Los Angeles Cruise Ship Terminal & Hotels

many cruises

If you haven't noticed there isn't any grocery stores with in walking distance of any hotel in the LA or Long Beach area. (Except that one near Ralphs that they suggest you do not stay there). I am suprised that no one mentioned it, but the Queen Mary is in Long Beach and a great place to get in the cruising mood. They offer special rates and packages that include tours of the ship as well as meals. It can be pricey, but if you just want a room they can be had for about $100 a night. It is right next to the Carnival Port, but I believe it is 20 minutes or less to the Port in San Pedro.

As for embarkation at this port. When we did the Diamond there we arrived at 11:30am and were done with check in by noon. We had to wait in a waiting area for our number to be called (they hand them out to you as you enter the waiting area) since they didn't board until about 12:20pm. This was great for crowd control since it kept everyone from rushing the ship to get on. We were about the third or fourth group called and we were enjoying the buffet before 1pm.

We will be staying at the Coast for a one night pre-cruise (10/21). I'll post back the results of our stay.

Thank you so much ML64...I would love to hear of your experiences...You must be so excited to be only 19 days away. To be honest I would also be stressed being just 19 days away, worried with all the last minute details, I am not always the most

I hope you have a wonderful trip and good weather with calm seas....

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just book the Princess pre-cruise package and stay at the Westin? We are flying into LAX on Friday around noon for our Sapphire cruise in mid March. It seems easier to me to have them look after getting us to the hotel, picking us up in the morning and getting us to the ship instead of worrying about taxis, shuttles or a car rental? Am I missing something? I am sure it is more money than making the arrangements myself but it seems like less of a hassle when I get there. Any comments on this plan?

FitzLA

I am booked at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro, they offered a great pre cruise package but now since I know nothing about the area I am a bit concerned from your post staying don't stay in San Pedro. Please elaborate and tell me why if you don't mind.

We are just staying overnight and thought it would be convenient. I too am hoping there is a place nearby to purchase soft drinks before our cruise departure.

Also will we have to travel into Long Beach to find a restaurant worth eating at?

Help!!!

and thanks!!

FitzLA

I am booked at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro, they offered a great pre cruise package but now since I know nothing about the area I am a bit concerned from your post staying don't stay in San Pedro. Please elaborate and tell me why if you don't mind.

We are just staying overnight and thought it would be convenient. I too am hoping there is a place nearby to purchase soft drinks before our cruise departure.

Also will we have to travel into Long Beach to find a restaurant worth eating at?

Help!!!

and thanks!!

I think you will be fine at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro for 1 night, but it is not an area that I would explore at night. If you want more to do around your hotel, I would stay in Long Beach. Like I said in my earlier post, the two ports are RIGHT next to each other. Just a short drive from one to the other. If you do stay in San Pedro, and you are there during the day, I would go to the Friendship Bell as it is a great park on a bluff above the ocean with great views of the ships coming in and out of both long beach and san pedro ports. I was there on a sunday and sat on the bluff and watched the Carnival Pride out of San Pedro sail away into the Sunset. Again, San Pedro is not the nicest area, and I would not wander around after dark. Long Beach is a great place to stay with Great shopping, great restaurants over looking the harbor and nicer hotels. The only restaurant in San Pedro, that I know of, is Alcapulco Mexican. You get great restaurants in Long Beach. I highly reccommend Parkers Lighthouse for dinner, or The Yard House. Both have great food, great atmosphere and great views of the Harbor. Like someone else said, if you stay in Long Beach, stay near the Harbor. p.s. Parkers Lighthouse is my personal favorite. Have a great cruise. I wish I was going sooner, but I have to wait for next summer. Vacation is sadly already over this year. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you FitzLA for the reply. It helps so much getting information from people who know the area. Do you know if there is a grocery story anywhere around that Holiday Inn?

Going into Long Beach for dinner by Taxi should not be difficult, am I correct about that?

Thanks again.

Thank you FitzLA for the reply. It helps so much getting information from people who know the area. Do you know if there is a grocery story anywhere around that Holiday Inn?

Going into Long Beach for dinner by Taxi should not be difficult, am I correct about that?

Thanks again.

