Time zone changes on transatlantic cruises

k8ster72

I am wondering if someone could please tell me how often the ship's time changes when on a transatlantic cruise.

We changed time over a period of days, usually at 2am. I think we had 5 or 6 25 hour days, mostly the sea days. This was for westbound. I've read some people report they changed time in the middle of the day on some eastbound cruises.

I am wondering if someone could please tell me how often the ship's time changes when on a transatlantic cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For every sea day you either lose or gain an hour depending on which direction your headed. To Europe you lose an hour, to US you gain.

Jonathan

On our last TA which originated in Barcelona which was GMT+1 at that time of year, so that made 6 time changes to get back on EST. Believe we had two changes before we reached Madeira and then 3 fall back changes were at sea between the Canary Islands and Antigua. After Antigua we had the last fall back change before getting back to Florida.

All of them were accomplished at 2AM.

Most Captains will do the westbound additional hour during the night so both passengers and crew get extra sleep. They frequently do eastbound losing an hour during the day, so the crew have to work an hour less, rather than lose an hour of rest. Unless you are doing 30+ knots like the old SeaLand SL-7 container ships, you will change clocks one hour per day (the SL-7's did two hours a day for the 3 day crossing. That was like jet lag).

The last two Eastbound Transatlantics I did the hour was lost at noon. The ship went from 11:59 AM to 1 PM. Since that was the time the captain was giving his midday report, they made sure to let you know that the time was 1 PM when he finished.

I do my first Westbound next month. :)