Royal vs Disney

connes1

I posted a long review of our Serenade cruise on the DIS. One thing I want to ask long time RCCL posters is "Does the class of ship make a difference?" I suspect that it does. Our Serenade cruise was "OK", but it was a notch below what I have experienced on Princess or DCL.

That being said, my sample size of RCCL is exactly 1, so I don't really want to make a judgement about the line in particular based off of that one cruise. That being said, I suspect that it may have been our choice of ship that somewhat affected our sentiments. For instance, on the Serenade, they bring all of the luggage up on the passenger elevators and leave it in the Centrum lobby on each floor. Very disorganized and something I had never seen before:

67bad3e52e6c08f2ce584bf8d96766c5.jpga563a21a77a550ae148041095fc7611e.jpg

However, being on CC and asking about this, I have since found that this is not the norm on RCCL (as I had assumed). We may have just hit a rough patch. We'll do a couple more to form a more definitive opinion. Do you longtime Royal cruisers agree? Does the class of ship matter on Royal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some general observations...

Blindingly being a fan of something without question isn't hardcore fandom. it's being a "fanboy" (or "fangirl") and an "apologist". They are the ones that make excuses for shortcomings of the thing they are a fan of. Hardcore fans have every right to call out negatives and be critical, because they tend to understand the product as good or better than the provider of the product. Of course, that can also go too far in the opposite direction, but then you're not being a hardcore fan, you're being a troll.

This, so much this. :)

Sent from my iPhone

That being said, my sample size of RCCL is exactly 1, so I don't really want to make a judgement about the line in particular based off of that one cruise. That being said, I suspect that it may have been our choice of ship that somewhat affected our sentiments. For instance, on the Serenade, they bring all of the luggage up on the passenger elevators and leave it in the Centrum lobby on each floor. Very disorganized and something I had never seen before.

[snipped photos]

However, being on CC and asking about this, I have since found that this is not the norm on RCCL (as I had assumed). We may have just hit a rough patch. We'll do a couple more to form a more definitive opinion. Do you longtime Royal cruisers agree? Does the class of ship matter on Royal?

I've never been on Serenade, but I've been on her sister ships Brilliance (twice) and Jewel. I honestly don't remember luggage lying around like that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It could mean I wasn't paying attention. Someone else will have to answer that one for you.

I know for sure that on Freedom of the Seas they use the crew area elevators to deliver the luggage.

I'm sure that I will have a good cruise with them, and this is based on the people that I will be cruising with. I am sure that Royal will fine also, but to me it will not be Disney.

It won't be Disney and that's not a bad thing! Variety can be a great thing. Don't expect it to be DCL and you'll open yourself up to having a good time. You seem to be trying to set yourself up to dislike it/fail.

Wishing you the best of luck, whichever vacation you choose in the future.

Sent from my iPhone

It won't be Disney and that's not a bad thing! Variety can be a great thing. Don't expect it to be DCL and you'll open yourself up to having a good time. You seem to be trying to set yourself up to dislike it/fail.

Wishing you the best of luck, whichever vacation you choose in the future.

Sent from my iPhone

I am not setting myself up to fail, if you read my very first post, I said I was traveling with an open mind and most likely would have a good time. I don't think saying having a good time, is setting myself up to "fail". My outlook when on vacation is, if you don't have a good time, its your own fault...so I really don't plan on having a bad time...enough said!

Blindingly being a fan of something without question isn't hardcore fandom. it's being a "fanboy" (or "fangirl") and an "apologist". They are the ones that make excuses for shortcomings of the thing they are a fan of. Hardcore fans have every right to call out negatives and be critical, because they tend to understand the product as good or better than the provider of the product. Of course, that can also go too far in the opposite direction, but then you're not being a hardcore fan, you're being a troll.

Done with this thread....and again if you read my original post, I never said that Disney was superior to Royal, what I said was I like Disney and have always gotten good service with them...never once did I make excuses or say they were better than Royal....but the one thing that I did say, and you seem to be the "winner" on this is how fast things turn ugly and nasty on here....and now we are resorting to name calling....very childish...

Sailed 4 times on Disney, am booked for my first Royal in 2016 and to be honest the only reason I am booked on Royal is because going with family and this was their choice. Although, they didn't have to twist my arm that much to go I thought I would give it a chance and see how I would like Royal vs. Disney.

I am looking forward to the cruise a lot, looking forward to traveling with my family and friends and doing the Hawaiian itinerary. With that said, I have to say with all the reading I have been doing here, I have to say I think that once I have completed this cruise, I will be back with Disney. I'm just not getting that same feeling from these boards or reports. I am hoping that I am wrong and that at some point I will rebook another cruise on Royal, but right now, I don't see that happening.

I know Disney does charge more for their cruises, but I also feel you get such good service, never had bad complaint on any of my cruises with them.

I am going on this cruise with an open mind. I am sure it will be great and I will have a great time. But what can I say, Disney is in my blood!! ;):D

I know you said you are done with this thread but I felt the need to highlight why it might be perceived that you have already made up your mind, and therefore setting yourself up to fail.

