Taking the Ferry to Water Island for the Day

vacationlady

I just did a post on my blog along with pics, about taking the ferry from Crown Bay to Water Island for the day. This is a very easy day trip that can be done by both cruise ship passengers (depending on your time in port) and people staying on the island. The cost is only $10 per person round trip. It was a great day on Water Island, and one I would do again. You can read about it on my blog at

winenchocolate dot com

I’m glad Vacationlady had such a peaceful day on Water Island however this is a one-day snapshot of her experience. Others should not be misled that it is like this every day. During high season on a “typical” day with ships in St Thomas, this small beach may have as many as ten excursions coming and going from about 10am until 6 pm and up to 500 people on the beach midday. The conditions as shown in the blog are not those usually found by cruise passengers. Unless you are staying on the island and can get to the beach very early you will find the population density to be similar to other popular beaches on St. Thomas.

P3260419b.jpg.79b10bee98215c8d878fb37a780c36e0.jpg

P1150185b.jpg.306af6dacb872d60134fc06531639dfe.jpg

P1011698b.jpg.bb89250ee8fc74cf678807824cf4b807.jpg

We rented a house on St Thomas for 10 days this past summer and enjoyed a peaceful day at Water Island with only one cruise ship in port. We swam with the sea turtles and had a delightful day. I cannot imagine the beach with all of those people. We visited Water Island in 2007 before it was developed with the beach bar. There were only two families on the beach that day. Things have truly changed.

There have been two places on Honeymoon Beach for a while. Heidi's Honeymoon Grill and Joe's at the other end of the beach. The new people who have taken over Joe's have expanded operations exponentially. One thing that kept crowds down was the hike to the beach. Now free rides make it easy for more people to go.