medical costs

glads

My brother had a pretty bad sinus infection...the visit and medication cost him around $300. When the ship doctor gave him his prescription, my brother told him that the medication he was prescribing did not help in the past. The ship doctor (this was freedom of the seas) insisted it would work. My brother had recurring sinus infections and repeated to the doctor that he would prefer something else. The doc refused and after a couple of days of feeling a little bit better, the sinus infection came back with a vengenance. The next day he flew home, got the prescription he needed, and felt better in a day or two.

My daughter slipped and fell on the rocks in Labadee, and we thought her wrist was broken. She wasn't drinking, or doing anything stupid. They took both of our statements on how it occurred. At 1st, they staff was a little more stern than I thought was necessary, ensuring I understood the billing. I was more than prepared to pay for it.

Then we moved on to the medical staff, who were wonderful. They had some concerns on the 1st x-ray, and redid it. They even x-rayed the other wrist because there was some kind of "tag" they wanted to compare. Sorry, I'm non-medical if you can't tell.

Good news, not broken. They fitted her with a brace, and prescribed pain pills. The doctor questioned her about drinking, and ensured she prescribed something that would be ok with a bit of alcohol :).

To my surprise, no charge! I think the good news is, we were on RCCL's private island and not wandering around in Cozumel. I walked away impressed with the entire experience.

Edited by Goes Cruising

Most insurance carriers do not cover you outside of the USA. I know for a fact Medicare doesn't.

When my husband became ill on Rhapsody, 3 days from our return to Vancouver, the total charges amounted to $1200+. I submitted the bill to our secondary insurance and we were reimbursed the full amount.

From Medicare Coverage Outside the United States

Will Medicare pay for medically necessary health care services

I get on a cruise ship?

Medicare may cover medically necessary health care services you get on a cruise ship in these situations:

The doctor is allowed under certain laws to provide medical services on the cruise ship.

The ship is in a U.S. port or no more than 6 hours away from a U.S. port when you get the services, regardless of whether it’s an emergency.

Medicare doesn’t cover health care services you get when the ship is more than 6

hours away from a U.S. port.

Edited by cruisenfever

• 3 years later...
I was on board Mariner cruising from Singapore to Shanghai last year and ended up with an infection requiring IV therapy for 3 days. As a nurse I was amazed with their facilities including pathology results in 10 minutes!

I received a report for my own GP and a very detailed invoice went directly onto my seapass account which I then submitted to my insurance company. I was fully covered for all my investigations, consultations and medications.

Most impressed with the service and their efficiencies. It is not a service that I would be expecting to use!

Do you remember which insurance company you used?

I really had no way to fight it because trying to contact the medical facility on the ship would have been next to impossible. I'm sure my insurance company knew that.

That's not entirely true. I needed a document from the ships doctor and i emailed them weeks after the cruise and they sent it through and the onboard doctor even called me to discuss it.

My son had a severe ear infection on the last night of our cruise. We had an after hours charge plus 3 different medicines and it was about $275. Our insurance company declined the charges because they said they couldn't read the codes that were on the very detailed invoice from RCL. :rolleyes:

I really had no way to fight it because trying to contact the medical facility on the ship would have been next to impossible. I'm sure my insurance company knew that.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes it was added to our sea pass bill.

You should have contact Royal Caribbean, they would have helped.

Most insurance carriers do not cover you outside of the USA. I know for a fact Medicare doesn't.

And getting trip insurance from an outside source is fine if you are 35. But take a look at the prices for an 87 year old woman?. Cruise Care only varies their price on what your fare is. Regardless of age. I got a total package insurance quote for My MIL 2 years ago. Because we were flying to La for a few days precruise (private air not Choice Air). Then flying to do an Alaskan cruise. They wanted over $600 for the insurance just for her. Total for my wife, myself and her. Was over $1,200. The whole package cost without insurance was less than $3,800. 25% for coverage was over the top. Especially when most of the time we were in the USA.

I have been saying this on this board for years.

My parents were 87 when they cruised with us. 3rd party insurance for the two was as much or more than the cruise itself.

But one thing I have found it, if you can afford it, self-insure from the cruise cost. Just put in $0 for the cruise cost.

I just did this on Trip Insurance Store site, and got prices of $250 - $350 for 2 people aged 87 and 88. This gives you coverage for medical and evac, lost luggage, etc. But NO payment if you miss the cruise.

Since I have paid the money, and while I will be upset, I can handle that, this is what I do. At 62, last month, I covered a 9 night cruise for $50