Royal vs Disney

connes1

Well I've sailed rccl more then 16 times and all my Disney experiences are more premium.

I only see one DCL cruise in your signature?

The person you replied to didn't mention value in the post you quoted.

We're now equal with DCL and RCCL and to me they are equal, just in different ways. We like X from one, Y from the other. We dislike A from one and B from the other. Back and forth, and they work out to be equal.

Given that we have twice sailed concierge on DCL (and nothing close on Royal), you would think that by your criteria we would rate DCL higher, but nope. Equal.

Someone mentioned the Solarium. Maybe it's different on different ships, but I've read that it's the Solarium POOL that is off limits to kids. Going into the Solarium isn't off limits. Just the pool. So if they were in the pool then go talk to the employees. But just in the area might not be forbidden.

Value - the amount of money that something is worth

We are not loyal to any particular brand, but tend to prefer RC because it offers what we like and hence our cruises have been a good value. (Carnival is cheap - not the same as a good value. We gave them two tries and the experiences were horrible.)

We just returned from our first DCL cruise on the Fantasy. We booked four cabins for our party of 11, all experienced cruisers. We are huge Disney fans and season pass-holders. These are just our impressions of our trip.

The positives: excellent service from all cast members (crew), impeccable condition of the ship, premium quality production shows, Navigator App for the phone - allowing access to all ship info and free texting to companions onboard right at your fingertips, free booze and beverage allowance, free soda - yes you pay for it in the fare but it's so convenient, Castaway Cay - simply the best, Rainforest Spa, Comfy beds and linens, few intrusive announcements on the PA, Aqua Duck, fireworks at sea, Midship Detective game, wonderful nursey for the tiny ones, great kids club, first run Disney movies, great selection of TV options in-room, dining rotation, animation night in Animator's Palette, Pixie Dust everywhere, variety of bar areas, specialty restaurants - Remy and Palo, nothing comes close,

Negatives for us: woefully small family pools - sea of screaming children, hot tubs no better - think stew of little children, poorly designed buffet areas, no hot breakfast items from room service (and we love breakfast on our balcony), buffet does not offer any custom order stations such as omelets, pasta, wok, etc., adult pool area is nice but very noisy from adjacent fanily area, few comfortable gathering spaces, unsupervised children - because this line caters to families you have a huge population of kids, so of course there seems to be more of an obvious lack of responsible parenting - (kids running up and down the halls, unsupervised in adult areas, stealing FEs, melt-downs), higher noise levels, high cruise fare.

We expected the high concentration of children and all that comes along with that but many might find that a turn-off. I have never seen so many stressed out parents trying so hard to squeeze in the trip of a lifetime. Disney has done a poor job of designing a ship to handle the high traffic on Deck 11, the pools are way overtaxed and the buffet has no rhyme or reason. This line is no different in the "nickel and diming" category (charging for popcorn -- really?) our onboard account was higher than any cruise we've taken, even longer ones. We brought our own wine and alcohol too. We arranged this trip as a gift for our children and grandchildren, and in that respect it was a huge success. They were delighted in every way by the magic of Disney. We returned exhausted! We would only consider Dusney again for a "double-dip" at Castaway Cay, paradise! We priced out such a 4 day cruise and it was $3000 for both, more than we paid for our 7-day Fantasy trip. No one else in our party considered re-booking. They all want to go on RC next time, even with the little ones.

We do not regret taking this cruise for a moment. Our family will treasure every magical memory. In that respect the value was priceless. Do I believe we might have achieved the same result elsewhere, yes. (I would now prefer a visit to the parks) Value is not a price tag, it is the relative worth of money spent in meeting your own needs and desires. We did our one time DCL trip and it was great.

We're now equal with DCL and RCCL and to me they are equal, just in different ways. We like X from one, Y from the other. We dislike A from one and B from the other. Back and forth, and they work out to be equal.

