Radiance Sydney to Perth 20.10.14

B. Bnb

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My internet was still connected through my mobile hotspot when I threw my phone back into my handbag which explains the goobly gook that you see here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are the final photos from Geraldton:

Interior of the Cathedral:

P1000057_zps564d78da.jpg

Outside of the Maritime Museum which had a large display of the HMAS Sydney tragedy:

P1000065_zpsffc01c9f.jpg

Street scene opposite the Museum:

P1000066_zpsa56ca45c.jpg

New boardwalk from the Museum to the Wharf:

P1000067_zps28ba0db7.jpg

Waiting in the tender line. There was a very quick & efficient tender service all afternoon. Each tender holds 100 passengers:

P1000072_zpsd1f54dcb.jpg

That's it from Geraldton!

I may or may not have some photos to add from Fremantle & Perth but as I come over every year, it's all about visiting family and not about tourist sites these days.

In the meantime, if you have any questions at all either about the Radiance and / or any of the Ports we visited, please feel free to ask.

Gae

Thanks everyone for your great photos and adventures aboard the radiance -

We are also going on this same cruise in Feb ..

Just some questions

Airlie Beach -- what time was the first tender ?

what time was the last tender ? how long did the tender trip take ?

What did others do and enjoy in this port ?

Those that did the ocean rafting - was that the one through the ship ?

In bali - what company did people use to book a private driver through? ..

Thanks

PORTS OF CALL - TOP END CRUISE – Radiance 20.10.14 to 5.11.14

Brisbane: The ship is too large to fit under the Gateway Bridge so has to moor at the industrial Grain Terminal closer to the mouth of the river. Unfortunately there are no FREE bues into the city so we elected to pay for a shuttle. This dropped us close to the Queen Street Mall where there’s lots of shopping available.

We wanted to experience the free riverboat and also the Hop on Hop off bus. We missed out on the HOHO bus as it just goes around the city centre and doesn’t service the Southbank area where we finished our river tour.

Probably best to use the HOHO bus firstly which could be found near the Mall and then head down to the river for the free boat ride once you return to the Mall area. I just stopped people in the street to ask for directions.

Airlie Beach (tender port): Here the ship’s tenders go to Abell Point which is 2 or 3 kilometres from the township. There are buses running between the two areas. The friendly volunteers that meet you onshore will point you in the direction of these.

We elected to walk along the coastline into Airlie Beach which was quite interesting and also easy. The day heated up somewhat so that by the time we were ready to go back to the ship, we decided to take the bus. The only buses we saw were the shuttles for the ship. Though we hadn’t pre-purchased tickets, we just had to provide details of our setsail folio number and we were onboard.

We did think that we’d only have to pay half-price as we only travelled one way but no, we had to pay the full shuttle price of $14 I think it was.

Another thing, we were advised to go to the end of the beach to the sailing club for lunch. We passed other nice looking eating places along the way and in retrospect, would probably have preferred to lunch at one of them.

Darwin: Here we elected the HOHO bus trip purchased through the cruise line. This was good value as it met you right at the Cruise Terminal.

The only thing we would do differently would be to get off at the early stop in the city, do our shopping then hop back on to visit the Museum etc. as this bus takes about 1.5 hours to travel the loop in a clockwise direction only.

We didn’t realise that initially so went around to the Museum stop where we spent about an hour, hopped on again from there whilst the bus went around to the rest of the stops, including the Cruise Terminal, then hopped off at the city stop for a little lunch and shopping.

We thought we’d use the HOHO bus to return to the Terminal but realised that it would take at least another hour before it did the loop back to the Port so we decided to walk back.

Good idea in one way, bad idea if you have lots of shopping to carry back.

There is a very easy walk-way which starts opposite Parliament House which you’ll have pointed out to you before you reach the city stop. Just one block away from the Mall if I remember correctly.

You walk out to the end of the suspended walkway where there is a lift down to the next level. Continue along to the end of this second suspended walkway, past some office areas to the end where there are 2 lifts to take you down to ground level.

This brings you out to the new Waterfront area where you’ll find public toilets, a wave pool, lots of restaurants, café & shops! We spent at least 1.5 hours here!

