Independent Land Tour Transportation Logistics

lucky cal

Originally considered a Princess Cruisetour, but am concerned about there being more time on buses and trains and not enough time in the locations we want to visit.

In researching DIY, I'm a bit stumped about the best transportation options for us based on what we want to do on land. We're thinking about:

- Flying into Anchorage (might want to spend a full day there)

- 2-3 days at Denali (including getting there)

- 2-3 days in Seward (including getting there)

- Travel to Whittier to board our ship

If our ship was sailing from Seward this might be a no-brainer. We would just rent a car in Anchorage, go to Denali, return the car to Anchorage, take the train to Seward and spend our last few days there before boarding the ship. But I see that there is no direct bus or train service between Seward and Whittier and I know that one-way car rentals can be steep in Alaska.

Anyone have suggestions for how to accomplish this itinerary economically and without too much backtracking? Also, does the suggested number of days sound feasible? We need to limit the entire trip to 2 weeks (might be able to squeeze in an extra day or two, though).

Thanks for your help!

Dawn

PJ's Taxi is an excellent, dependable service that has Whittier/Seward transportation. This service is not cheap, that wasn't an issue with me. What was the issue was the dependability and directness.

There may also be another vendor available look at http://www.seward.com for listings

In my opinion, wasting time back tracking to save money can be a poor choice in many cases. I never consider this since my time is the most valuable with my touring. You will need to determine which direction is right for you.

What time does your flight arrive in Anchorage?

If you want to stick with your original thought of renting a car then taking the train to Seward, Seward Buslines is another option for getting to Whittier.

http://www.sewardbuslines.net/summer.html

OR, rent the car for the entire land portion of your trip ... drive to Denali, then drive to Seward. On the day your ship departs, drive to Anc, return the car and catch the 3pm Park Connection Bus to Whittier ( or some other transfer).

http://www.alaskacoach.com/schedule/

Compare the prices of all 3 options.

We are hiring a car at anchorage airport driving to Denali driving to Seward driving back to Anchorage downtown (for no one way drop fee) and catching the whittiershuttle dot com

which has good reviews for $28 direct pp or $38 pp with a tour of Alaskan wildlife centre. We have 8 nights total. Both are narrated and stop for photo ops along the way. Book your car ASAP. Prices go up all the time. I worked out this was the cheapest and convenient method for us.

One way drop fees to Whittier are $150 on top of your rental and you can only book with Avis as they are the only rental company in Whittier.

Don't know why I'm the only person who can't post a URL :(

Edited by paddingtonbear

I guess I don't get people's efforts to avoid "backtracking". To me, that's like saying: "I've eaten at a great restaurant once, no need to ever do that again".

I spent two summers driving tour bus between Anchorage and Seward. And I loved the view on each and every trip. So I would have no problem driving the rental car to Seward and then back to Anchorage to return the car and then catching the train to Whittier to join the ship.

I guess I don't get people's efforts to avoid "backtracking". To me, that's like saying: "I've eaten at a great restaurant once, no need to ever do that again".

I spent two summers driving tour bus between Anchorage and Seward. And I loved the view on each and every trip. So I would have no problem driving the rental car to Seward and then back to Anchorage to return the car and then catching the train to Whittier to join the ship.

My thinking was that with time so limited on what could be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, it would waste time to backtrack and would force us to spend more time in the car and less time enjoying activities. But maybe that's not such a big deal when the views outside your window are of one of the most beautiful places on earth.

So if we do the round-trip car rental in Anchorage, maybe it would make sense to go to Seward first, then on to Denali, then back to Anchorage to catch a bus or train to Whittier? Though it looks like Seward to Denali is about a 7-8 hour drive so that will be a long day for sure.

Thanks to all for the suggestions ... keep them coming!

Dawn

Edited by lucky cal

The point is those with limited time. The ONLY issue. :) Me, I'm on the road repeatedly, and absolutely agree that I never tire of the varied views.

But, if someone has only a few days, and cuts short a tour of Seward because they have to turn a car back into Anchorage- it may be a poor choice in my opinion.

I tend to agree with you, especially since the "backtracking" portion from Portage to Anchorage is only about an hour each way. Most people, even those who drive from Seward to Whittier, won't use that day wisely anyway. But it all comes down to priorities and what else one might be doing with their time that day.