Given that we have twice sailed concierge on DCL (and nothing close on Royal), you would think that by your criteria we would rate DCL higher, but nope. Equal.

Someone mentioned the Solarium. Maybe it's different on different ships, but I've read that it's the Solarium POOL that is off limits to kids. Going into the Solarium isn't off limits. Just the pool. So if they were in the pool then go talk to the employees. But just in the area might not be forbidden.

The person I responded to has mentioned plenty of times in previous post and in the post I quoted regarding price going up. That's value to me.

Yes 1 cruise with Disney but I said my Disney experiences. Which I stay at disneyworld at least once a month. Being a hardcore Disney fan I have no issue paying the premium price since they offer a premium product. I understand bargain shoppers won't understand this. They just see Royal is cheaper then disney so it's better. It's the same type of people who argue carnival is on par with rccl. It's not.

Never cruised Disney. I know several people who have and I haven't ever heard anything negative. I think in general they get really positive reviews and people have a great time. Everyone I know who has cruise Disney has kids and they love the "disney" experience. The characters and theming and all that fun stuff. If that is what you want then go with Disney. It's a unique product that only they offer. You won't get that Disney Magic anywhere else. There's nothing on any other line that comes close.

However, if you're simply looking for a good kids program, good food and service then I'd strongly consider staying away from Disney. It's not worth the extra money, at least for me.

Again is boils down to what you're looking for. Royal can't duplicate everything that Disney has but if you don't care about Disney then don't pay the extra money. That's my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pretty sure the under 16 crowd is not welcome in the entire Solarium venue. The exception would be if Park Cafe is located within.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Well, we have cruised 6x with DCL and 4x with Princess and did our first RCCL cruise this past Thanksgiving week on the Serenade of the Seas. Our cruise was "OK", but I'd put it several notches below Disney and one or two below Princess.

Several observations:

Good:

-MDR food was on par with DCL (maybe a half step below Princess)

-Touch Screen Navigators

-You could pull your bill up on the TV

-Bobsled Jamaica and Dunn's River Falls excursion

-Good wait staff team (once we settled on them, night 2 was bad - see below)

Bad:

-Buffet food (just average - Breakfast not very good) and layout. I still miss what Princess does by bringing you your drinks.

-Limited food options. Windjammer closed always when coming back from port.

-No poolside grill or pizzeria

-Movie theater pales in comparison to DCL (But at least they have one - listening Princess?)

-Service was not up to standards. The ship seemed understaffed. Only 1 person working pool bar - weird. Also, our Room Steward was not the best. We had an empty water bottle in one of our cabinets when we got into the room.

-Refrigerator that we had reserved with Special needs prior to cruise (DD has medicine that needs refrigeration) and confirmed - the ship had no account of it. Took almost 8 hours to get one...

-The ship had no record of our friends Shore excursions that they had already been charged for

-No aft stairs or elevator. The ship had a strange layout (I thought)

-Embarkation in New Orleans. Took us 1 1/2 hours to board. Some in our party, it took almost 4 hours.

-Rock climbing wall seemed always closed, and when it was open, only 1 person working to do both sign-up and rope guide.

-Waterslide only open from 11-3 on sea days and only 2 hours on port days.

-Could not bring Alcohol on board (like DCL)

-Stateroom was much, much smaller than DCL and I think a bit smaller than Princess (though I know this varies by ship)

-I really, really missed the laundry. We had to pack too much stuff...

-They charged for the kids club after 10pm

Ugly:

- This was my 11th cruise, but it was the first in which the cruise line brought up all of the luggage through the passenger elevators. Then they just piled it all up in the Centrum hallway. Crazy...

-Wait staff in MDR one night never brought my dessert (We had 4 different waiters that night) after asking about it 3 times. Everyone else got their dessert the 1st time...

Neither good nor bad:

-We never saw a show in the main theater on RCCL. We never miss them on DCL.

-Missed the Wave Phones they give you on DCL.

