New Zealand Australia Review cruise/land December 13 **pics**

• 3 weeks later...

I was just browsing through the Aus/NZ threads this morning, not looking for anything in particular, when I decided to open your post.

I then proceeded to read the whole Trip Report as it was such an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing. It certainly sounds like a very special trip, and wonderful memories made with your mother. :)

I have spent a lovely evening reading your review. Thanks so much for posting. We will be on the cruise the last of January 2015. That is coming up soon!

Won't be long now until your cruise. I hope you have a great time and are getting all your plans in order. I am glad I gave you a peek of things to come.

Connie

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39476968#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2112413

Carnival Pride 11/23/14 Exotic Western Caribbean (review in process) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135404

20983-profile.png

Just read your review, & loved it, it was the best [emoji1]

Thanks so much for taking the time to read thru it.

I was just browsing through the Aus/NZ threads this morning, not looking for anything in particular, when I decided to open your post.

I then proceeded to read the whole Trip Report as it was such an enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing. It certainly sounds like a very special trip, and wonderful memories made with your mother. :)

Wow, thanks for reading. It's nice to see that someone who isn't even planning a trip or re-living one enjoyed my review. I enjoyed writing it as well. Thanks again.

Connie

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39476968#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2112413

Carnival Pride 11/23/14 Exotic Western Caribbean (review in process) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135404

20983-profile.png

Enjoyed reading your review. Relived a few memories from our travels. Agree with previous comments what a wonderful holiday you were able to share with your Mother. Thank you for your efforts!

Glad you were able to reminisce about your own trip while reading my review. That's always a special thing. Yes, my mom is currently reliving the trip again by recounting things in her annual Christmas letter to friends.

Connie

It was a very enjoyable review. I sent the link to my twin in Washington, who will be meeting me in Hawaii. She was very impressed with all your accompanying photos, too.

Thanks a bunch!

Glad you both enjoyed. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. I love taking photos and it's so hard to decide how many to post or how many is too many. I just assume everyone is like me and loves photos too.

Connie

Connie,

I just happened to find your review and read from beginning to end with such amazement! You planned your trip so well! I love your enthusiasm with which you planned and experienced your trip along with your husband and your mother! Your descriptions, details and pictures made for the best read! I love it in some of your pictures how very happy and content your mother looked.

I love your advice in your final summary where you address if you have been to a place, or are going to a place, etc. Some of the places you went we had been so that was great to see the experience thru your eyes. In the places we have yet to go, I can't wait to use your experience and information to make for a better time for us. We have not been on the Diamond Princess and after reading about your cruise, we have moved that up our list of ships to try.

I agree with the OP as well in that you could be a great writer for tourism for Australia. You captured the essence of a lot of Australian locations.

Well done and thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! I look forward to following any of your future trips!

Edited by alibabacruisers

What a great review, with all the photos.

I have been to most of the places mentioned but enjoyed seeing them through the eyes of a tourist.

I guess what most impressed me was the adventurous spirit of you all, especially the mum at 80. Hiring a car, taking off and even doing a hook turn in Melbourne city. Hats off to you, don't know that I would be so brave in a foreign country.

• 2 weeks later...
Connie,

I just happened to find your review and read from beginning to end with such amazement! You planned your trip so well! I love your enthusiasm with which you planned and experienced your trip along with your husband and your mother! Your descriptions, details and pictures made for the best read! I love it in some of your pictures how very happy and content your mother looked.

I love your advice in your final summary where you address if you have been to a place, or are going to a place, etc. Some of the places you went we had been so that was great to see the experience thru your eyes. In the places we have yet to go, I can't wait to use your experience and information to make for a better time for us. We have not been on the Diamond Princess and after reading about your cruise, we have moved that up our list of ships to try.

I agree with the OP as well in that you could be a great writer for tourism for Australia. You captured the essence of a lot of Australian locations.

