Better Snorkeling Roatan or Costa Maya?

Bases5

Well, I am a diver and a snorkeler (when I can't dive). I have been certified sine 1989 and have dove/snorkeled all over the world. We have been to many of the islands of the Caribbean so I think I might have a credible opinion on this one :D

ROATANThe Meso-American reef is just steps offshore of West Bay beach and goes all the way around the island - just different distances from shore. It is the second largest barrier reef in the world - second only to the great barrier reef off Australia (its on my "to do" list)

Costa Maya doesn't even compare. There are a few great Mayan ruins near there tho…. had a great day touring one a few years back.

Check this out: Not the best pic I have found but one that will let me copy the address.

http://www.roatanpropertyforyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/West-Bay-Aerial1.jpg

We are divers, dive on all our vacations. But I do snorkel, too.

I have only done Roatan of the two....

snorkeling Roatan means you swim out a bit to where the water looks darker. That is where the reef starts. Roatan has very little current (as compared to places like Cozumel) so it is usually easy access.

I have a little video of snorkeling in Roatan from last year. This was NOT from a cruise ship excursion, this was from our land-based week vacation there. That said... the snorkeling will be similar from almost anywhere on the island. Swim out past the sandy area, and float along. The reefs are actually really close to surface, hence, fish are close to surface!

link to my video:

water was 10-20' deep in this video. Easy snorkeling.

We are going to Roatan next week on the Magic and will be doing the Maya Key excursion. When we get back I hope to have some videos to share!

Edited by ABQrobin

While Coco View and Maya Key are really nice…… the reef is so much easier to snorkel at West Bay Beach. As you can see from the photo it is VERY close to the shore. When we were not diving on either of our one week stays at Infinity Bay, we were snorkeling. Literally steps into the water. And very very clear.

The only problem with snorkeling at WEst Bay Beach is the reef is so close to the surface in some areas you have to be careful not to swim over it as you will scrape the top. This will not only damage the reef but you too :eek:

As for the snorkeling being about the same anywhere on the island, thats not exactly accurate. The windward side is obviously not as good, more wind and therefore not as clear. This is the side that the docks (both Coxen Hole and Mahogany Bay) are on.

Other areas, there is sea grass -or- the reef is some ways from shore.

I will say it again, West Bay beach is the best area for snorkeling from shore.

More reef, calm, clear and very close.

Edited by texancruzer

I very much enjoyed snorkeling CocoView's front yard. The snorkeling in West Bay is not any easier, though I do find it keeps my attention longer than CocoView did.

The weather is a factor.. I have seen some very rough, dirty water in West Bay. Saying the windward side of the island is worse is not always true.

I stayed a CocoView for three days, the weather and water were great, I snorkeled and kayaked. I am not a diver.

I can not comment on Costa Maya or Maya Key. I can say this, I found Roatan 14 years ago while researching the best reef snorkeling from the beach.

• 2 months later...

texancruzer, the water can be really rough at West End Beach and West Bay, it was when I was there and I have heard the same thing from others. I snorkelled West End a few years ago at Tabayana Beach the snorkelling at Mahogany Bay was much better. People can see pics at my Christmas on the Pride review.

texancruzer, the water can be really rough at West End Beach and West Bay, it was when I was there and I have heard the same thing from others. I snorkelled West End a few years ago at Tabayana Beach the snorkelling at Mahogany Bay was much better. People can see pics at my Christmas on the Pride review.

Indeed both weather day of and the past days of weather are factor. I have seen West Bay so murky one can not see their hand in front of their face and I have seen it so clear the sun rays hit the bottom 25 feet down.

I completely agree one,s enjoyment is going to be based on weather and comfort level.

By the by ~ Tabyana is part of West Bay Beach NOT West End. The beach in West End Village is called Half Moon Bay. I know the whole this is crazy confusing.

If you would leave a link to your snorkle experience in Mahogany Bay. I would think the ships docking would muck up the water.

Just back from the Norwegian Sun, and snorkeled at both West End in Roatan AND Costa Maya.

Two different experiences for sure. Roatan has more diversity, BUT the live conch shells in the sea grass just offshore from Costa Maya were really cool! We brought our own snorkel gear along for the cruise, and had a blast.

The water is very shallow off the beach in Costa Maya, with areas of sea grass that I gather most people want to avoid. But that is where the conch shells are. Very easy surface diving to pick one up for a photo opportunity. Beware of touching the sea grass though, as there are some irritating stinging things that will get you. The clear sandy areas don't have a lot of fish, but you can occasionally see turtles.

The beach is good for snorkeling all along the village of Mahahual in Costa Maya. It is very easy to DIY there for a snorkel trip.

The water in West End was choppy the day we went out (husband scuba'd while I snorkeled off the dive boat), and visibility was down from a major storm, and I actually got sea sick while snorkeling there! That was the first time that has happened to me.

Enjoy!

Edited by geogal

• 1 month later...