All that said, we had a good time and I'd give the cruise a 6-7. However, all things being equal, we will stick with DCL or Princess. However, if we get a good deal, we would try RCCL again. People say to try the Oasis/Allure, but those prices aren't very different from DCL. Also, Princess is usually cheaper.

Edited by bmc alabama

This is my (very personal) opinion....

I have only been on RCI once. Mexican Riviera right after the swine flu shut down in 2009. GS with my two BFFs. We had the best time. But I literally had no idea what I was doing. No seasoned cruise tactics. We just did what we wanted and had fun. Having no kids or husbands helped haha. Nothing wowed me except the Ice Show and the CC, which I definitely used every night for cocktails. And we loved Allan and the Dragon's Lair. Partied like it was 1999. I remember nothing about our dining team. The stateroom host was nice.

In July 2012 we started our DCL experience. Alaska (for a CME psychiatry cruise -- awesome, right???), the Pixar California Coast cruise Oct 2012, EBTA May 2013, WBPC May 2014, and WBTA Sept 2014. We have only done 7-, 14-, or 15-day sailings. We have never been on the Dream or Fantasy. Three reasons: 1) Seems snobby, but I'm from Hawaii -- why would I want to go to the Caribbean or Bahamas? Ewww.; 2) Sailings are too short; and 3) The ships hold twice as many people and the pools are the same size as the classic ships. It's just one big giant clump of people.

DCL provides a level of service that cannot be matched by RCI, IMO. That intangible thing someone mentioned earlier. They really take care of you, especially kids or people with special needs. The interactions with crew just have a different vibe. We have always requested the same servers. The head servers remember us. Bingo is my kids' favorite (I have 8-year-old twin boys). The Bingo Master calls them up to do the B11 dance and they set up a DVC tent won during a Bingo raffle and play Bingo in it -- on the stage in the Walt Disney Theater for the Final Must Go Jackpot. Our stateroom host on the Alaska cruise literally FOLDED OUR DIRTY CLOTHES (that were originally in a neat pile on the floor) and wrapped the cord of my flat iron around it every single day. Bar server got us extra goodies as the Family of the Day. Movies are incredible and constant day and night. Million Dollar Arm opened on one of our sailings. The movies by the pool are all day and totally awesome! The entertainment (Improv Shmimprov, Villans, Dreams, trivia, etc.) are fantastic. My kids don't go to the club -- literally ZERO times on our 14-night WBTA, so not much to comment on there. When we went to Palo, the servers allowed the boys to dine alone in the MDR for both dinner and brunch. They took care of them splendidly and were tipped well for it. We play catch on Deck 10 in the morning before anyone else is there.

But....DCL goes to the same ole' places over and over. As stated previously, I'm not going to the Caribbean or Bahamas. And we can't take the boys out of school for 2-4 weeks anymore (they missed a whole month in Sept!)

We had done OBB for their birthday in March (B2B 5-days on the Wonder -- in the Caribbean, actually). As it was getting close to PIF, I asked DH if I should commit. He basically put his foot down and said he absolutely doesn't want to go there. So since I LOVE CRUISING, I looked on RCI and found a sailing on MOS to Japan with actually better dates to accommodate the boys' Spring Break. It was $1500 cheaper to go from a 4A on DCL (biggest non-suite, midship verandah) to the RS on RCI!!! OMG. Who wouldn't do that??? AND we get $895 OBC! So we are super stoked and looking forward to new adventures. And going to Japan!

We will still do two European sailings and the Hawaii cruise (haha) next year with DCL. It also sucks that we joined DVC on the Alaska cruise and now have absolutely zero desire to go to WDW or DLR. The boys have even outgrown Universal. They like Cedar Point the best. King's Island second. No time share there haha.

I think bottom line is they are very different and you can absolutely love both. I'm just happy to make memories with my kids and DH, and to be able to take these amazing vacations!

DCL provides a level of service that cannot be matched by RCI, IMO. That intangible thing someone mentioned earlier.