Walk right along to the end of the shops in the direction of the ship and you’ll find a footbridge which joins up to a footpath which takes you straight through to the Cruise Terminal.

Of course, you can do this walk in reverse from the Cruise Terminal straight up to the City Centre if you prefer. Just look to your right to find the pedestrian path through the waterfront area, up the lift to the first suspended walkway, up a second lift to the last suspended walkway then just keep walking straight ahead to the City Centre Mall area.

It was very hot here so don’t forget a hat, water & sunscreen!

Benoa – Bali (tender port): The ship’s tours are interesting if you haven’t been here before and not too expensive but you can do the same things yourself for much, much less if you organise a small group to share a driver which you can find on the internet if you google “private driver Bali”.

There were 3 of us (instead of the 4 that I’d arranged with our driver) so we paid a little extra to make up for the other person.

Our driver took us to a Batik Factory, a Silversmiths Factory, Coffee plantation, Restaurant for lunch overlooking a rice field outside of Ubud, a woodcarvers compound and finally a waterfall.

All of these places had shops attached. I only bought the “poo” coffee and a small wooden jewellery box. There was no problem with Customs bringing these in but I DID declare them. (More about Customs later)

Port Hedland: Like all new ports you need to be up early to watch the ship come into port! There were lots & lots of ore tankers lined up out to sea waiting their turn to be taken into the harbour.

Best to be up on Deck 12 to get the best vantage point of the narrow channel that has been dredged to allow these massive ships access to the harbour.

Yes, it’s an industrial port and looks like the pits when you arrive but it’s a very interesting place so don’t stay onboard here!

Last year I elected to take the only ship’s tour available which was through the port where a BHP employee joined the bus to commentate to what we were seeing.

This year I took the free shuttle into the township where there were lots of volunteers to help with information.

Other passengers say that they found some local tours to take. I didn’t find any information about them but then, I wasn’t looking either.

Geraldton (tender port): We arrived here about 11am so waited onboard until after lunch before taking the tender into town. We had purchased a HOHO shuttle through the ship for $20 each so just a short walk from the wharf to the buses which were arriving & departing each 10-15 minutes.

This is a very nice town so don’t stay onboard here!

Tender tickets: We only elected to line up for early tickets into Benoa where we had a private driver waiting at the Port for us. We had tender tickets No. 2 & even so it was about 9.15 before we landed at the port.

For the other 2 tender ports, Airlie Beach & Geraldton, if you just intend to wander around at your own pace, then don’t get caught up with the tender ticket system of lining up for the ticket, waiting for your tender number to be called, then waiting in long lines in the stairwells for your turn to hop on the tender boats. This is a BIG waste of your time and energy when you can just hold back until most passengers are off the ship and the announcement that no tender tickets are now required is made. It’s just a 5-10 minute effort to get yourself from the ship to the tender if you hold back for about 1 to 1.5 hours to depart. This is the stress-free method of going onshore!

Customs: We had our fair share of Customs & Immigration on this cruise starting from the day we boarded in Sydney to be confronted with a very long line to visit the Indonesian Immigration Officers in the Deck 5 dining area who were checking everyone’s passports prior to us being allowed into our cabins. NO MORE to be said about this system except to say it was horrendous as most people reported taking 2-4 hours to board instead of the usual 20-30 minutes!

Somewhere between Brisbane & Darwin we had to relinquish our passports to have our Indonesian Visas processed for a cost of $USD35 which was charged to every passengers sea-passes whether they intended going ashore or not.

Prior to Port Hedland Australian Immigration handed back our passports after inspecting our Immigration cards which we had been delivered to our cabins some 2 days prior.

As we had purchased items in Bali, we declared these and were instructed that our food (coffee, tea, chocolate) was fine but that we would need to have our wooden items inspected in Perth.

CUSTOMS AT FREMANTLE - BEST TO HAVE SOMETHING TO DECLARE as that line just had one person in it when we got there whereas the nothing to declare line was much, much longer!

It took us just 5 minutes to get through Customs so we’ve learnt our lesson, declare something, go through that line at Customs and you’re out of there in no time!

The whole disembarkment process took us no more than 10-15 minutes!

