Nassau, excursions and Goombay Punch

Greetings all! I will be going on my first cruise in September, a four-nighter on the Sovereign.

First thing I must know - Where in Nassau can I get my hands on some Goombay Punch? My family took two vacations to Paradise Island when I was a kid, and my brother and I drank mass quantities of this stuff. I haven't been there since. My brother was, and said it was hard to find. If I do find it, how much can I bring back on the ship and to the states?

My gf and I are considering doing one excursion while in Nassau. I'd like to hear opinions on the following, and which might be most worth the time and money:

= Nassau and Paradise Island Tour

= Ghosts of Nassau Walking Tour

= Yellowbird Tour

= Nassau Sightseeing and Ardastra Gardens

= Glass Bottom Boat Tour

Any others that are recommended?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Can't help you much with excursions- when we were there in January we just did a self-walking tour that we found at frommers.com. We had no interest in going to Atlantis, but I must admit we weren't that enthralled with Nassau....

stocked up with rum cakes at the Bahamas Rum Cake Factory

http://www.bahamasvacationguide.com/rumcake_factory/

We had a Goombay Smash with our lunch at Conch Fritters but that has a lot of alcohol in it so I'm guessing that's not what you are talking about:confused: but I did a search on the internet and if it is a canned pop (does it look like this? http://www.bahamassouvenirs.com/drinks.html, you might be able to find it at a grocery store....

Hope this helps,

We spent 5 nights at Sandals in Nassau last summer. The only day we ventured off the property, we took the local bus the Ardastra Zoo & Gardens. The highlights of the zoo include a marching flamingo show and an aviary, where guests can feed the birds. It takes no more than a couple of hours to see the whole place. It's inexpensive and a quiet retreat from the crowds. We did visit the Straw market but, as others have said, it was a waste of time.

We just came home from a four night cruise on The Sovereign of The Sea. I Can't help you with the punch,but we did take the tour of Nassau and it was ok. We travel alot so we may be a bit jaded, but for the price it was well,ok. I have done the Yellowbird tour(BOOZE CRUISE) and had alot of fun. The only difference between the Nassau tour and the tour that includes the gardens is that they drop the stop at Atlantis and add the gardens. If I was going back tomorrow I would take the Yellowbird ,The see and sail or the Powerboat ride. We didn't do any of the above because the weather was soo bad because of the TS

BriGuy .... If you haven't already, do take a few minutes and go to the Ports of Call section of this board and check under Bahamas. Lots of info from other cruisers there. Be sure to also read some of the older threads -- :rolleyes: things don't change much from year to year ............

The YELLOWBIRD is lots of FUN! :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

My husband and I cruised to Nassau 3 years ago on Sovereign, and we're going again in 3 weeks. Last cruise we did the Thriller Power Boat, which was awesome, and on Coco Cay we did the Wave runners, which was also great.

This time we're just going to do the Yellowbird Tour, which sounds like it will be pretty cool.;)

To answer your most important question - probably at a grocery or convenience store. When we first took our kids to Nassau, they also existed on Goombay Punch. I may have also seen it near the Straw Market, but I'm not sure

We're also going to Nassau on our next cruise. After reading all the advice on the Bahamas threads under "Ports of Call" we've decided to go to the Atlantis on our own, go see the Digs and then have some shopping time. We only have a total of 6 hours. However, I was also looking at the the "Seaworld Underwater Explorer" and that looks like it would be fun, if we had more time.

We were in Nassau on our first cruise a long time ago and did the Glass Bottom Boat tour. It was a nice harbor cruise, but as far as the "Glass Bottom" part went it was really disappointing. The view area was small for the number of people trying to see and the water was murkey. All we saw was some brown seaweed and dull fish. :( We ended up going up on the top deck and feeding the seagulls. That was more fun! :) If you want to see underwater, checkout the Seaworld Explorer. It has much better reviews! :D

Archived