Tour of Cunard ships in Southampton?

Officer Dibble

My wife and I, along with another 100 or so would-be cruisers, recently took advantage of a P&O offer to tour one of their ships while it was docked at Southampton. We boarded the ship after all the passengers had disembarked and were shown all round the main passenger areas of the ship, including all cabin types. Our tour ended with a 4 course lunch in one of their main dining rooms. For £25 a head, we found the experience very useful in helping us decide whether or not we wanted to cruise on the ship in question and with P&O generally.

Does anyone know if Cunard do anything similar while their ships are docked at Southampton? If so, is there a contact number?

Many thanks

OD

Last year I went to the Cruise Show in Birmingham (never again!) and spoke to the Cunard rep and was put on a list for such a visit. The letter arrived and I think it was going to cost £45 per person, plus my travel to Southampton, etc. I decided it was not worth it, seeing I've cruised on Cunard ships so often.

Last year I went to the Cruise Show in Birmingham (never again!) and spoke to the Cunard rep and was put on a list for such a visit. The letter arrived and I think it was going to cost £45 per person, plus my travel to Southampton, etc. I decided it was not worth it, seeing I've cruised on Cunard ships so often.

My thoughts are just the same, on both counts. One thing I cannot understand why one has to pay to go to Cruise/Holiday exhibition?:confused:

Yes, Cunard do exactly the same style of tour when their ships are in the port of Southampton. Telephone Carnival House (Southampton) on 0843 374 0000 (although this is the main booking line the agent will direct you to the correct department)

Good luck :)

It's a neat move by the cruise lines, charge £45 for what is basically a sales pitch to attract people to their cruises.

Estate agents could do the same, charge £25 for a viewing, or supermarkets charge a fiver to enter (special offer buy one get one free)

Hang on though, I've got a few Carnival shares, so maybe it's a pretty good deal after all.

David.

For your £45 you get the following:

A visit includes:

Complimentary parking in the cruise terminal

Complimentary tea and coffee in the terminal

Guided tour of ship's public area (*we endeavour to visit a number of staterooms however for operational reasons not all categories can be shown)

3 course of lunch with wine and coffee included

Exclusive offer for ship visitors (typically on board credit)

We last cruised with Cunard in 1991.

We had been very lucky in getting an invite to visit the QM2 on the 14th October 2011, the same day as we sailed on Eclipse. Having had a good meal at a local restaurant the night before, we skipped breakfast, packed the car and proceeded to the QE2 terminal. We had a very interesting tour of QM2, in a group of ten with a good guide, followed by an excellent leisurely lunch with wine. We knew it would be tight to get to Eclipse, and it was 2.20pm when we left the dining room and then had to get our passports back! We disembarked, fortunately the car was close, and drove to the City terminal, quickly unoaded our cases, parked the car, and checked in. We were one of the last to check in, we boarded (no photographers!), drank the 'welcome' drink, and went to our Aqua class cabin, where we arrived at 3.05pm! The difference between the two ships was a stark contrast, the traditional decor of the QM2 to the modern light decor of Eclipse.

Hoping to cruise on QE next autumn, just waiting to see how much a new house roof is going to cost!

For your £45 you get the following:

A visit includes:

Complimentary parking in the cruise terminal

Complimentary tea and coffee in the terminal

Guided tour of ship's public area (*we endeavour to visit a number of staterooms however for operational reasons not all categories can be shown)

3 course of lunch with wine and coffee included

Exclusive offer for ship visitors (typically on board credit)

Value is always in the eye of the beholder.

For some of those who have not yet experienced it, the opportunity to step aboard an iconic Cunard ship with a guided tour and lunch would be considered a special event and worth the charge. At the same time it provides Cunard with some added income and perhaps some new passengers.

How many times have we seen people on the shore who have made the trip for a glimpse of one the Queens arriving or departing? For some of them the opportunity to enjoy the ship in this fashion would indeed be an exciting opportunity.

My thoughts are just the same, on both counts. One thing I cannot understand why one has to pay to go to Cruise/Holiday exhibition?:confused:

Luckymal, the reason I went to the Cruise Show was that I had been offered free tickets! I arranged to meet a couple of friends there. Meeting up was worth the train fare and the travel time, but the show itself was not worth it. There were no special offers on cruises. The only 'deals' were to be entered into prize draws, and that means all of the companies are now sending me unwanted brochures. Stay away and save the trees, I say!

Edited by fantasy51

I seem to remember that the charge was refunded if you booked a cruise within a specified time.

We went to a cruise show in 2009, and booked a cruise on Celebrity for the following year. After we had booked it at the show, we were offered a free night on Equinox, all on board expenses paid! Nearly as good as the cruise we won on QE2 in 1991!