I'm glad you still find that to be the case. That "thing" that we found for a long time with DCL just hasn't been there for us recently. Chronic problems not being resolved has meant we've chosen vacations elsewhere. Our most serious/recent problems have been on the classics, unfortunately.

The person I responded to has mentioned plenty of times in previous post and in the post I quoted regarding price going up. That's value to me.

Yes 1 cruise with Disney but I said my Disney experiences. Which I stay at disneyworld at least once a month. Being a hardcore Disney fan I have no issue paying the premium price since they offer a premium product. I understand bargain shoppers won't understand this. They just see Royal is cheaper then disney so it's better. It's the same type of people who argue carnival is on par with rccl. It's not.

So basically you're saying I'm not a hardcore enough Disney fan to appreciate them? Ok. I think I've voted with my money enough times to disprove that theory. We are discussing Disney Cruise Line vs Royal. This is not about WDW. (By the way, Mr./Ms. Hardcore, it is two words. Disney World. Disneyland is one.) So you are pulling from your one Disney Cruise for this opinion.

Where I spend my vacation dollars matters to me. Lately Disney's cruise service has been awful. We've had much better service on Royal and Celebrity this year. If I can get an experience that I enjoy elsewhere, why shouldn't I? Value does play a part but value is not all about money. You can find my opinions "laughable" but I'm not sure that your opinions are holding much water while you dismiss my experience.

(BTW: I have absolutely no desire to sail on Carnival so the "if I want value sail Carnival" argument is totally bogus.)

Where I spend my vacation dollars matters to me. Lately Disney's cruise service has been awful.)

Our experience was EXACTLY the opposite. Everything on the Serenade was an excuse. We even started calling it the "Excuses of the Seas". The staff seemed all out of sorts.

And to another post earlier, I had forgotten, but yes, our room steward on the Fantasy folded our dirty laundry as well, and we were in an oceanview cabin. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are definitely a "Disney' family. Owned stock since 1991. Daughter took her first steps in magic kingdom, etc. Two Dis Cruises and they were wonderful.

Entertainment is the one thing head and shoulders above any cruise line for me. On one cruise, Jennifer Hudson was in the the chorus when she was maybe 20 yrs old. Yes, Oscar Winning JH!

However, the cost premium can't be justified for me. Case in point. Dis Friends are going to St Petersburg on DCL this summer. I checked cost of outside cabin with a porthole and it ws $13,000 for two people!!!!

Just booked on RCL a trip to St Petersburg two weeks earlier and it costs $3,400 for two and we get a huge balcony and $200 OBC!

It DCL nicer, I'd say yes. Is it four times nicer? No.

Just my two cents.

However, the cost premium can't be justified for me. Case in point. Dis Friends are going to St Petersburg on DCL this summer. I checked cost of outside cabin with a porthole and it ws $13,000 for two people!!!!

Just booked on RCL a trip to St Petersburg two weeks earlier and it costs $3,400 for two and we get a huge balcony and $200 OBC!

Just my two cents.

One thing though is that Allure/Oasis are often just as much if not more than DCL. We are looking at potentially getting in a Spring cruise and Princess seems the best value.

Just my two cents.

I hear ya. I always book on opening day to get the best rates. I have only once gotten a better rate with an OBB. For our first Europe leg in August (Dover to Barcelona 7-nt), the price is now $13,156 for a 4A, which is 60% higher than what I paid. I would never pay that kind of money. Sounds like you will have an amazing time in Russia!

Sailed 4 times on Disney, am booked for my first Royal in 2016 and to be honest the only reason I am booked on Royal is because going with family and this was their choice. Although, they didn't have to twist my arm that much to go I thought I would give it a chance and see how I would like Royal vs. Disney.

I am looking forward to the cruise a lot, looking forward to traveling with my family and friends and doing the Hawaiian itinerary. With that said, I have to say with all the reading I have been doing here, I have to say I think that once I have completed this cruise, I will be back with Disney. I'm just not getting that same feeling from these boards or reports. I am hoping that I am wrong and that at some point I will rebook another cruise on Royal, but right now, I don't see that happening.