Dixielady - you seem to feel that all of the comments posted here are directed at you personally. I do not see it that way.

I do hope you change your mind, or at least recognize that there are other lines out there that offer more than the four ships and limited itineraries of DCL can. Perhaps Royal will be the line, or perhaps it will be another. It's a big wide world out there. I also hope that you can accept the fact that some of us have had less than perfect experiences with Disney, and that posters on every board have strong opinions that may sting a bit when they don't agree with our own.(You may wish to make use of the "ignore" feature availalbe on this board.)

I wish you the best, and a wonderful trip.

For instance, on the Serenade, they bring all of the luggage up on the passenger elevators and leave it in the Centrum lobby on each floor. Very disorganized and something I had never seen before

We saw them making a staging area on Vision similar to that. But they were then taking the bags and delivering them. It wasn't the end point.

Have you ever seen the picture of mounds and mounds of luggage all piled on top of each other on a Disney ship? I actually walked by the crew elevator area on our last Disney cruise and saw the piles of bags in person. Horrifying. I'd much rather have a staging area like that, rather than just hauling bags off the pile and delivering them.

...but the one thing that I did say, and you seem to be the "winner" on this is how fast things turn ugly and nasty on here....and now we are resorting to name calling....very childish...

The person said "Of course, that can also go too far in the opposite direction, but then you're not being a hardcore fan, you're being a troll."

It's the "victorian 'you'". It wasn't YOU you.

Give Royal a chance. If you are annoyed at Royal fans because they defend Royal, realize that Disney fans do the exact same thing. Even with only small amounts of experience or even no experience.

Right?

but the one thing that I did say, and you seem to be the "winner" on this is how fast things turn ugly and nasty on here....and now we are resorting to name calling....very childish...

The person said "Of course, that can also go too far in the opposite direction, but then you're not being a hardcore fan, you're being a troll."

It's the "victorian 'you'". It wasn't YOU you.

I don't think they were speaking directly to you either, dixielady. Pretty sure that's why the "general observations" were noted at the beginning of their post. Sorry you felt that way.

Edited by notsomadhatter

We saw them making a staging area on Vision similar to that. But they were then taking the bags and delivering them. It wasn't the end point.

Have you ever seen the picture of mounds and mounds of luggage all piled on top of each other on a Disney ship? I actually walked by the crew elevator area on our last Disney cruise and saw the piles of bags in person. Horrifying. I'd much rather have a staging area like that, rather than just hauling bags off the pile and delivering them.

/QUOTE]

But on DCL, that's done in a crew area, not stacked out in a public lobby....

But on DCL, that's done in a crew area, not stacked out in a public lobby....

DCL's crew doors are always open for luggage delivery times though. You can see the mounds being tossed around. Same with last night luggage collection.

I have only seen luggage delivered like that on one Royal cruise - Enchantment. Neither Jewel nor Liberty used public lobbies.

DCL's crew doors are always open for luggage delivery times though. You can see the mounds being tossed around. Same with last night luggage collection.

I have only seen luggage delivered like that on one Royal cruise - Enchantment. Neither Jewel nor Liberty used public lobbies.

Yes, but again, it's brought up through the Crew elevators and delivered to your room. Princess does the same thing. The Serenade decided to use 4 of the 6 public elevators off of the Centrum. This also created a problem during embarkation in that there were only 2 elevators taking passengers up to their stateroom floor. Then, when you got there, you had to navigate around the luggage to get to the hallway.

I just thought it was weird. Other posters with a good bit of RCCL experience say it's not the norm on RCCL either.

Yes, but again, it's brought up through the Crew elevators and delivered to your room. Princess does the same thing. The Serenade decided to use 4 of the 6 public elevators off of the Centrum. This also created a problem during embarkation in that there were only 2 elevators taking passengers up to their stateroom floor. Then, when you got there, you had to navigate around the luggage to get to the hallway.

I just thought it was weird. Other posters with a good bit of RCCL experience say it's not the norm on RCCL either.

Definitely weird. I saw a few loads of luggage coming up on Enchantment but it was not nearly as chaotic as you've described.

Done with this thread....and again if you read my original post, I never said that Disney was superior to Royal, what I said was I like Disney and have always gotten good service with them...never once did I make excuses or say they were better than Royal....but the one thing that I did say, and you seem to be the "winner" on this is how fast things turn ugly and nasty on here....and now we are resorting to name calling....very childish...

Hi dixielady. I apologize if you thought my comments were directed at you. They were not. It was more or less a general observation of fandom culture, regardless of the subject matter.

And what prompted me to post that wasn't anything you wrote, it was actually the poster UNV-IT!!! who was saying people weren't hardcore fans of Disney because they were leveling some criticism of Disney. And honestly, I thought he was trolling this thread, which is why I threw that line in there.

So your definition of a fan is being willing to spend whatever they ask and not hold them accountable for their product? That whatever they do is covered in pixie dust and that's the end of that? I have other words for that and they definitely don't include the word "fan".

