Food trays from room service reuse

missdaisy

I am a Southerner so please pardon me for the tacky following question. My

husband and I frequently like to go to the lido to get lunch or mixers for our balcony dining. Can we keep a room service tray and take it back up there to carry our items back to our room?

The room service trays are quite large & might be very heavy.. The problem you may have is getting someone to pick up the dishes, cups etc which were delivered to your cabin..If you can arrange for pickup of all the things, I don't see why not..

However, here is another option...There should be a little round metal tray in your cabin which holds the bottled water, soda etc. or you might try a Dollar Store or Party store to get a couple of smaller & very inexpensive lightweight trays...Those should fit a sandwich & cup of coffee on them & weigh very little...They can be packed in the bottom of your suitcase..

Several years ago we had a discussion about the lack of trays & that is what was suggested by several posters...I bought a small plastic tray at our Dollar Store & use it to get coffee in the Lido.. Someone also suggested getting the cardboard trays & leaving them on board when you go home.. Don't know how they worked out..

Hope this helps..

Edited by serendipity1499

There's no "may be" about it; the room service trays are very heavy, especially when you put a plate or two and glasses on it. It is not only larger than the passenger trays they used to supply, it is thicker to hold the extra weight of the meals delivered to the cabins.

As suggested above, buy a tray that's the size the ship used to supply. It will do the job, and is easily washed down and stored. It fits nicely standing upright in the closet.

The trays at the salad bar at Whole Foods is the perfect size. :D I once asked to buy and the manager apologized he could not sell me any but he gave me two. The dollar stores often sell lightweight easy to pack trays and I've seen a few people using them. I've never seen anyone stopped or asked to not use their tray. :)

I definitely would not want to use the big room service trays. Too big and awkward.

Edited by sail7seas