I know Disney does charge more for their cruises, but I also feel you get such good service, never had bad complaint on any of my cruises with them.

I am going on this cruise with an open mind. I am sure it will be great and I will have a great time. But what can I say, Disney is in my blood!! ;):D

Edited by dixielady

So basically you're saying I'm not a hardcore enough Disney fan to appreciate them? Ok. I think I've voted with my money enough times to disprove that theory. We are discussing Disney Cruise Line vs Royal. This is not about WDW. (By the way, Mr./Ms. Hardcore, it is two words. Disney World. Disneyland is one.) So you are pulling from your one Disney Cruise for this opinion.

Where I spend my vacation dollars matters to me. Lately Disney's cruise service has been awful. We've had much better service on Royal and Celebrity this year. If I can get an experience that I enjoy elsewhere, why shouldn't I? Value does play a part but value is not all about money. You can find my opinions "laughable" but I'm not sure that your opinions are holding much water while you dismiss my experience.

(BTW: I have absolutely no desire to sail on Carnival so the "if I want value sail Carnival" argument is totally bogus.)

i am saying that since your not willing to pay the premium for a Disney cruise your not a hardcore fan. Which is why your looking elsewhere for better value. You gave money to Disney until you felt it wasn't a good enough value for you anymore. You Can spend your money wherever you would like. My point was your bargin shopping which is fine but trying to sell it off as Disney is on par with rccl just isn't true. They are still above which is why they can sell for more money and sell near full often.

And yes I can use my one Disney cruise as my example because I didn't just judge it as a cruise. I took into account the Disney experience that NO OTHER cruise line can offer. For me that's worth a premium.

i am saying that since your not willing to pay the premium for a Disney cruise your not a hardcore fan.

So your definition of a fan is being willing to spend whatever they ask and not hold them accountable for their product? That whatever they do is covered in pixie dust and that's the end of that? I have other words for that and they definitely don't include the word "fan".

I'm not saying they are equal. I'm saying they are different. One product has provided better service IN OUR EXPERIENCE this year (which was nine cruises between Royal/X/Disney). It just so happens that the one providing the best service cost the least. Why would I pay more for an inferior product? The things that matter to me have suffered greatly on Disney. We are sailing them less. The end.

Edited by notsomadhatter

So your definition of a fan is being willing to spend whatever they ask and not hold them accountable for their product? That whatever they do is covered in pixie dust and that's the end of that? I have other words for that and they definitely don't include the word "fan".

I'm not saying they are equal. I'm saying they are different. One product has provided better service IN OUR EXPERIENCE this year (which was nine cruises between Royal/X/Disney). It just so happens that the one providing the best service cost the least. Why would I pay more for an inferior product? The things that matter to me have suffered greatly on Disney. We are sailing them less. The end.

This is what I have felt reading the boards here on Royal and finding why I really dont know if I want to sail on them again once I finish this cruise in 2016 with them. Its the attitude here on the boards.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but things turn ugly and nasty so fast espically the loyal to royal people. I understand that they feel the need to defend them in some way, but this just leaves an bad taste to me.

I'm sure that I will have a good cruise with them, and this is based on the people that I will be cruising with. I am sure that Royal will fine also, but to me it will not be Disney.

This is what I have felt reading the boards here on Royal and finding why I really dont know if I want to sail on them again once I finish this cruise in 2016 with them. Its the attitude here on the boards.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but things turn ugly and nasty so fast espically the loyal to royal people. I understand that they feel the need to defend them in some way, but this just leaves an bad taste to me.

I'm sure that I will have a good cruise with them, and this is based on the people that I will be cruising with. I am sure that Royal will fine also, but to me it will not be Disney.

I agree and its sad that people can't appreciate others views. But unfortunately the same thing happens over on disboards from those who can't see any view other than pro Disney.