I'm not saying they are equal. I'm saying they are different. One product has provided better service IN OUR EXPERIENCE this year (which was nine cruises between Royal/X/Disney). It just so happens that the one providing the best service cost the least. Why would I pay more for an inferior product? The things that matter to me have suffered greatly on Disney. We are sailing them less. The end.

Please get your prescription checked for your glasses. I don't think you can read very well. I have said numerous times Disney can offer a premium for the "DISNEY EXPERIENCE". I've said numerous times if your hunting a value thats fine but your not comparing apples to apples. I don't care what any other lines offers they CANT offer Mickey, Minnie , tiger and the Disney EXPERIENCE. People who want that DISNEY EXPERIENCE are willing to pay that premium to have that. Other wise it's not a true hardcore fan. Those are just the truths. If you don't think getting the Disney experience is worth more money then that's not a true fan. Again I've said there is nothing wrong with searching for a better bargain. Maybe this time you'll stop twisting my words.

A troll is someone who comes along and blinding picks a post to jump on. I.e. You. Ive never once said anyone is wrong for having complaints with Disney. I've never claimed they are perfect. I've simply stated the facts. People who want the Disney experience are willing to pay the premium, taking the good and the bad. Which rccl and Disney both have.

Hi dixielady. I apologize if you thought my comments were directed at you. They were not. It was more or less a general observation of fandom culture, regardless of the subject matter.

And what prompted me to post that wasn't anything you wrote, it was actually the poster UNV-IT!!! who was saying people weren't hardcore fans of Disney because they were leveling some criticism of Disney. And honestly, I thought he was trolling this thread, which is why I threw that line in there.

Again if you actually read my posts instead of trolling you'd see I never once said people can't have criticism. Stop twisting words and actually read the post. disney offers an experience no other company can simple. End of story. If your bargain shopping then your not being a Disney fan because NO OTHER LINE can give you Disney. Fact. So when people say Disney should be cheaper I find that laughable. Yes. The reason being is Disney offers something no other company can. Fact. So they will have a premium price. Fact. And real Disney fans will pay those premium prices for those Disney experiences. Fact. That doesn't make Disney the end all be all. I've had problems with Disney. I've had to complain. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan. I just understand that there is a premium on the Disney experiences. And I'm fine paying those premiums for the Disney experience. As are other millions of people around the world. So maybe now that I've said DISNEY EXPERIENCE countless times you actually read what I said instead of trolling. Doubtful though :rolleyes:

The best part about a disney cruise... hands down:

CASTAWAY CAY!

That would be the one reason I would sail Disney again. My family has enjoyed all of our cruises, but, I cannot justify the cost of Disney. We are really looking forward to our upcoming Freedom of the Seas cruise!

UNV-IT - Seems you've changed your reasoning - intitially youi said Disney is a premium line.(I posted a link to a travel article disputing this claim). Now your posts claim true fans will pay a premium price. So which is it - a premium line or a premium price?

I am a true fan, not willing to pay their premium price because I feel my experience did not offer the value I've come to expect from Disney. No need to pick apart the opinions of others. To each their own.

The best part about a disney cruise... hands down:

CASTAWAY CAY!

I am definitely not with you on that one. We hated CC, except for the bike ride. That was pretty fun - and you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car haha. But the island isn't anything close to what you can experience around here or in other places we've visited around the world.

I am definitely not with you on that one. We hated CC, except for the bike ride. That was pretty fun - and you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car haha. But the island isn't anything close to what you can experience around here or in other places we've visited around the world.

lalenalei, thanks for telling us how nice the place you live at and other places you have visited around the world that others, including me and my family, do not yet have the opportunity to travel to. We like Castaway Cay and enjoyed our previous trip there very much.

Have a nice day.

Have to agree to disagree on this one. Castaway Cay is hands down our favorite cruise stop...

lalenalei, thanks for telling us how nice the place you live at and other places you have visited around the world that others, including me and my family, do not yet have the opportunity to travel to. We like Castaway Cay and enjoyed our previous trip there very much.

Have a nice day.

Wait a sec, I wasn't trying to insult you! I just really don't get why CC is so attractive. I've been to places that aren't that great, too. I'm just giving an OPINION, just as you are. Just because I like blue and you like red doesn't mean that either one of us is bad! Sorry if I offended you. And that "Have a nice day" wasn't that nice either.

Have to agree to disagree on this one. Castaway Cay is hands down our favorite cruise stop...

Which is totally fine! I was only posting my opinion, because it is that....just my opinion. Not trying to change anyone's mind. I don't get the cabana thing or the stingrays, etc. It's okay if other people do, though!

Which is totally fine! I was only posting my opinion, because it is that....just my opinion. Not trying to change anyone's mind. I don't get the cabana thing or the stingrays, etc. It's okay if other people do, though!

Well we haven't done the Stingrays or Cabana's, but we never miss the 5k or the upgraded lunch at Serenity Bay. We enjoy the bikes as well (and the ice cream...)

It's just really, really well done IMHO. From the tram to the pavers to the included kids club on the island, it's just a really nice day. We also like to snorkel in the lagoon to find the old 20,000 Leagues submarines.

Oh, they also don't charge for the waterslides...