Well done and thank you so much for sharing your trip with us! I look forward to following any of your future trips!

Your note made my day!!!! I read it a few times and then read it to my husband and then called my Mom and read it to her too. I must have been having an emotional day because it actually made me tear up (in a good way). Your words were so thoughtful and well put, I really appreciate the time you took to write to me. Yes, I'm a planner, to me that is half the fun. I recently took a cruise and we missed a few ports and they replaced one with a place I knew nothing about. I was lost. I didn't know what to? What was there to see? Is there public transportation? I didn't like that feeling at all. I can go with the flow , but I really enjoy knowing my surroundings better.

I am glad to know that I helped you relive some memories of your travels and whet your appetite for some new locales and the Diamond Princess. It is always fun to see people's experiences of the same places you've been and take something new away from it. I truly loved your country and hope to be back.

Maybe we'll see you on board a ship sometime.

Connie

What a great review, with all the photos.

I have been to most of the places mentioned but enjoyed seeing them through the eyes of a tourist.

I guess what most impressed me was the adventurous spirit of you all, especially the mum at 80. Hiring a car, taking off and even doing a hook turn in Melbourne city. Hats off to you, don't know that I would be so brave in a foreign country.

Tourists we were for sure. Wielding our brochures, printouts and cameras. Keeping track of bus schedules was fun and I love riding the local bus and chatting with people. I am never at a loss for words (just ask my husband). We are all pretty adventurous for sure. You only get one go 'round in this life so we enjoy!!! I love my Mom, she is up for anything with no hesitation. Well, unless it's putting on wet swim clothes in the cold. Oh jeez, yeah, that driving in Melbourne was an experience in itself, but we lived to tell.

Thanks for reading.

Connie

Thanks for sharing your Aussie adventures!

We are in early planning stages & your posts were most helpful!

I hope your Aussie trip is as much fun as ours. I am glad you found my information helpful and that it put in the spirit for a great time!!!!

Connie

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your wonderful description and photos of your trip. We are leaving from Auckland on 22nd January 2015 on the same cruise. The only difference is that it is going to Melbourne then Hobart.

You have given us some good ideas of things to experience and places to see.

I went on a Melbourne/New Zealand/Melbourne Cruise on the Dawn Princess with my elderly parents (one in a wheelchair) late January 2011, just before the Christchurch earthquakes. We missed seeing Milford Sound etc due to very rough seas, so I hope that we get to see it this time.

Your enthusiasm is very infectious and we are getting excited and rearing to go!!

Thanks for the great review, even though I am an Aussie and have been to Sydney and Melboune many times I enjoyed reading about it from a first time visitor. I am on the Melb-NZ-Melb cruise in a few weeks and your review has confirmed for me that I should just go explore and not book the pre arranged tours through the cruise ship. It also confirmes that turning up early to things is worthwhile, as a compulsively early person I would have done this anyway but I now know its worth doing so! I wish I had of been there to join you at the trivia games ☺ Thanks again, you have inspired me to write about my upcoming travels!

I just finished reading your very descriptive review and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. We have recently placed a deposit on a cruise out of Sydney around NZ next January. I want to also see some of Australia and you gave me some great ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for your wonderful description and photos of your trip. We are leaving from Auckland on 22nd January 2015 on the same cruise. The only difference is that it is going to Melbourne then Hobart.

You have given us some good ideas of things to experience and places to see.

I went on a Melbourne/New Zealand/Melbourne Cruise on the Dawn Princess with my elderly parents (one in a wheelchair) late January 2011, just before the Christchurch earthquakes. We missed seeing Milford Sound etc due to very rough seas, so I hope that we get to see it this time.

Your enthusiasm is very infectious and we are getting excited and rearing to go!!

Please post back here when you get back and fill me in your trip.

Connie

Edited by cojuqui

• 2 weeks later...
Glad you both enjoyed. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. I love taking photos and it's so hard to decide how many to post or how many is too many. I just assume everyone is like me and loves photos too.

