World Cruises?

aggiejeff

Does anyone see Celebrity (or RCL) ever doing a world cruise concept? We love RCL and my wife and I are going to start cruising on Celebrity soon. We are a few (5 to 10) years from retirement and would like to do a world cruise right of the bat in retirement. We are Diamond on RCL and are just really familiar and like with what you get from this company.

In the near term I would say there is no chance of Celebrity doing a world cruise.

X's bigger-ship emphasis and target demographic (young and hip) pretty much precludes such an itinerary as it is much harder to fill a ship for the entire journey, especially those of that age group.

The opportunity for such a test was with the Century, but she is leaving the fleet next year.

Although it would be great, I can't see Celebrity doing this. Some of the best parts of a world cruise is going to exotic ports, and large ships just can't do a lot of those. And unless a full world cruise is divided into segments, I can't see 2800 or so people booking such an expensive full world cruise. Even some of the luxury lines that do full world cruises, some with ships under 1000 passengers, are lucky to have a couple hundred who book the full world cruise, most at over 100 days long. But if they had two to three week segments available, then you'd see more interest. But with Celebrity having so few ships, and with them dedicating so much of their resources to having their ships outside the US, I don't think we'll ever see a Celebrity world cruise.

Although it would be great, I can't see Celebrity doing this. Some of the best parts of a world cruise is going to exotic ports, and large ships just can't do a lot of those. And unless a full world cruise is divided into segments, I can't see 2800 or so people booking such an expensive full world cruise. Even some of the luxury lines that do full world cruises, some with ships under 1000 passengers, are lucky to have a couple hundred who book the full world cruise, most at over 100 days long. But if they had two to three week segments available, then you'd see more interest. But with Celebrity having so few ships, and with them dedicating so much of their resources to having their ships outside the US, I don't think we'll ever see a Celebrity world cruise.

You don't need small ships. Check Cunard, they have big ships with 2000+ passengers that do world cruises. And they only have 3 ships. And yes they do segments.

X's bigger-ship emphasis and target demographic (young and hip) pretty much precludes

IMHO, their demographics are certainly not "young and hip". More geriatric with available, spendable income.

Maybe that's their problem: a confused demographic. Their marketing, website and cruise experience is not conducive to the younger experience.

Just my 2 cents, Randy

You can always do your own! When we complete our 2015 Transpacific, we will have complete our "round the world in 84 days [at sea]". OK, it will have taken just over six years but you could do it more quickly. Ours will have been on a mix of Celebrity and Azamara but the Azamara legs have/are available on Celebrity ships.

It would be nice if celebrity did this, as enjoy the ship and the food. I am looking into Azamara, as they offer some different ports, but not sure due to small ship size. i am only looking to cruise for 2 weeks, but am checking out different ports of weither europe or Asia.

IMHO, their demographics are certainly not "young and hip". More geriatric with available, spendable income.

Maybe that's their problem: a confused demographic. Their marketing, website and cruise experience is not conducive to the younger experience.

Just my 2 cents, Randy

It seems that in reality X is in fact changing their demographic towards the younger hip vibe.

-Frozen White Party

-Scratch DJ academy on ships

-Indulgence party

-Conversion of cellar masters away from wine bar to pub concept

-The nightclub party in the aqua pool area

-More DJ style entertainment on ships and public spaces than live bands

-Louder music in martini bar

It feels like the change in demo has been happening for a year or so.....

Sure some cruses skew older, others younger, but it seems there is an ongoing effort to pull in a younger, less geriatric (to use your word) market.