medical costs

glads

If you have to use the medical centre on board ship are the costs charged to your sea pass account?

Yes, costs will be charged to your sea pass account and then you can file a claim against your insurance to get reimbursement when you get home, if you have insurance. If you go to the medical center because you think you have norovirus, they will not charge you, but they will quarantine you in your cabin for the duration of your illness.

I was on board Mariner cruising from Singapore to Shanghai last year and ended up with an infection requiring IV therapy for 3 days. As a nurse I was amazed with their facilities including pathology results in 10 minutes!

I received a report for my own GP and a very detailed invoice went directly onto my seapass account which I then submitted to my insurance company. I was fully covered for all my investigations, consultations and medications.

Most impressed with the service and their efficiencies. It is not a service that I would be expecting to use!

My son had a severe ear infection on the last night of our cruise. We had an after hours charge plus 3 different medicines and it was about $275. Our insurance company declined the charges because they said they couldn't read the codes that were on the very detailed invoice from RCL. :rolleyes:

I really had no way to fight it because trying to contact the medical facility on the ship would have been next to impossible. I'm sure my insurance company knew that.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes it was added to our sea pass bill.

Edited by readytolose

My son had a severe ear infection on the last night of our cruise. We had an after hours charge plus 3 different medicines and it was about $275. Our insurance company declined the charges because they said they couldn't read the codes that were on the very detailed invoice from RCL. :rolleyes:

I really had no way to fight it because trying to contact the medical facility on the ship would have been next to impossible. I'm sure my insurance company knew that.

Resend it to your insurance company and request that they send it to the foreign claims department. That is generally the department that handles them.

Appeal.. You should have appealed the decision to the next level of your insurance, sometimes they just want to make you jump thru hoops!

Resend it to your insurance company and request that they send it to the foreign claims department. That is generally the department that handles them.

Unfortunately that was back in 2009 and I ended up just paying it. Honestly I really never thought about appealing it. I figured I was just SOL because I didn't think there would be any chance of getting more info about the charges from RCL. Hopefully we never need the doctor on board again but if there is a next time I'll know what to expect and I'll make sure I have multiple forms listing all the charges in detail.

My daughter stumbled in a pair of daft shoes and went over one of her ankles while onboard.

She was examined and xrayed while onboard. No breaks found thankfully, but diagnosed with ligament damage. Given crutches to hobble around on, which RCI said we could keep.

No charge made to us at all, as injury had occurred while onboard.

The service she received was 2nd to none, RCI's medical facility's are superb. I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again, should anything unfortunate happen.

On a side note, my daughter being on crutches made our return flight from Rome a breeze, whizzed through check-in, put on a golf cart, straight through passport control and all security checks with minimum fuss right to departure gate. Same again when landed.

Just a shame she had to have an injury in the 1st place!

Had a $260 charge, submitted it to my insurance then to RCI's Cruise care and it was covered 100%.

I have been treated in the infirmary twice for injuries, once I needed x-rays. Both times, it was charged to Sea Pass and both times it was covered by my health insurance as an ER visit (with the appropriate co-pay deducted from my reimbursement).

Recently, a client was treated in the infirmary for 3 days for a gallbladder attack. He was treated very well. Had 3 days worth of I.V. antibiotics, lab work, EKG, etc and numerous consults with the doctor. In the end, his bill was around $1,200.00, which I thought was FANTASTIC for that much treatment. I would have gotten a bill for that much in my local ER for a short 3-4 hour visit.

My friend needed medical services while on board EX last week. She was suffering from severe motion sickness and did not stop vomiting for 5 hours. She was given a shot at the infirmary, but was never billed. My husband said he read somewhere that infirmary services were complimentary. I suppose it would depend on the services.

Good to know about the cruise insurance- I know she purchased it. I will let her know in case a bill shows up in the future.

If you travel more than a couple of times a year, look into annual medical travel insurance. Huge difference between the price of individual cruise policies and would cover you for your entire time away...leading up to the cruise (e.g. a pre-cruise tour) and after. Our policy covers everything a cruise line's would and more and for an entire year, not just a single cruise.

Edited by ECCruise

My friend needed medical services while on board EX last week. She was suffering from severe motion sickness and did not stop vomiting for 5 hours. She was given a shot at the infirmary, but was never billed. My husband said he read somewhere that infirmary services were complimentary. I suppose it would depend on the services.

Good to know about the cruise insurance- I know she purchased it. I will let her know in case a bill shows up in the future.

Never read or seen where infirmary services were included. However, I do believe they will dispense sea-sick meds, bandaids, Tylenol, aspirin, etc. for no charge.

I was injured on the Allure - it was definitely an accident - plain and simple. I trapped my hand in a balcony door. Infirmary service was wonderful. They x-rayed, gave pain meds, wrapped, etc. I was not charged. They told me that because it was an on-board accident I would not be billed. When I returned home I needed additional x-rays and physical therapy. My personal insurance covered and my RC cruise care took care of everything that my own insurance did not cover.

