Port/excursion help.

BadKoda

Booked a cruise on adventure of the seas with my fiancé out of San Juan. Ports are st Thomas ,st kitts ,Aruba and curaçao. We are interested in doing excursions as well as going off on our own. We prefer sight seeing/adventure rather than underwater. What excursions are must see for these ports and which ports are good for going off on our own? Also, any suggestions for San Juan as we are arriving a couple days early?

St. Kitts is good for a hike in the mountains, find a tour or guide. We used Greg's Safaris and liked it very much.

Curacao has a nice capital in walking distance from the port. Check out the market. We also took the little train that goes through the part of town where the off shore companies restore historic buildings. Very nice, interesting guide.

In Aruba, we took a public bus to a beach one time and a tour the other time. The tour was not impressive but gave a good overview.

In St. Thomas, we also took a tour that led us across the hills, good views. The tour guide was not good and very difficult to understand, draw of the luck.

First off Congratulations! Next for St. Thomas and St. Kitts

St. Kitts would have your tour start in the capital city of Basseterre. Founded in 1627 by the French, it served as capital of the French colony. By 1639, the town had become a large successful port and was made the capital of the entire French West Indies colony, which included the islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique. When the British took control of the island in 1727, the city was made capital of the island. You will see the British influence in the Georgian architecture, cobblestone streets, squares and monuments.

The city of Basseterre has had a tragic history, having been destroyed repeatedly by colonial wars, fire, earthquakes, floods, riots and hurricanes. Despite this, a considerable number of well-restored buildings still exist in downtown Basseterre. Next, I would visit Caribelle Batik set on the grounds of Romney Manor. Using ancient Indonesian methods to keep the dye from reaching the material, Caribelle has created many designs for which they have become associated. During your visit, you will see the artists demonstrating the techniques while you listen to an explanation from one of the experts. Then it is on to Brimstone Hill Fortress, a UNESCO World Heritage site. The fort is a monument to the ingenuity of the British military engineers who designed it and to the skill, strength and endurance of the African slaves who built and then maintained it. It is one of the best preserved historical fortifications in the Americas. At the fort, a video presentation on the fortress is shown. This magnificent fortress, sitting impressively atop 38 acres of limestone and sulfur composites, is the result of 100 years of slave labor and has endured many wars fought between English, French and Spanish troops, for its control.

From the fortress, your sightseeing would return to the pier via the Basseterre Caribbean Sea coastal road (gorgeous for photos) Do you have a Camera?

As you prepare to pack for this excursion I recommend you dress:wearing comfortable clothing and sensible flat-soled walking shoes. Sun glasses and sunshade are also suggested. Got a pair of Oakley's yet? Great shopping in port too!

Warning there is inclined pack dirt terraine. There are some steps at sites which are uneven from the ship this total excursion should take about a Duration: 3 hours

In St Thomas I have other experiences in Mind for you ! St Thomas Island Overview for you takes about a two-hour orientation tour of St. Thomas, with stops at some of the island's highlights and exciting views of the island itself. St. Thomas is a mountainous island with one long ridge of hills running east and west through the center of the island, with smaller ridges branching off. The island is thirteen miles long by four miles wide, encompassing a little over 31 square miles. The highest point is Crown Mountain at 1,556 feet. St. Thomas has a history that dates back to 1500 B.C. and the Ciboney people. They were replaced by the Arawaks and then the Caribes, long before Christopher Columbus first saw the island in 1493 on his second voyage to the “New World.” Unfortunately, almost all signs of the pre-Columbus days have been lost to time.

