Best time of year for once in a lifetime Alaska trip

ctrlbrk

I'm 37 and love to cruise. I finally convinced my grandmother to go, she is 80. She wants to go to Alaska. This will be a once in a lifetime trip for her. And I likely won't return to Alaska anytime soon myself.

I prefer Caribbean warmer ports because I hate the cold. But naturally I want to be with my grandmother in what will be the most adventurous trip she has ever taken in her life, and she wants Alaska and I think that is better than Caribbean for her.

I'm just starting my research. I'd like to go sooner than later, thinking March? But not sure about climate or other seasonal gotchas.

Advice?

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

Alaska cruises only occur May thru Sept.

Not sure but I think only HAL offers a 14 day itinerary.

Start your research with a couple of books specific to Alaska cruises .... Fodor has 'Alaska Ports of Call' and Ann Vipond has 'Alaska by Cruiseship'. Both books provide information on cruiselines, ships, itineraries, ports, activities, excursions, etc.

Also, read thru trip reports in the STICKYs above, for 2014 and 2013. There are many photo journals and detailed trip reports with lots of great info. (if you look at 2013, start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship).

Have fun with your research!

Edited by mapleleaves

I'm 37 and love to cruise. I finally convinced my grandmother to go, she is 80. She wants to go to Alaska. This will be a once in a lifetime trip for her. And I likely won't return to Alaska anytime soon myself.

I'm just starting my research. I'd like to go sooner than later, thinking March? But not sure about climate or other seasonal gotchas.

Advice?

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

We prefer Alaska in May for several reasons: Schools are still in session so very few children, fewer passengers are on board with younger families missing, prices are lower than the regular high season (Jun - Aug), there is still snow on the hills, baby whales are playing, baby eagles are learning to fly, etc.

We do two seven-day cruises in a row since there is so much to see in Alaska at every stop. Staying on the ship for a second week means that you will know all of the nuances of the ship as well as lots of crew member names.

Special Needs At Sea rents scooters so your grandmother can enhance her mobility.

First-time Alaska visitors cannot get enough of the scenery, clean air, and the wildlife. Most return to Alaska for more visits.

I don't find anywhere near the numbers of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean, so do not agree with the above post as a reason in their list.

It sounds like this poster is looking at a back to back or will be on HAL's 14 day round trip Seattle? Or is it possible a 7 day cruise then 7 day combo cruisetour?

I too would suggest they back up and find out about Alaska, it isn't as simple as a blind pick. :)

There could be priorities that dictate the timeframe so, I would look at making that list before a date is chosen.

Denali doesn't really fully open till about June 6, depending on the weather, so don't go too early. Don't go too late. We have seen fewer animals in late August-September. Plan on two nights in Denali and Fairbanks. Substitute Tundra Wilderness Tour for Natural History Tour. NHT doesn't go far enough into the park to see much. To really see large mammals, you need to go inland or spend a lot of money on bear seeing flights. We are planning another trip SOON because our mobility is going. Lot's of standing and on and off buses and airplanes.

What kind of mobility options are available during the excursions? Can she remain seated the majority of the time while still enjoying some good tours? No single excursion from the ship and or stateroom should be more than about 4 hours due to her needs to return and rest

Sent from my phone

Is Denali a "must" see? Does it work within the roughly 4 hour away from room timetable? Anything beyond that is pushing it.

Sent from my phone

Unless you're doing land travel as well as a cruise, Denali is out of the question.

Denali is 240 miles north of Anchorage.

OK I need to read about the land tour options. It sounds like we should do the cruise, then spend a week doing the land tours. I literally know nothing about that, I need to talk to my TA I guess.

It worries me because of her limited mobility. I want her to see and experience what we can, but she can only handle 4 hours a day max away from the room

Sent from my phone

with that 4 hr minimum be mindful of cruisetour details. There is usually very little information on travel times. ie the train from Anc to Denali is 8 hrs. There are restrooms on board and she will be able to get up and walk around.

Also, be aware that you can't drive a car thru Denali; you must ride in a large school-bus type vehicle. The buses stop every 90 minutes for a break at a restroom. The shortest trip I would recommend is to Eielson Visitor Center which is 8 hrs RT.

You may want to consider a rental car and plan your own land travel so that you have more control over where to stop and how far to travel each day. If you want to visit Denali a typical half-way point from Anchorage is Talkeetna which is 2 1/2 hrs.