I am truly not sure how they define an "on board accident." Not sure how it would work for someone who, for example, fell if they had been drinking.

..She was given a shot at the infirmary, but was never billed. My husband said he read somewhere that infirmary services were complimentary. I suppose it would depend on the services.....

Sea sickness meds, including the shot your friend received, are not charged. Sorry she needed it - that's for severe nausea and vomiting. Yuk. :(

Never read or seen where infirmary services were included. However, I do believe they will dispense sea-sick meds, bandaids, Tylenol, aspirin, etc. for no charge.

I was injured on the Allure - it was definitely an accident - plain and simple. I trapped my hand in a balcony door. Infirmary service was wonderful. They x-rayed, gave pain meds, wrapped, etc. I was not charged. They told me that because it was an on-board accident I would not be billed. When I returned home I needed additional x-rays and physical therapy. My personal insurance covered and my RC cruise care took care of everything that my own insurance did not cover.

I am truly not sure how they define an "on board accident." Not sure how it would work for someone who, for example, fell if they had been drinking.

The bolded is possible. My DD cut her head during our cruise in June on FOS. It required stitches (3 subcutaneous and 7 "normal"). This was on night 1! We had three follow up exams. Didn't get charged a dime.

This is where Cruise insurance is shown to be warranted. Any charges that your insurance refuses are covered By Cruise Care. And you get reimbursed.

I dont know if thats a reason or not.Your medical ins policy should cover all costs if you need medical on the ship.Yes you may need to be persistant but thats the way it is ..If you are not then you will pay unnessacarely.You have medical ins for this reason and shouldnt have to buy another policy to cover that.Best thing to do is call your ins group beforhand and inquire on their policies.

I dont know if thats a reason or not.Your medical ins policy should cover all costs if you need medical on the ship.Yes you may need to be persistant but thats the way it is ..If you are not then you will pay unnessacarely.You have medical ins for this reason and shouldnt have to buy another policy to cover that.Best thing to do is call your ins group beforhand and inquire on their policies.

Most insurance carriers do not cover you outside of the USA. I know for a fact Medicare doesn't.

And getting trip insurance from an outside source is fine if you are 35. But take a look at the prices for an 87 year old woman?. Cruise Care only varies their price on what your fare is. Regardless of age. I got a total package insurance quote for My MIL 2 years ago. Because we were flying to La for a few days precruise (private air not Choice Air). Then flying to do an Alaskan cruise. They wanted over $600 for the insurance just for her. Total for my wife, myself and her. Was over $1,200. The whole package cost without insurance was less than $3,800. 25% for coverage was over the top. Especially when most of the time we were in the USA.

My wife is on a blood thinner that requires weekly blood test and analysis. Reported to the medical offices and without looking at our paperwork declared minimum $125 per visit. This was not correct. They later drew blood, analyzed and gave results while we waited. Charge was only $20, charged to the sea pass. Later got a letter in out stateroom confirming the charge.

Costs more if you need to see a doctor.

Most insurance carriers do not cover you outside of the USA. I know for a fact Medicare doesn't.

I've had privately purchased insurance from Anthem BCBS NH and employer-provided insurance from Anthem BCBS CA, Blue Cross MA, and Aetna, and all of them have provided coverage when traveling internationally as a tourist. I think Medicare is unusual in that regard. It never hurts to call and ask (especially to find out how to contact the insurance company to obtain authorization for care - my current insurance requires that you call them collect within 24 of the start of medical treatment or as soon as medically possible when out of the country). Being able to purchase trip insurance for that just covers medical evacuation and my health insurance deductible has saved me quite a bit.

Not sure where you found Medicare will not cover if outside the US. You can get reimbursed. You must submit the claim to Foreign Claims. Not an easy process and may be out some but not all the money. I believe Hemo-dialysis is not covered out of the country.

I work for a world renown hospital with insurance that has a deductible and cost shares up to a certain amount. I am responsible for that portion. The cruise care would take care of the out of pocket costs.

The good news for DH and myself is my insurance will air ambulance us to the nearest company hospital, paid for by the company. Definitely a great benefit.

Not sure where you found Medicare will not cover if outside the US. You can get reimbursed. You must submit the claim to Foreign Claims. Not an easy process and may be out some but not all the money. I believe Hemo-dialysis is not covered out of the country.

http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel-need-health-care-outside-us.html

There are very few cases where Medicare's coverage extends outside the US. On a cruise, once you're 6 hours from the port you're on your own.

Edited by ahecht

That is correct Medicare does not cover you outside of the US. I was speaking with a person on one of the cruises we were on and she stated that her insurance only covers them in the state which they reside. Our medical insurance covers us internationally but sometimes is a long drawn out process. I know the hospital in Domincan Republic does not accept your personal insurance but did accept the travel insurance up to our medical limit. Once they receive the letter authorizing the charges, they will only bill you for the charges over the maximum amount. We were required to put the remaining charges on our credit card before my husband was discharged.