I have been a Disney lover my whole 40 plus years of life. With many, many vacations to WDW. We have cruised both Disney and Royal and I would do both again. In my opinion the both have their own pros and cons.

Dont let the negativity here sway your view on Royal. Enjoy your cruise and make your own decision based on your own experience. I hope your cruise is a wonderful one!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I am not as seasoned as many here, but to me, RCI gives us a nice cruising experience with good entertainment at a reasonable cost (good value). For DCL, it gives us a magical entertaining experience on a cruise ship that is unique only to Disney.

But unfortunately the same thing happens over on disboards from those who can't see any view other than pro Disney.

Dont let the negativity here sway your view on Royal. Enjoy your cruise and make your own decision based on your own experience. I hope your cruise is a wonderful one!

Couldn't agree more. The DISboards can get very ugly, even within cruise meets. Some people even cancelled/changed their cruises based on issues with others.

Make your own decisions and enjoy!

Couldn't agree more. The DISboards can get very ugly, even within cruise meets. Some people even cancelled/changed their cruises based on issues with others.

Make your own decisions and enjoy!

Dont go on the disboards anymore because of that. Dont like all the uglyness over there either. Well, the only time I go on the dis, is to find the meet thread, then find the facebook page and go from there and generally stay away from the disboards.

Dont go on the disboards anymore because of that. Dont like all the uglyness over there either. Well, the only time I go on the dis, is to find the meet thread, then find the facebook page and go from there and generally stay away from the disboards.

But you're judging Royal Caribbean having never sailed on one of their ships based on the negativity of some posters on Cruise Critic?

Dont go on the disboards anymore because of that. Dont like all the uglyness over there either. Well, the only time I go on the dis, is to find the meet thread, then find the xxxxxx page and go from there and generally stay away from the disboards.

I am the opposite of you. I like the DIS (and CC and other message boards) and prefer to stay away from that other site you mention. People often forget that there are a number of people not on that site (I don't want them selling all my information to other companies to market to me).

I've never had an issue on the DIS or CC...

Just some general observations...

Blindingly being a fan of something without question isn't hardcore fandom. it's being a "fanboy" (or "fangirl") and an "apologist". They are the ones that make excuses for shortcomings of the thing they are a fan of. Hardcore fans have every right to call out negatives and be critical, because they tend to understand the product as good or better than the provider of the product. Of course, that can also go too far in the opposite direction, but then you're not being a hardcore fan, you're being a troll.

I agree and its sad that people can't appreciate others views. But unfortunately the same thing happens over on disboards from those who can't see any view other than pro Disney.

I have been a Disney lover my whole 40 plus years of life. With many, many vacations to WDW. We have cruised both Disney and Royal and I would do both again. In my opinion the both have their own pros and cons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Both of you make excellent points. I have been active on both CC and the DIS boards. FWIW, we encountered just as many rude and inconsiderate passengers onboard as we have on other brands (no more, no less)

Dixielady, sounds like you really have made up your mind, saying you doubt you will return to RCI.

I recently completed my first cruise with Disney (also pass holders, stockholders and frequents visitors to DW). I have not posted a review because I just didn't want to deal with the DISers who will hear nothing less than perfect about their beloved line. I have posted reviews of previous cruises here on CC.

To add to what other posters have stated:

For the money we expected alot more. We paid for four cabins and our party ranged from 6 months to 60s.

There were many things lacking on Fantasy that make them a "less than Premium" line IMHO, most of which I pointed out in my earlier post. Even the travel industry doesn't consider DCL a premium line:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise/Lines/Premium

We had excellent service, pretty much on par with other lines. We had a fantastic time, but enjoy the parks more (guess that rules us out as "hardcore" fans). We paid about double what we've paid on other lines (and we booked on opening day). So glad we experienced one DCL cruise, don't plan on returning unless we get a fabulous FL rate on a smaller ship.