Okay, so here are the answers to your questions. There is a Vons at 1221 S Gaffey which is on the same street as The Holiday Inn about 1/2 mile north. That would be your best bet for Grocery Store. You can even hit it on your way to the port. As far as a cab to Long Beach, very easy. About 6 miles to the heart of Long BEach and the Harbor. You even get to go over the famous Vincent Thomas Bridge which takes you over the Port of San Pedro. Anyway, if you have any more questions, let me know. Glad to help.

Thanks again.

Okay, so here are the answers to your questions. There is a Vons at 1221 S Gaffey which is on the same street as The Holiday Inn about 1/2 mile north. That would be your best bet for Grocery Store. You can even hit it on your way to the port. As far as a cab to Long Beach, very easy. About 6 miles to the heart of Long BEach and the Harbor. You even get to go over the famous Vincent Thomas Bridge which takes you over the Port of San Pedro. Anyway, if you have any more questions, let me know. Glad to help.

i am also booked for 1 night pre-cruise in the holiday inn in sanpedro...could any one suggest a good seafood restaurant in long beach? how much approx for a taxi ride? thanks

A good Seafood restaurant in Long Beach is Queens Wharf restaurant. Also, right near queens wharf if The Yard House, which has a very diverse menu from chops and steaks to fish, pizza, burgers and an asian fusion type of food. VRY GOOD....and they have 150, yes 150 beers on tap from all over the world. I really like it there. Also there is Parkers Lighthouse right next door in the same village on the harbor. Parkers has steaks, fish and sushi among other things. I eat there often. You would think that I live in Long Beach, but I don't. I live in L.A. just like driving down to long beach every once in a while for dinner or a day the the water. Anyway, whatever you choose, have a great time. You can't loose on any of those choices.

p.s. even though its not far, a cab might run you over $20 as cabs in L.A. are expensive. Your hotel might have a good cab company with the best rates to long beach. Just don't let them take you the long way. Make sure they go over the Bridge. Otherwise they are ripping you off.

i am also booked for 1 night pre-cruise in the holiday inn in sanpedro...could any one suggest a good seafood restaurant in long beach? how much approx for a taxi ride? thanks

A good Seafood restaurant in Long Beach is Queens Wharf restaurant. Also, right near queens wharf if The Yard House, which has a very diverse menu from chops and steaks to fish, pizza, burgers and an asian fusion type of food. VRY GOOD....and they have 150, yes 150 beers on tap from all over the world. I really like it there. Also there is Parkers Lighthouse right next door in the same village on the harbor. Parkers has steaks, fish and sushi among other things. I eat there often. You would think that I live in Long Beach, but I don't. I live in L.A. just like driving down to long beach every once in a while for dinner or a day the the water. Anyway, whatever you choose, have a great time. You can't loose on any of those choices.

p.s. even though its not far, a cab might run you over $20 as cabs in L.A. are expensive. Your hotel might have a good cab company with the best rates to long beach. Just don't let them take you the long way. Make sure they go over the Bridge. Otherwise they are ripping you off.

As an FYI, we booked (through Princess) our pre-cruise night at the Marriott LAX for $62.95/pp, including taxes AND transportation to the pier on 12/23, a holiday period. Yes, we'll be on a big bus with lots of people going to the pier but what the heck. We'll have a relaxing breakfast and I know that the embarkation is pretty fast so I'm just not going to worry about it. Our vacation is going to start when we lift off from Boston.

As an FYI, we booked (through Princess) our pre-cruise night at the Marriott LAX for $62.95/pp, including taxes AND transportation to the pier on 12/23, a holiday period. Yes, we'll be on a big bus with lots of people going to the pier but what the heck. We'll have a relaxing breakfast and I know that the embarkation is pretty fast so I'm just not going to worry about it. Our vacation is going to start when we lift off from Boston.

More people should be like you and book hotels through the cruiseline directly. We did that for our cruise out of Miami and got a hotel for $133 total, not per person, overlooking the bay with transport to the terminal. The same room on the Doubletree website for the same night is $289.00. That is $156 dollars more through the hotel. And, the hotel charges tax on top of that, so it is even more of a savings. It really is a great deal.

More people should be like you and book hotels through the cruiseline directly. We did that for our cruise out of Miami and got a hotel for $133 total, not per person, overlooking the bay with transport to the terminal. The same room on the Doubletree website for the same night is $289.00. That is $156 dollars more through the hotel. And, the hotel charges tax on top of that, so it is even more of a savings. It really is a great deal.