Fremantle: As I have family living here I’ve been here many times so no longer do the tourist things but would suggest the following:

• Take the FREE orange HOHO bus around Fremantle for a quick look to get your bearings.

• Lunch down at the seafood places at the Marina can’t be beaten.

• Lots of cafes along the Cappuccino Strip

• The Markets Friday, Saturday & Sunday

• Fremantle Prison

• Maritime Museum

• Trip across to Rottnest Island

• Sail up the Swan River to Perth

• Take the train up to Perth – just to name just a few!

Perth:

• Here there are 3 FREE buses to take you in 3 different directions from the CBD. These are the RED, BLUE & YELLOW cats (Can’t remember what CATS stand for!). You’ll see bus-stops for these all through the city. The bus usually displays the colour on their front panel if not on the side of the bus.

• You’ll be taken up near King’s Park (not to be missed)

• The Train Terminals both in the city (old one) and the other newer large one down near the river

• The Perth Mint

• The Jetty for cruises down to Fremantle or up the Swan River further

• The WACA (cricket ground) etc. etc. etc.

Next visit the beaches where the sun sets in the west (strange at first for east-coasters) of Cottlesloe, Scarborough & Hilary’s Boat Harbour are well worth a visit especially for families.

The Perth Zoo is also well-worth a visit.

If you have more time consider visits to the southern cities of Busselton (walk the long wharf to the aquarium) & Bunbury (climb the tower for great views). Further South to the Margaret River area too if you have time.

The Swan Valley vineyards and craft shops are a great day out as well. There’s so much to see and do you’ll need at least 3-4 days just to get a taste of the place.

Edited by gaechann

Gae, as usual great photos and reporting. When we are settled I'll do a short summary, somethings we did were different, although a lot being the same.

We are waiting around the Fremantle Passenger Terminal since 10.30 and it's now 2.00 and they are just starting checkin. We opted from the long line and are enjoying a rest on the comfy lounges provided at the terminal. We had a walk down to the Fremantle Markets and foreshore. Drop off supposed to be at 10 but didn't start 'till 11.00 and checkin was 1.00 but just started now. In no hurry as we don't sail until tomorrow. And really a mad dash for lunch just isn't in our thoughts after the Radiance cruise!

Gae, as usual great photos and reporting. When we are settled I'll do a short summary, somethings we did were different, although a lot being the same.

We are waiting around the Fremantle Passenger Terminal since 10.30 and it's now 2.00 and they are just starting checkin. We opted from the long line and are enjoying a rest on the comfy lounges provided at the terminal. We had a walk down to the Fremantle Markets and foreshore. Drop off supposed to be at 10 but didn't start 'till 11.00 and checkin was 1.00 but just started now. In no hurry as we don't sail until tomorrow. And really a mad dash for lunch just isn't in our thoughts after the Radiance cruise!

We look forward to seeing your summary, even if it may be very similar it is still a differing perspective and there may be things you did that Gae didn't. cheers.:D

Hi all - I forgot to share the Royal Caribbean ultimate dining experience with you - Chefs Table - an intimate dining room for 14 people each night!

We were in a Deck 4 cabin which was just a few steps to the dining room so we ate there for most of our meals. On the second morning at breakfast we were approached by one of the Chops Grille waiters asking if anyone was interested in a "special" price for Chefs Table that evening as there had been a last minute cancellation.

We'd looked at this option of 5 courses with matching wines on each occasion that we've sailed with Royal but dismissed it as too expensive and anyway, the dining room food was more than adequate.

We had previously dined at Portofinos, Giovanni's, Chops Grille & Izumi so weren't too interested in trying the $$$$$ restaurants this time up, especially as the prices had increased but this "special" convinced us to give it a try.

What an experience! We paid $50 rather than the $70 that it's normally costed at and believe that we would have drunk more than $50 worth of wine and then there were the amazing 5 courses!

We gathered at the entrance of the Colony Room (Deck 6) where Chefs Table is located (hadn't noticed it previously) where the Restaurant Manager (from Ukraine?) met us with a glass of Moet before we were ushered into the restaurant, set up with one long table for 14.