Most of the structures and ruins that remain date from the 16th and 17th century and include Blackbeard's Castle (Skytsborg), Fort Christian and Bluebeard’s Castle (Tower Fort). During your scenic orientation drive you would be able to see them on nearby hilltops. I suggest to anyone Riding along the crest of St. Thomas on "Skyline Drive," visitors are treated to vistas of Charlotte Amalie town, harbor as well as Hassel and Water Islands to the south; the Atlantic Ocean, Magens Bay and Inner and Outer Brass and Hans Lollick islands to the north; and the chain of cays leading to St. John and the British Virgins to the east. A driver/guide is best and should make stops at various scenic overlooks as traffic / safety allows. You will pass by Drake's Seat, believed to be the spot where Sir Francis Drake himself watched for enemy vessels. A stop should be made at Mountain Top, where you will take in the most amazing views from the balcony of the shopping arcade, and if you choose, purchase a “world-famous” banana daiquiri. I'm thirsty now! :) or a Bushwacker! The whole trip would take two-hours driving and will have the option of being dropped off in downtown Charlotte Amalie to experience its world-famous shopping and then you can make it back to the cruise ship dock. The shops in Charlotte Amalie are amazing! You should note thou that Guests departing in downtown will be responsible for their transportation back to their destination ship! Depending on the number of guests participating, tours like this wouldl be conducted in vans or open air safari buses. Here again I recommend dressing for the excursion be wearing Dress:Comfortable clothing and sensible walking shoes are recommended. Sun glasses and sunscreen are suggested. You should be prepared for the outing as well -you will need to step up into the transportation and walk on paved and gravel surfaces, several on inclines, at the photo stops. This trip takes a Duration: 2 hours

In Aruba and Curacao I have definite experience having seen the best ... I recommend you Explore Aruba in an air-conditioned bus (the heat kills and you should bring a bottled water as well!) A professional tour guide will show you the attractions and natural landmarks of Aruba easily. I recommend You visit California Light House, named after a ship called the Californian, which has the distinction of having received distress signals from the Titanic as she went down in icy waters in 1912. Next seek out a visit to Alto Vista Chapel. The chapel was built on the site of the first Catholic church built in Aruba in 1750 by a Spanish missionary. It is a special place for peace and contemplation, surrounded by the Aruban countryside. You will also visit Bushiribana Gold Mine, the remains of a gold smelter that was built of natural stone in 1825 and functioned for most of the 19th century. I enjoyed seeing Aruba’s famous natural wonders including Natural Bridge, a formation of coral limestone cut by years of pounding surf. It is one of the largest natural spans in the world, standing 23 feet above sea level and spanning more than 100 feet across. Since you like water I would end my day with a refreshing swim (sea and weather conditions permitting) in the pristine waters of Aruba. This all would take a Duration: 4 Hours

In Curacao: Kayak and Snorkeling Touring is a MUST! A glorious Kayak and Snorkeling Tour is great fun! You would discover the beauty of Curacao as you paddle along the amazing coastline to see its natural wonders and historical locations. If you have never Kayaked to an excursion bargain I would recommend you under take a a safety briefing, climb aboard with a professional guide to remote areas where you will marvel at the tropical vegetation and wildlife. If I was going along I would paddle across Caracas Bay (approximately 20 minutes open water). Here, you will see cultural highlights such as Fort Beekenburg as you paddle for approximately another 20 minutes in the protected waters along the coast. The Fort was originally built in 1703 to ward off the French and British fleets. It was named after Heer van Beek, who from 1701 to 1704 coordinated the city of Willemstad's defense. Because you like water I think you should land at a deserted stretch of beach, a combination of sand and coral stones, which will allow you access to some of the best snorkeling on the island, not only for the natural beauty underwater, but also for the lack of crowds above. Before heading back, cool off with a refreshing swim in the pristine tropical waters. Above the beach you can see a manor estate, the Quarantaine Hospital, which was built in 1700 and used for treatment of sick seaman. The paddling back is approximately 30 minutes across the Bay and you don't want to miss the boat (LOL) so allow Duration: 4 Hours

Whatever you decide to do Make it great :) and most importantly stay in touch with the source for Cruise information Cruise Critic :)

I second the idea of getting a good guidebook. I try to borrow some from the library and see which ones have the best info/maps. Then I'll look for the latest edition (the ones at the library tend to be a few years old) on Amazon or some other book store.

I also google each port. There should be plenty of tourism sites with good info.