Hello All,

We are staying at the Coast Long Beach next month for two nights. The Metro maps are not clear. So does anyone know how far away the Long Beach Metro stop is from the Coast Hotel. Has anyone here traveled on the LA Metro. We have done subways from Washington DC to Paris and never had a problem once we are onboard.

Any info appreciated.

Hello All,

We are staying at the Coast Long Beach next month for two nights. The Metro maps are not clear. So does anyone know how far away the Long Beach Metro stop is from the Coast Hotel. Has anyone here traveled on the LA Metro. We have done subways from Washington DC to Paris and never had a problem once we are onboard.

Any info appreciated.

Where are you flying into. The Los Angeles Metro is a NIGHTMARE and I would not take it. Trust me, I live here. Take a supper shutle. Just to get from LAX you would have to take a bus to the metro, and then a train to Downtown, which is totally out of the way, and then another train to Long Beach. Again, you do not want to deal with it. Paris and Washington are easy. I, too, take metro in other cities, but I would not be caught dead on it here.

Think of the metro system as a bus. Many people commute on it with maybe their briefcase or lunch box. It's not really for carrying luggage. We had checked it out last year when considering catching a train from Union Station (which we decided not to and switched our beginning port to Oxnard).

Having said that, you must know that LA is a fabulously happening place! Take a cab to the Beverly Hills Hotel and eat at Morton's on Melrose- you'll see stars! Shop on Rodeo Drive! OR: Eat at Cafe Pinot- the most fabulous cuisine ever! It's in LA at the downtown library- on Figuroa. Walk over to the new Disney Hall! See a concert! But then, you must take a long cab ride to the pier in the morning.

Hi Birch! We will be traveling to LA for the first time in Jan. We are actually going to be there for two nights and would like to go to The Tonight Show while in the LA area. I have already requested tickets but won't know if I will get them until a few weeks before the actual show date. Should we stay somewhere close to Burbank on the date we will be going to the show if we get tickets or would we be better off getting a hotel close to the airport or cruise pier for both nights? We are flying into LAX from Las Vegas. Also, we want to see the sights while in LA (Hollywood Blvd., Rodeo Drive, etc.) What would you recommend we do while there for two days?

Thanks for your help!

When we were on the Diamond out of San Pedro in FEbruary, (we drove

from Northern Calif.) anyway, we arrived on friday and spent the

night at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach. We got it through Priceline for

$60 a night plus tax. We had a beautiful room. Very clean hotel.

And it was approx a 10-minute drive, if that, to the Port.

There were many places near the Hyatt to walk to for dinner, a movie, et

cet. Not sure about a liquor store.

The Hyatt was a 4-star on Priceline. The other 4-stars that you could

possibly end up with would be the Westin or the Hilton...

Thanks for the info. Which area did you choose on Priceline (Long Beach, Long Beach Airport or San Pedro) and where did you start on your bidding?

Thanks again!

Hi Birch! We will be traveling to LA for the first time in Jan. We are actually going to be there for two nights and would like to go to The Tonight Show while in the LA area. I have already requested tickets but won't know if I will get them until a few weeks before the actual show date. Should we stay somewhere close to Burbank on the date we will be going to the show if we get tickets or would we be better off getting a hotel close to the airport or cruise pier for both nights? We are flying into LAX from Las Vegas. Also, we want to see the sights while in LA (Hollywood Blvd., Rodeo Drive, etc.) What would you recommend we do while there for two days?

Thanks for your help!

The Tonight Show if filmed in Burbank, which is in the San Fernando Valley. If I were you, I would stay in Universal City (by the studios). It is located on the hills between the Valley and Hollywood. From there, you can go to Burbank and into Hollywood or Downtown Los Angeles. Are you going to rent a car? I find that that seems to be easier when we travel. You may want to see if you can rent a car at LAX and then drop it off near the pier. In Los Angeles, traffic can be bad at anytime and sometimes it is fine. You just never know. Just try to avoid the heavy times in the morning and evening. Going to the pier should not be too bad on a Saturday. The 405 freeway is really bad, but the 170/101 may not be too bad. That is the freeway near Universal.

Archived