

We stopped in the restroom and I couldn't resist taking a photo of the sign in there. Never have I seen such a sign. I guess there is some confusion in some places.

B85VicexoBFA5S29yM8o5GkVroFN7TJ2bopK4X1MXFcx7NUHUqade9k4KQWCGIzR8l1_67-qu1iPpEagGRrAgaVMvWiAVzneMtBM9T4lSboJ7GmnebIC1eEhy9Fh3cmBlA

From there everything went smoothly and we made it our gate with plenty of time before boarding. We had one last hazy, but amazing view out of the window before our LONG 15 hour flight home.

xmiHAZzTsdYyQAW5Sfc6lFCZvKsoyPZvURm5n17f0zA-M2LSnkDH04AAdPqhVDKJIWBrAdCQevBsJ61ue4sk4pMw-I6VWnQ7ldezPYI4QLbg0IAhyX2O0JwzvMy5pTUN8g

Julio and I each got permanent souvenirs of our amazing trip to the other side of the world. Mine on my ankle and his on his shoulder.

Pictures4.jpg

We got to experience so many things. I couldn't have asked for a better time with my husband and my mom. So many memories and stories and photos that we will treasure always.

This is the end of my review. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and re-live my trip with me. I hope you have enjoyed it. If you're taking a similar trip, I hope it is getting you even more excited about what's coming up. Also, I hope maybe I've given you some ideas of things to do or places to see. If you've been to these places before, I hope this review has brought you fond memories of your own trip. I'd like to thank those of you from New Zealand and Australia for being so kind and sharing your wonderful places with us.

JZ1Phwxl_yap0dElBfibqSkXpHBZIETlFt-jZ7AtWINZTYoVXtq0ho-6DZhNTHQn-zkqTOtudd4KbEQGyTS-l_-8hHJh9IlTiLSPlbWjMQYrcMcCdgSEMqNh_mWGpCo1hg

Connie

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...8#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2112413

Edited by cojuqui

This is a wonderful review and very helpful even for those of of us who live around this area.

I have friends from Atlanta who will be visiting the East Coast of Australia and New Zealand in December. I will send them the link to your review as I know your wonderful photos will help add to their excitement.

Thank you. :)

Julie

This is a wonderful review and very helpful even for those of of us who live around this area.

I have friends from Atlanta who will be visiting the East Coast of Australia and New Zealand in December. I will send them the link to your review as I know your wonderful photos will help add to their excitement.

Thank you. :)

Julie

Thanks Julie. Funny how we don't always enjoy everything our own area has to offer. I feel that way sometimes at home, but yet I research the heck out of where I'm visiting. I hope your Atlanta friends find my review helpful. I hope they have as fantastic a time as we did!!!!!

Connie

Thankyou for posting the review of your trip, what terrific photos .I have enjoyed it so much. So glad you had such a wonderful time here, it seems you got to do and see more than most of us who live here. Safe journey home:)

Thank you for the compliment on the photos. I love taking pictures. I am glad you enjoyed my review. I tried to find interesting things for us to see, and your country has SO many things to offer.

Connie

Hi Connie, I reckon that the Australian Tourist bureau should be paying you for the promo you have given us:) Hope to see you on the West coast of Oz someday

Thanks again

Chris

I wish Chris, that would be awesome. I sure did mention a lot of places in Oz and NZ and was so lucky have seen so much. Would love to come back and explore more for sure.

Naaaaaaa, it aint over....can't be :eek:

It's over.....sad, but true.

I have to admit, after I made the last post with the collage, even I went back to the beginning and re-read it.

Connie

:D

Thanks again for sharing. What a wonderful trip you guys enjoyed and really special...and especially for your Mom :)

Yes, so many moments for her that I will carry with me till my own golden years.

Have a great time next month on your own trip. Exciting!!!!!

Connie: Great review! A few questions:

There is some discussion on another thread regarding requirements for traveller prescription medicines entering New Zealand and Australia. If you took any meds with you, what documentation did you provide for customs in both NZ and Australia.

On the Auckland to Sydney cruise we enter Australia in Hobart --how was customs and immigration handled?

Thanks

Yes, so many moments for her that I will carry with me till my own golden years.

Have a great time next month on your own trip. Exciting!!!!!

Thanks so much. It's been a big year with many challenges for us :( It'll be sooooooo great to get away and enjoy a relaxing tropical cruise.

CAN'T WAIT!!

Connie: Great review! A few questions:

There is some discussion on another thread regarding requirements for traveller prescription medicines entering New Zealand and Australia. If you took any meds with you, what documentation did you provide for customs in both NZ and Australia.

On the Auckland to Sydney cruise we enter Australia in Hobart --how was customs and immigration handled?

Thanks

I don't take any meds, but my Mom takes a few, Alzheimer's being one of them. Before we travelled, I looked at the customs website and I believe it said there that unless you are bringing more than a 3 months supply, you don't have to declare regular prescription medication. There was a part in there about bringing paper/document stating what each medication is and it's purpose, but that was about it.

We entered thru Hobart as well and on one of the sea days prior to that we had to fill out our customs paper work. We were given a time to report to one of the lounge areas and told to bring along our paperwork and our passports. Everything was checked, documented and stamped then and our paperwork was collected. There was nothing to do when we arrived in Hobart but to disembark and begin the day.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else and I'll to help with an answer.

Connie

Edited by cojuqui

You are a wonderful daughter! What a treat for your Mom.

Thanks so much for the compliment. She's an awesome mom as well. She's a trooper for sure. I am so glad everything worked smoothly on the trip and she was able to do and see the things she wanted to. I copied this review into Google Docs for her and I think she's read it about 5 times already, even though she was there.

Great review and pictures. We are doing this same cruise in Jan.

How did you get such great underwater shots on the Reef? What kind of camera?

I hope you enjoy your trip as thoroughly as we did!!! If you have any questions about different places, let me know.

I rented the camera from the folks on board. It was $50 to rent for he day and at the end of the day, they had a CD with all the pictures I had taken on it. At first I thought I was pricey and I hesitated, but I knew my little Olympus underwater camera wouldn't take the same quality of photo and who knows if I'll ever be back. I would recommend it if your tour folks offer it. Honestly I would recommend Reef Experience. We had an excellent time with them.

Connie

• 2 weeks later...