Looking for place to stay between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami

kaymartian

We are going on a cruise in mid January. We have noticed that airfare is on avg. $150 less per person RT to fly into FLL as opposed to MIA. We will be flying in a day early and are catching our ship out of Port Miami. We are considering flying into FLL and catching a shuttle to a reasonably priced hotel that will offer shuttle service to Port Miami. Any suggestions? Our other option is to rent a car and just drive to Miami from FLL which will still be less expensive as there are 7 in our group. Thanks

Check the Hyatt House Diana Beach. They have the shuttle from the airport covered, and when I called to ask, they said there was a shuttle at a cost to Port of Miami. I believe it was $12 per person,but could change.

It will probably be a wash as to whether that is better than renting a car, but with 7 you might need 2 cars or an extra large van which would probably cost more.

If arriving early in the day, I'd stay close to downtown Fort L so you have things to see and do in walking distance. Not out at the airport. Shuttle in the morning to POM. No hotels in fort lauderdale will offer rides to Miami. Too far.

How many rooms do you need? Date? Hyatt Place Convention Center on 10th street might work. Close to everything. Airport transfer and breakfast included. Book on Valuetrips.com for the best rates.

Edited by eandj

Same here. We pricelined one for FLL airport and got one with a free shuttle to the hotel from the airport. Turns out to be Marriott for like $85 OTD. Then using MJS shuttle for $13 pp the next day to the Port of Miami. Done this two years now and I wouldn't do it any other way. I think with that many people you might even get it for $10 pp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimmyvinny

I've never used priceline. I checked it out for the hotel after your recommendation but, I'm confused. You set the price, they charge your card if they accept your offer and then they book it? It looks like you don't know what hotel you will be booked into until you give your credit info. I'm a bit leery as we need two rooms. If we book separately, we could get separate hotels???

I've never used priceline. I checked it out for the hotel after your recommendation but, I'm confused. You set the price, they charge your card if they accept your offer and then they book it? It looks like you don't know what hotel you will be booked into until you give your credit info. I'm a bit leery as we need two rooms. If we book separately, we could get separate hotels???

I never use Priceline or any of the consolidator sites to book hotels. I look for quoted prices with specific hotels on those sites at times, and have called the booking number of the hotel itself to find out their price. Most will book at the consolidator price if they can show it. One difference is that they won't give loyalty club points if you book through a consolidator.

Since you need two rooms, I would just book directly with a known hotel.

In your case, with 7 travelers, DO NOT USE priceline. They guarantee )rooms for TWO. You would have to book 4 rooms to make sure everyone had a place. Plus with having no experience with the procedure AND not knowing the area... big mistake :eek:

Mid Jan. is expensive. Figure $175 a room at best. You will pay less for rooms in the ft.l area than Miami. Browse these threads for ideas in the airport/Dania area. Lots of suite type chains.

Edited by eandj

You can name your own price for 2 rooms to be sure you are all at the same hotel....Just select the number of rooms you want. Maybe you should search forum titles for priceline. I'm sure you will find others who have had success reserving, also. Correct that you don't know the name of the hotel until you pay. It's non-refundable. Start low for a higher star and you either have to change star level or area to re bid right away or just wait until the next day, or use another person in your groups name and email etc... We've always gotten great hotels at very steep discounts (40-50% off) using it in NYC, Miami, FLL, San Juan, etc. And we just call the hotel after to request 2 double beds for our reservation. It's not a guarantee, but all have accommodated us when we've had 4 people. Here's a good thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835573

Edited by jimmyvinny

You can name your own price for 2 rooms to be sure you are all at the same hotel....Just select the number of rooms you want.We've always gotten great hotels at very steep discounts (40-50% off) using it in NYC, Miami, FLL, San Juan, etc. And we just call the hotel after to request 2 double beds for our reservation. It's not a guarantee, but all have accommodated us when we've had 4 people.

Points for the OP...regarding why it's a bad idea to attempt first time use of PL in mid Jan. in Miami/Ft.L

1) You are looking at peak season in S.Florida for rooms for a group of more than two.

2) A hotel can say yes or no to a "REQUEST" for two beds. ALL depends on what is available when you arrive. If those double bed rooms aren't available at check in, you might be able to buy another room... at FULL cost, not PL rate. Are you willing to take that chance? (cost my sister and her family a pretty penney when they "assumed" they'd get two beds for their kids and themselves)

3) You will not get the 40-50% off when peak season leaves fewer rooms vacant. A hotel will offer FEW, if any, cheap rooms to discounters when they are being filled with full paying guests.

4) If you want to book rooms at a discount that will give you the opportunity to choose more rooms and specifically rooms for four, use hotwire.com ( non cancellable) or book on lastminutetravel.com which you CAN cancel up to 4 days pre stay. But yes, you pay upfront on all sites mentioned.

In my opinion, try PL when there are just two of you traveling, you know the area, going rates and aren't picky. That's the easiest and less stressful way to learn PL bidding strategies. Not when you are in a pinch and responsible for a group. Too much money is on the line.;) Use betterbidiing.com to learn the ropes. PL and Hw are great sites to use... on the right dates and places. We have used it in the past. We prefer a cancellable site or the hotel direct lately.

PS, the link above is sticky here with a listing of hotel rooms received by other cruisers. That will be of no help to you now. ONLY be concerned with stays on your EXACT date. Not from another year, day of week etc.

Edited by eandj

If arriving early in the day, I'd stay close to downtown Fort L so you have things to see and do in walking distance. Not out at the airport. Shuttle in the morning to POM. No hotels in fort lauderdale will offer rides to Miami. Too far.

How many rooms do you need? Date? Hyatt Place Convention Center on 10th street might work. Close to everything. Airport transfer and breakfast included. Book on Valuetrips.com for the best rates.

Second this idea. We stayed at the Hyatt Place convention center last April with 6 women. Nice place, within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and a liquor store for wine, etc.

We also used Valuetrips to book and got a great rate of $99 per night. Just be sure to note if you use them, sometimes it can take over a week to hear back for the reservation. Just don't get excited if you don't hear right away.

Also would not recommend priceline for a first timer. I use it alot, but always do lots of reserach ahead of time and know what my possible hotels could be.