He then introduced us to the Chef (from Mexico) & the Sommelier (from India). The chef would place each course in front of him and then describe it in detail including how it was prepared. The Sommelier would then show us which wine he had chosen for each course, where it came from and the alcohol content before each course was served and the corresponding wine poured.

I've included a copy of the menu here but might I just state that this was the most amazing dining experience that I've ever had! The food was out of this world as was each wine selected.

As with most fine dining, the portions were small which can't be said for the wines! To such an extent that we weren't too sure what we were eating both because of the Chef's accent and also because the wine starting "talking" early in the night!

We have little recollection how we made it back to our cabin after the 3.5 hours of fine wining & dining and it wasn't until we read the copy of the menu next morning that we were sure what we had eaten!

To summarise, if you have the opportunity to dine at Chef's Table don't hesitate to try it! We were a group of very ordinary Australians knowing very little about fine food and wines but we all agreed that we more than received value for money!

Just one little aside - our sea pass cards were collected at the end of the meal and then presented for us to sign. We didn't remember adding a tip but an extra charge appeared on our accounts when we checked via our TV the following day! We queried the additional charge at the Guest Relations Desk who advised what the charge was - tricky eh? :o

I forgot my camera so took photos with my iphone so please excuse the quality.

Here's a copy of the menu for starters:

IMG_0985_zpsdc8dd225.jpg

First course:

Confit of Atlantic Salmon & Poached Lobster Tail - pea puree, shellfish oil, fresh fennel & baby lettuce salad, snow pea pods

Wine - Spy Valley from NZ

NOTE: I had started on this course before remembering to photograph it:

IMG_0975_zps31059210.jpg

Edited by gaechann

SECOND COURSE:

Soup Duo - cream of celeriac, double duck consommé

Wine - Pinot Noir from California

The little roll had shredded duck meat in it which the Chef advised was the eaten by hand after dunking into the soups!

IMG_0976_zps8e6fb3d9.jpg

Edited by gaechann

THIRD COURSE:

Seared Diver Scallops - on brown butter hollandaise, fried capers & parsley puree

Wine - Glen Carlou Chardonnay from South Africa

This was a surprise to us when we read it on the menu the next day! :D

IMG_0978_zps1ee57c88.jpg

FOURTH COURSE:

Slow Roasted Veal Tenderloin - Artichoke puree, miniature fondant potatoes, baby vegetables, shiraz & shallot reduction

Wine - Penfolds Thomas Hyland Cabernet Sauvignon from Australia

IMG_0980_zps2e369b87.jpg

FIFTH & FINAL COURSE:

Caramelised pear over nougat montelimar parfait - biscotti syrup & forest berries - chocolate stab (my wording not theirs!)

Wine - Pelee Island late harvest riesling from Canada

IMG_0983_zps11777df7.jpg

Wow, looks absolutely wonderful. :D

We have done a chefs table on the Solstice and it was also wonderful. A bit more expensive at $99 but it included a photo of the group and the huge cook book (normally $59 ) that weighed 5 kgs, lucky we were coming into Sydney and not flying. :D

Radiance of the Seas - Top End Cruise

Ports summary -

Brisbane - stayed onboard.

Airlie Beach - Ocean Rafting, ship's tour - approx. $190 each, tender to marina then just over 4 hours on raft. Tender back or time to walk into Airlie Beach. Taken to 2 spots for swimming and snorkelling. The first was a rough coral beach but very pretty, reef shoes would have been handy. The second was sandy with toilets. Bottled water, fresh fruit and cake provided. Snorkelling gear and wetsuits provided if needed. Not a good tour for anyone with back, neck or mobility problems. And you will probably get wet! Great day.

You may be able to book privately although this company advises you to book through the ship. Our tour was designed to fit in with cruiseship times. There is another company also. Worth trying both but remembering to allow time for tendering to marina and back to fit in the tour.

Darwin - Litchfield National Park and short city tour, approx. $180 each, 8 hours. Expect hot conditions. Wangi and Florence Falls, termite mounds and BBQ lunch. Paths were good and walking not too far or steep. Swimming possible at Wangi Falls, providing there are no crocs! BBQ was delish and plentiful - barra or chicken. Great day again. Some hired a car and did a similar tour very cheaply.