Connie

Just got home last night and haven't much energy today.;)

Everything you wrote about was helpful in understanding where we were.

We only had a few days of summer and had one problem with a coach driver not knowing how to turn on the air conditioning.... :eek: Otherwise, everyone said it was the coldest summer in remembrance. There was a great sale on sweatshirts. I was glad of mine when we were at the Honolulu Airport. They don't know how to regulate the air conditioning....freezing cold!

The trip was a wonderful experience, but badly need to recuperate before planning another trip.

Your note made my day!!!! I read it a few times and then read it to my husband and then called my Mom and read it to her too. I must have been having an emotional day because it actually made me tear up (in a good way). Your words were so thoughtful and well put, I really appreciate the time you took to write to me. Yes, I'm a planner, to me that is half the fun. I recently took a cruise and we missed a few ports and they replaced one with a place I knew nothing about. I was lost. I didn't know what to? What was there to see? Is there public transportation? I didn't like that feeling at all. I can go with the flow , but I really enjoy knowing my surroundings better.

I am glad to know that I helped you relive some memories of your travels and whet your appetite for some new locales and the Diamond Princess. It is always fun to see people's experiences of the same places you've been and take something new away from it. I truly loved your country and hope to be back.

Maybe we'll see you on board a ship sometime.

Connie

I just read your review while trawling through CC.

You will be pleased to know your story continues to give pleasure to readers

I love to hear about people enjoying my country and particularly the way you did it as a family;)

• 6 months later...
Just got home last night and haven't much energy today.;)

Everything you wrote about was helpful in understanding where we were.

We only had a few days of summer and had one problem with a coach driver not knowing how to turn on the air conditioning.... :eek: Otherwise, everyone said it was the coldest summer in remembrance. There was a great sale on sweatshirts. I was glad of mine when we were at the Honolulu Airport. They don't know how to regulate the air conditioning....freezing cold!

The trip was a wonderful experience, but badly need to recuperate before planning another trip.

Haven't been on CC in a while. Sadly because I have no trips planned. :(

That is crazy how cold it was for you, but good that you had a handy sweatshirt. I am glad to hear your experience was grand other than the weather.

Connie

I just read your review while trawling through CC.

You will be pleased to know your story continues to give pleasure to readers

I love to hear about people enjoying my country and particularly the way you did it as a family;)

That's awesome Wally. Thanks for the note. I truly did love your country and plan on going back one day. We love travelling as a family. I have two children currently serving in the Military and we have started discussions for a possible family trip again.

Happy Travelling,

Connie

Haven't been on CC in a while. Sadly because I have no trips planned. :(

That is crazy how cold it was for you, but good that you had a handy sweatshirt. I am glad to hear your experience was grand other than the weather.

Connie

Thanks for the note, Connie. I am still enjoying our photographs. My twin and I celebrated our 80th birthday in May. She came from Washington State to mid-California and stayed about a week. I had another sister and two brothers to celebrate with. I showed our photos from the cruise and everyone enjoyed them.

No other pleasure trips planned for me. Maybe next summer.

Esther

New Me

• 1 month later...

For cojuqui or whomever can answer. Cojuqui, your excursion to Ogo in Rotorua, NZ looks fantastic. I just want to make sure I have the right directions to get there from the ship (I contacted the company but they couldn't give me the bus route).

Exit the ship and walk down to Salisbury Avenue to the bus stop. From there, take the Twin City Express bus over to Rotorua for about $11 NZD.* Arrive at Rotorua CBD and transfer over to the Route 1 bus and ride to Skyline Rotorua for a Gondola/Luge ride. (I was told Ogo is within walking distance of Skyline.)

Walk back down the road to the bus stop near the Gondola and ride back to Rotorua CBD. Take the Twin City Express bus to Tauranga and walk back to the ship.

Are those directions accurate? Or where can I get directions?

Thank you,

Yash