This chart might help. Time/distance by train, bus and car to popular destinations:

http://www.alaska.org/advice/mileage-chart

It sounds like a 14 day AK trip with your grandmother might be best accomplished on HAL's 14 day itinerary, sailing roundtrip from Seattle (next year on the Statendam). There are no repeat ports, which I feel is important to note from other cruiseline's 14 day itineraries, which are really nothing more than back-to-back sailings, with maybe a port or two changed up on the return trip. I agree w/Mapleleaves that a cruisetour, given your grandmother's limitations, may not be ideal since there are looooong days spent traveling on busses and/or trains.

HAL's true 14 day itinerary includes the ports of Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Homer, Kodiak, Anchorage (the port of Anchorage itself, not Seward or Whittier), Icy Strait Point, and a full day in Victoria, BC. Scenic sailing days include Tracy Arm and Hubbard Glacier. The roundtrip Seattle option will also provide for less travel stress for your grandmother.

Since this is a cruise only option, it would be very easy to schedule 4 hour windows for your grandmother's port excursions. This would allow for easy access back to your grandmother's cabin on the ship so she can rest. Or as an alternative, still enjoy ship amenities and the gorgeous Alaskan views either from the comfort of her stateroom or in any one of the many comfortable, quiet, and windowed public areas which are a feature of Holland America ships.

I've personally done this 14 day itnerary (on the beautiful and elegant MS Amsterdam) three times, and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to visit more of Alaska - particularly the little-visited ports of Homer, Kodiak and Anchorage.

I prefer the May timeframe (in this case, I believe the first cruise of this 14 day itinerary in 2015 is May 18th), due to the long hours of daylight and the snow-capped mountain views that are just amazing. But I have also done this itinerary in early August, which allowed me the opportunity for bear viewing excursions, so there are always trade-offs. Whales can be seen during any of the Alaska sailings, which run from May thru September.

And may I say you are a very special grandchild to put your grandmother's desires first, in order to give her that 'bucket list' dream vacation she has her heart set on? Good luck in your mission!

OK I need to read about the land tour options. It sounds like we should do the cruise, then spend a week doing the land tours. I literally know nothing about that, I need to talk to my TA I guess.

It worries me because of her limited mobility. I want her to see and experience what we can, but she can only handle 4 hours a day max away from the room

Sent from my phone

I find that few TA's have much knowledge of Alaska past cruise tours. I occasionally get emails from TA's, asking me the most basic pitiful questions. Usually they "I read.... is it true?) stuff.

that 4 hour requirement is going to be tough to maintain mainland Alaska. An example, frankly, it isn't worth going to Denali unless you are getting INTO the park, which, in my opinion, means at least 8 hours on a modified school bus. Boat tours out of Seward aren't worth doing unless they are at least 6 hours. Never mind about the time consuming transits.

You may want to consider the back to back suggestion which will have some repeat ports available to split up touring perhaps? Plus they won't involve a long Anchorage flight.

Denali doesn't really fully open till about June 6, depending on the weather, so don't go too early. Don't go too late. We have seen fewer animals in late August-September. Plan on two nights in Denali and Fairbanks. Substitute Tundra Wilderness Tour for Natural History Tour. NHT doesn't go far enough into the park to see much. To really see large mammals, you need to go inland or spend a lot of money on bear seeing flights. We are planning another trip SOON because our mobility is going. Lot's of standing and on and off buses and airplanes.

I don't agree with some of the above. The road into Denali NP is open to the end on June 8. I can't remember a time in the past 15 years it was not open on that date, so the "depending on the weather" is a standard caveat but really is irrelevant.

Also, I have been in Denali in Aug/Sep quite often and also don't agree with the statement about fewer animals those months. In fact, every month is unique. You tend to see more moose near the entrance in September for example during the moose rut. You won't see two bull mooses locking antlers other than in September.

I will check into the HAL itinerary, but can you briefly describe the types of excursions available in these ports that would possibly fit the roughly 4 hour max window?

My question is basically, how close is the port from these site seeing tours in each location?

Sent from my phone

I will check into the HAL itinerary, but can you briefly describe the types of excursions available in these ports that would possibly fit the roughly 4 hour max window?

My question is basically, how close is the port from these site seeing tours in each location?

Sent from my phone

There are short bus type tours in each port. The "downtown" port areas are minutes from the cruise ships. Flights go "farther" and most scenic flightseeing tours are less than 4 hours. I suggest you head to your library and get a Ports Of Call book/s Also take some time and read through the cruise line ship tour descriptions. There are many options to book independent. But the shore excursion list is a good concise place to start.

Sent from my phone

Excursions less than four hours:

Ketchikan - Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad from TV series "Deadliest Catch". Has heated/covered bleachers with scooter parking area. Short walk from the ship dock.

Juneau - Whale watching on larger boats with indoor/heated seating as well as outdoor viewing. Wheelchair provided to transport from the bus to the catamaran. Recommend bringing a walker for on board.