Oh, we're on the move from Fremantle on the Volendam, so may lose connection shortly, more tomorrow from Albany.

Edited by megsie

Radiance of the Seas - Top End Cruise

Ports summary -

Brisbane - stayed onboard.

Airlie Beach - Ocean Rafting, ship's tour - approx. $190 each, tender to marina then just over 4 hours on raft. Tender back or time to walk into Airlie Beach. Taken to 2 spots for swimming and snorkelling. The first was a rough coral beach but very pretty, reef shoes would have been handy. The second was sandy with toilets. Bottled water, fresh fruit and cake provided. Snorkelling gear and wetsuits provided if needed. Not a good tour for anyone with back, neck or mobility problems. And you will probably get wet! Great day.

You may be able to book privately although this company advises you to book through the ship. Our tour was designed to fit in with cruiseship times. There is another company also. Worth trying both but remembering to allow time for tendering to marina and back to fit in the tour.

Darwin - Litchfield National Park and short city tour, approx. $180 each, 8 hours. Expect hot conditions. Wangi and Florence Falls, termite mounds and BBQ lunch. Paths were good and walking not too far or steep. Swimming possible at Wangi Falls, providing there are no crocs! BBQ was delish and plentiful - barra or chicken. Great day again. Some hired a car and did a similar tour very cheaply.

Oh, we're on the move from Fremantle on the Volendam, so may lose connection shortly, more tomorrow from Albany.

Just read your post so clicked over to the Freo cams and caught you sailing out of the Harbour.....

8vol_zpse581bac0.jpg

Thanks for all your info...will be dong this one the end of feb 2015.

Do you know if the balcony rooms (non suites) had a boiler maker /tea pot in the cabins? Planning on bringing my instant Starbucks coffee if they do....

Thanks

Sandy

Thanks for all your info...will be dong this one the end of feb 2015.

Do you know if the balcony rooms (non suites) had a boiler maker /tea pot in the cabins? Planning on bringing my instant Starbucks coffee if they do....

Thanks

Sandy

When we cruised on the Radiance in 2012 in a balcony cabin there was no kettle. I would be take take thermal travel mugs and fill them up with boiling water from the Windjammer or Park Cafe. You can also order boiling water and coffee from room service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

David, Just perfect timing for the Volendam snap.

Sandy, No kettles in balcony on Radiance, but you could always ask. The brewed coffee onboard is the lesser/commercial Starbucks - SB's (Seattle's Best).

Have had a beautiful day in Albany - National Anzac Memorial, Convoy Walk and lookouts and Desert Mounted Corps Memorial/lookout - all magnificent.

Now to the Radiance ports' summary again -

Benoa, Bali. We opted for the ship's tour Kuta on your own - $60 for 4.5hours.

New, air conditioned coach with guide who gave commentary. She also provided each with a folding batik/bamboo hat, bottled water and a box of packaged snacks. We were dropped off and picked up at the Centro shopping centre. It was air conditioned and you could walk through to the beach or along the street to the smaller shops, just be careful where you can be cajoled into going shopping outside the Centro. The shopping in the Centro wasn't that great and no bartering. Nice batik shop, loads of souvenirs, Guess, Ralph Lauren, chemist etc but generally not great value. When asked about road rage in Kuta, the guide said there really wasn't any because there were no road rules or speed limits!

I had 27,000 rupiahs left ($2.70 approx) and went to the hawkers at the terminal fence to see who to give this to and got a reasonable sarong (will use it as a tablecloth) in return.

Anchors up on Volendam, Esperance tomorrow, more then.

Hi all

I currently use Photobucket to download my photos here.

Firstly I need to download them from my camera to my laptop.

Next I need to open up my Photobucket (PB) online account to then upload the photos I want to share from my laptop to my PB library account.

Then I open & select the photos that I want to download to the forum.

All this uploading & downloading has really eaten into my monthly data allowance!

I currently use my mobile phone as a Hotspot to connect my laptop to the internet. Thank heavens I have a larger monthly data allowance now that I've changed over to Optus! Even so, I have one more week of the month remanding with just 1GB left.

Guess I won't be downloading photos too often! Well, once we're connected to our new NBN Unlimited account that is (supposed to be next week)! :D:D

Gae