Quad cabin for two

Mrs. Wilburforce

Hello to everyone!

I just placed a hold on a balcony cabin on the Emerald. I selected the Emerald after reading the opinion thread on favorite Princess ships and it was quite helpful.

My question concerns the stateroom I selected based on location, location, location. After I finished my call with my TA, I took a look at our cabin and it's a quad. Will the room seem tighter due to this arrangement? My hubby and I have only sailed together once on the QM2 and I on the Island with my DS and DSil in a mini suite.

We are on the caribe deck and are in a very nice mid aft position.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You won't notice any difference at all. On that ship/room type, the extra beds are tucked in flush with the ceiling. You have to examine it closely to even see where the key fits to drop the beds down.;)

ETA - Bill, she said balcony.

Edited by cherylandtk

Thanks so much for your quick responses.

If I may toss out another question. I booked a 10 day b2b as a single cruise as opposed to two 5 day segments. I doubt we will ever cruise enough to obtain the really nice benefits, and the idea of disembarking and embarking again the day before my husband's 60th birthday seems a bit tiring. We want to be in fine form for the big day

Would it be worth our while to do 2 segments? I have been reading the other thread on this topic, but am wondering if it will increase the expense as well.

This is a milestone birthday cruise, so with that in mind, would you just go for the most relaxing vacation or go for the possible benefits?

Again, many thanks

Thanks so much for your quick responses.

If I may toss out another question. I booked a 10 day b2b as a single cruise as opposed to two 5 day segments. I doubt we will ever cruise enough to obtain the really nice benefits, and the idea of disembarking and embarking again the day before my husband's 60th birthday seems a bit tiring. We want to be in fine form for the big day

Would it be worth our while to do 2 segments? I have been reading the other thread on this topic, but am wondering if it will increase the expense as well.

This is a milestone birthday cruise, so with that in mind, would you just go for the most relaxing vacation or go for the possible benefits?

Again, many thanks

Hi - whether you book as 2 5-day segments or 1 10-day cruise you will still need to disembark in the middle - all passengers on a B2B regardless of how its booked must clear through immigration. Its usually relatively quick and painless (unless someone forgets to show up) and since you won't be moving cabins you wont' have to worry about packing up. Others who have more experience with this feel free to chime in!

Hi - whether you book as 2 5-day segments or 1 10-day cruise you will still need to disembark in the middle - all passengers on a B2B regardless of how its booked must clear through immigration. Its usually relatively quick and painless (unless someone forgets to show up) and since you won't be moving cabins you wont' have to worry about packing up. Others who have more experience with this feel free to chime in!

I didn't think you had to go through immigration and customs unless you disembark, or is that the rub... Everyone has to disembark for turnaround? Can we make our exit and return in relatively (emphasis on relatively) quick order? We were hoping to be able to get a spot in the Sanctuary for the second five days. If not, no biggie. I like the Sanctuary, but I wouldn't be crushed if we had to miss it. DH's b-day is a sea day (I'm a poet :p ) so it would be icing on the cake. Ugh...sorry! I'll stop :o

I didn't think you had to go through immigration and customs unless you disembark, or is that the rub... Everyone has to disembark for turnaround? Can we make our exit and return in relatively (emphasis on relatively) quick order?

Everyone must go through immigration. Customs is not involved and as a continuing passenger you should not fill out a customs form for that day.

If everyone shows up when scheduled, the time between meeting and returning can be as little as 30 minutes.

However, check with the Sanctuary folk before the first segment ends to see if they can reserve your spots for the 2nd segment.

Everyone must go through immigration. Customs is not involved and as a continuing passenger you should not fill out a customs form for that day.

If everyone shows up when scheduled, the time between meeting and returning can be as little as 30 minutes.

However, check with the Sanctuary folk before the first segment ends to see if they can reserve your spots for the 2nd segment.

Excellent! Thank you for the great advice.

I must say I am impressed that you were able to book a quad cabin for 2 people.;. as much as I have tried I was not ever able to do so

is your sailing soon>

Edited by serene56

I must say I am impressed that you were able to book a quad cabin for 2 people.;. as much as I have tried I was not ever able to do so

is your sailing soon>

I was a little surprised as well. And it isn't until next Nov. 2015. I was thinking about switching to another cabin because it is a bit concerning. I know that if they can get more revenue from four people, they'll probably bump us to do it. It is marked as no upgrade but I'm wondering if my TA may get a phone call a few months from now and where that will leave us. I haven't given them a deposit yet.

I'm glad you brought that up.

I was a little surprised as well. And it isn't until next Nov. 2015. I was thinking about switching to another cabin because it is a bit concerning. I know that if they can get more revenue from four people, they'll probably bump us to do it. It is marked as no upgrade but I'm wondering if my TA may get a phone call a few months from now and where that will leave us. I haven't given them a deposit yet.

I'm glad you brought that up.

Since the cruise is so far out and since you're already concerned about being upgraded out of that cabin into someplace unknown, why not just go ahead and switch to a two-berth balcony cabin now?

Since the cruise is so far out and since you're already concerned about being upgraded out of that cabin into someplace unknown, why not just go ahead and switch to a two-berth balcony cabin now?

My understanding is that quads are for more than two people, however can they move us without notice since it was there for the taking and is indicated as no upgrade? I am all for wheeling and dealing if they want my room but I'd hope they would honor the "do not upgrade" and work with me.

I do intend to call the TA tomorrow and either change the cabin or just take our chances based on what she tells me, which, as we all know, can sometimes be about 75% correct :(

I didn't even see that it was a quad until a closer inspection of another deck plan. Apparently the TA didn't either.

If anyone has any experience with this situation please let me know.

Thank you all so much for you prompt answers and helpful suggestions :)

Yes, some people have reported being moved, even with a "do not upgrade" note -- it's very rare but it could happen. So why go through all the angst; just choose another room There are a bazillion balcony staterooms on the ship.

Plus, there aren't all that many cabins for 4: not to be all holier-than-thou, but why take up a cabin with extra berths you don't need when they're a scarce resource and might be wanted by someone else? Especially when there are plenty of other cabins you could book.

Yes, some people have reported being moved, even with a "do not upgrade" note -- it's very rare but it could happen. So why go through all the angst; just choose another room There are a bazillion balcony staterooms on the ship.

Plus, there aren't all that many cabins for 4: not to be all holier-than-thou, but why take up a cabin with extra berths you don't need when they're a scarce resource and might be wanted by someone else? Especially when there are plenty of other cabins you could book.

Agreed. I don't know why it wasn't caught. We have no desire to be quad room hogs and I will be okay moving. As long as there's no price change tomorrow, I'll be changing. I wonder why Princess doesn't block those rooms for fewer than 3 if that is their intended use. Can anyone book a disabled accessible cabin only to find out later that they have to move?

Whatever happens I'm not going to toss and turn over an honest (not sure if this qualifies as a mistake) booking glitch which I'm happy to resolve.