snorkel: Nassau, St Thomas, or St Maartain?

River Coven

I haven't snorkeled in Nassau but I haven't heard of any world class snorkeling there either - maybe someone else will chime in on this (if there is I'd love to hear about it as we're always looking for good snorkel spots). IMO St. Maarten does not have great snorkeling. St. John is the best of your options I think.

If you don't want to take the ferry to St. John then Coki beach on St. Thomas is a good alternative.

I see you are on Oasis - I heard they have an excursion to St. John where you can just buy the transport to St. John. Given the docking location of Oasis I think this is your best option when going to St. John. There was a review of this on here a few weeks ago. Maybe search that one out.

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Snorkel with Stuart Cove at Nassau. Marvelous snorkeling.

http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/snorkelhome.aspx

The boat trip is @ three hours, and visits Schoolhouse Reef, the spectacular Golden Key Reef and finally a “swim with the sharks” at ‘The Wreck of the Bahama Mama’. I have never before witnessed such a number and variety of fish as at Golden Key. There are never-ending fish, large and small, singly and in large schools. The floor is decorated with huge, magnificent coral formations of all shapes and sizes. While there, a shark cruised past our group. He obviously thought this was his ocean and didn’t know, nor care, that we weren’t scheduled for a shark encounter until after Golden Key. Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The crew drops a bait bucket on the bottom, about fifteen to twenty feet deep. We float above them, watching the sharks feed. Best of all is when we return to the boat. A crew member baits the end of a metal pole holding it in the air over the aft end. The sharks leap up to grab the treat. It's amazing how graceful they are. The sharks, not the crew members.

This is a five star, gold medallion trip!

Edited by Stevesan

Out of the 3, I would personally pick St Thomas. I loved snorkeling at Coki beach or Sapphire beach. They have some awesome snorkeling right off the beach area.

Check out my reviews in my signature link to those. They have TONS of pictures that will show you the beaches and the snorkeling. :)

I've only been in Nassau, but I want to add another vote for Stuart coves. Truly a world class operation. When we made the shark stop there were approximately 25 sharks, and it was amazing. Once in a lifetime experience. The other stops were ok, one nice reef then a sunken airplane used in one of the jaws films that didn't have too much to offer unfortunately.

st. thomas.. either the excursion to st. John, Trunk Bay or an excursion to Buck Island... Coki Beach off the beach is good also if you don't want to do an excursion just take the shuttle to Coki in St. T homas

• 1 month later...

Of the three I would do Nassau - w/ Stuart Cove again.

St. Thomas in the center of Port Charlotte (along the wharf) is the Ferry that everyone uses (even the excursions) do you want to pay $60.00 through the ship or $5.00 each way on your own to St. Johns? Plenty of cabs around or rent a vehicle in advance - I've done both - Your call. Half of the Island of St. John's is a U. S. National Park and there is plenty to do and see. Also, the ferry schedule is well marked and on time.

St. Maarten - every time that I book a dive there it gets canceled due to rain. Always end up at Orient Beach - catch the vans outside of the compound $8.00each way for 2 - best snorkeling is to - the right side of the beach facing the ocean (The nude side). :) Dana

• 4 weeks later...
Snorkel with Stuart Cove at Nassau. Marvelous snorkeling.

http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/snorkelhome.aspx

The boat trip is @ three hours, and visits Schoolhouse Reef, the spectacular Golden Key Reef and finally a “swim with the sharks” at ‘The Wreck of the Bahama Mama’. I have never before witnessed such a number and variety of fish as at Golden Key. There are never-ending fish, large and small, singly and in large schools. The floor is decorated with huge, magnificent coral formations of all shapes and sizes. While there, a shark cruised past our group. He obviously thought this was his ocean and didn’t know, nor care, that we weren’t scheduled for a shark encounter until after Golden Key. Surprisingly, getting in with a dozen or so sharks is not frightening. I suspect we were too caught up with their grace and magnificence to be scared. The crew drops a bait bucket on the bottom, about fifteen to twenty feet deep. We float above them, watching the sharks feed. Best of all is when we return to the boat. A crew member baits the end of a metal pole holding it in the air over the aft end. The sharks leap up to grab the treat. It's amazing how graceful they are. The sharks, not the crew members.

This is a five star, gold medallion trip!

My experience this past week was a bit different. The first 2 reefs we went to were really too deep to see the small, prettier, tropical fish, water depths were about 25 feet so only by free diving could you truly enjoy them. The coral was nice and in good shape compared to many reefs which have been bleached out by warmer water or broken by storms. We waited for quite some time at the dock before leaving that morning, and wound up getting 5 or 6 SNUBA folks boarding our boat. At each of the first 2 stops, the snorkelers were all back in the boat at the appointed time, but we waited about 5-10 more minutes at each for the SNUBA folk to reboard. Then the SNUBA gear had to be retrieved and stowed. So when we finally got to the 3rd stop to see the sharks, we literally had time for everyone to get in the water and they immediately started getting us back on the boat. Thankfully I was the 2nd one in the water so I had more time than most to watch these beautiful creatures. We were not treated to anything like them putting a bait fish on a rod and holding it over the water, we did have maybe 3 minutes of the bait box being near the surface. I am convinced that the SNUBA folks didn't have enough for their own excursion and their inclusion on our excursion kept us from getting the normal allotted time with the shark excursion or the shallower reefs. It didn't ruin my trip as the snorkeling with the sharks is the main reason I came, but it certainly left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth for this company.