Best thing about Brilliance

I don't recall ever being in a solarium with conditioned air. Usually miserable in Caribbean when closed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Your memory and mine are obviously different, but on our many cruises on Brilliance and other Radiance and Vision class ships, the solarium has always been air conditioned and a welcome respite from the hot, humid outside decks in the Caribbean. It isn't chilly but certainly more comfortable than the outside decks. Only if the roof was open did the hot humid outside air invade the solarium.

I don't recall ever being in a solarium with conditioned air. Usually miserable in Caribbean when closed

Totally agree with you! We sat in there one morning b/c it was rainy outside by the pool. It was SOOOOOOOO Humid in there you about died. I got so closed in and finally just told my hubby I will chance it outside by the pool but I HAD to get out of that solarium. I live in SWFL and I will take my humidity any day over how humid it was in that solarium. How anyone can sit in that claustrophobic box for an entire day is beyond me. Give me my outside pool with my wonderful sun any day of the week.

Things I love about Brilliance:

1. Love the Radiance Class ships for the glass/brass and outside glass elevators

2. Décor is so pretty

3. Going under the Sunshine Sky bridge is a for sure plus with going out of Tampa

4. Even though I don't want to sit in there, the Solarium is very pretty

5. Love getting salads from the Park Café

6. Outside seating behind Windjammer is the BEST! We eat breakfast out there every morning

7. Schooner's Bar on the Radiance Class ships is by far our favorite Schooners of all the Royal Caribbean ships.

We have been on all the ships in the Radiance Class and will be going on Brilliance out of Tampa again in January. Looking very forward to it. Have a great honeymoon!!

Edited by karena1

Your memory and mine are obviously different, but on our many cruises on Brilliance and other Radiance and Vision class ships, the solarium has always been air conditioned and a welcome respite from the hot, humid outside decks in the Caribbean. It isn't chilly but certainly more comfortable than the outside decks. Only if the roof was open did the hot humid outside air invade the solarium.

Sea air is generally not humid. The humidity occurs when you close it up. Kind of like a terrarium for tourists

• 1 month later...

We loved walking laps around the promenade deck each evening around sunset. Great exercise, and a way to mitigate all the dining that Brilliance offers. We also enjoyed the Centrum area. They make good use of it on Brilliance with a good band playing each night and lots of seats available where you can relax and have a drink while you hear some music.

Otherwise, it's just a beautifully appointed ship. You'll enjoy being onboard.

We were on the BOS in October. We really enjoyed this ship. We loved the ship size and layout. We never had to wait in long lines. We liked the smart boards by the elevators--shows how to maneuver the ship, menus, etc.

I guess I would have to say my FAVORITE thing about the ship was the Centrum pool. We swam every single day (and did not mind the retractable roof being closed--did not feel hot or humid to us). One day the ocean was rough and so the pool was also rough--we had a blast. It was like a big wave pool. The water is salt water, too.

Enjoy yourself--happy cruising!

We were on the BOS in October. We really enjoyed this ship. We loved the ship size and layout. We never had to wait in long lines. We liked the smart boards by the elevators--shows how to maneuver the ship, menus, etc.

I guess I would have to say my FAVORITE thing about the ship was the Centrum pool. We swam every single day (and did not mind the retractable roof being closed--did not feel hot or humid to us). One day the ocean was rough and so the pool was also rough--we had a blast. It was like a big wave pool. The water is salt water, too.

Enjoy yourself--happy cruising!

Hi Cherie,I see you are hooked on the Brilliance;)-you are going to do the repo next year again,right? I wouldn't mind it,too:D. The Brilliance is such a pretty and easy to go around ship....even though I liked all ships I'd been on,I found that this class of ships (Radiance) I like best.Maybe see you again on the repo,

Suzy

Hi Suzy!

Yes, Sam went upstairs and booked the 2015 repo as a surprise. He really liked the BOS and the itinerary. Lots of sea days = lots of relaxation. He really needed some time to rest and he sure got that on the repo cruise.

Hope to see you in 2015! Have a fabulous Christmas!

I love the outdoor WJ seating...wish more ships had that option. However, I hate the so-called "retractable" roof over the Solarium...as it's never opened, which means there is not an "adult" area for sunning! If you were on a cold weather cruise, it might be nice, but in the Caribbean, open the damn roof!

And let in all that hot and humid air.:mad: We have been on ships when thy opened the roof and couldn't wait for them to close it again. Give me the climate-controlled solarium on Brilliance with the roof closed and I am a happy camper.

Besides I'm not convinced that the glass roof effectively blocks those dangerously carcinogenic UV rays that allow "tanning" (burning). Even with the roof closed, I'd still lather myself liberally with high SPF sunscreen just to be safe.

We sailed on Radiance in August and loved this class of ship, having previously sailed on the bigger ships. We are thinking of booking BOS for August 2015 can I assume the layout etc is the same.

Brilliance and Radiance used to be identical, but since their dry docks, there are some minor differences. I believe Radiance has Samba Grill and Boardwalk Doghouse, which were omitted when Brilliance was revitalized.

And let in all that hot and humid air.:mad: We have been on ships when thy opened the roof and couldn't wait for them to close it again. Give me the climate-controlled solarium on Brilliance with the roof closed and I am a happy camper.

Besides I'm not convinced that the glass roof effectively blocks those dangerously carcinogenic UV rays that allow "tanning" (burning). Even with the roof closed, I'd still lather myself liberally with high SPF sunscreen just to be safe.

UVB (causes sunburn) is blocked by glass but about 50% of UVA (causes wrinkling and aging) gets through. More info here: UVA Radiation: A Danger Outdoors and Indoors

Thanks for all the info on Brilliance. We're sailing in January and i can't wait. :)

Edited by farfromreality

Brilliance and Radiance used to be identical, but since their dry docks, there are some minor differences. I believe Radiance has Samba Grill and Boardwalk Doghouse, which were omitted when Brilliance was revitalized.

Thanks for that Bob, shame about Samba though we really enjoyed it on Radiance.

• 1 month later...

My favourite part of Brilliance was of course, the wonderful Manda Vincent, who sang nearly every night in the Schooner bar.

I also loved the open air windjammer, the gorgeous centrum, and the itinerary in Europe is wonderful, but my advice would be to book your own private tours (with no more than 12 people from your roll call) for Russia. The RC tours were 60people crammed on a coach and herded around some of the most beautiful sights in the world... We booked privately and there were 8 of us in a mini bus, we did walking tours; boat tours and we saw Swan Lake in St Petersburg!

Other than that, if you even remotely like Sushi, hit up Izumi, it's SO CHEAP, and totally delicious. I will skip Chops the next time, and def. do Chefs Table as late as possible - it is amazing, and the ll ruin you for anything else you eat for about a week - it is THAT GOOD.

We booked our extra dining on board, 1 meal in each restaurant with our drinks package, and received 25% discount. It was our honeymoon, we're 25/27yo and we had the best time imaginable - we're now hooked on cruising. Have a wonderful time, say hi to Manda for me if you see her (you night miss her though, she is due to go off board in June I believe) and if I can help you at all, just ask!! Xx