Thinking of a crossing from New York to Southampton August 2016

kikki21

Hi

Can someone tell me what they do about transfers if you do a flight to NYC then the cruise back to Southampton?

I can't work out how we get back to the car if parked at Gatwick? It seems like extra journey home time....

You can get a train from Southampton to Gatwick via Brighton. Cunard may also offer a bus transfer but this is usually for people flying out, I don't see why you couldn't take it anyway. Can you not get a cab to the airport rather than drive as that would save the need for going there twice although you then have to get home from Southampton.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi

Can someone tell me what they do about transfers if you do a flight to NYC then the cruise back to Southampton?

I can't work out how we get back to the car if parked at Gatwick? It seems like extra journey home time....

Southern runs direct trains from Southampton to Gatwick except Sundays. They leave 13 minutes past each hour, although there can be exceptions and on some Saturdays there may be no direct trains. I have used the service a few times, but these are basically commuter trains with little or no luggage space except on empty seats. It has worked out for us but if the train fills up there will be a problem.

Much as I prefer trains to coaches, we usually use Cunard's coach transfer to Gatwick. If you take that, book it in advance of your crossing because it usually costs double if booked on-board. We do not fly out of Gatwick the same day (if flying at all) and sometimes Cunard will ask what your flight number and time is but sometimes they don't. When they have insisted on flight information we just put down some airline and flight number chosen at random for late afternoon. I suspect the reason they want this information is to make sure you don't have a tight connection.

We have never had more than 20 passengers on the coach. One time there were only four taking the transfer, so Cunard hired a van. The driver kindly took us to the door of our Gatwick hotel rather than the airport drop-off area.

Edited by david,Mississauga
forgot something.

Fly during the day and sail back. 23 hour days are one thing but that overnight makes for a 19 hour day when you think of it.

Totally agree with this philosophy and would add that if you start in UK you can purchase a lot of heavy items in USA without worry of being below any weight allowance as there are none sailing home!

Regards John