Island Tram Tours

jwbausch

All I can say is I try to book through an "outside" agent, etc., instead of the ship, as the ship is normally higher on any tours they have.

We like to take a native that drives around to see the area.

I was there the last week of January on the Sunshine which docked at noon with one other boat coming in right after us. We approached the stand as outlined in this thread. They said they were fully booked by the second cruise ship, but they had a spare driver. Four of us who happened to be standing there paid $20 per person and got a more private tour, we didn't hit the down town, but did a little shopping and saw the light house. It was nice to be a small group, the driver was great, discussed life on the island, pointed out various things we saw. Less than 90 minutes, and plenty of beach time to spare.

OK, I "tried" to read all these posts.:confused:

I want to see GT island, but try to save some money too.:)

I definately want to see the lighthouse. So if I take the "Grand Turk Express" for $19.00, they will take me by there, right? It will also go by the National Museum, right?

I know with the Island Tram tour for $25.00 or more, they will take you to a beach, but it sounds like the Grand Turk Express will be fine for us, hopefully.

OK, here I am again. :(

So for those of you who posted here, would you recommend The Grand Turk Express, instead of the Island Tram Tours???? My friend wants me to get all the info I can on these tours, to decide which is the best.:confused:

I understand it is hop on/off. Do they stop at each site about 10-15 minutes, and a person can either stay or get off?

A beach was mentioned? Can we stay at the beach, and they, or another shuttle will pick us up? What is the name of the beach? Is it free? I just want to make sure if we stay at the beach, there will be someone to pick us up an "hour" before the ship leaves.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, it looks like the Grand Turk Express is what we will be looking for in April, once we get off the ship.:) I have a few questions.

One of the stops I understand is Governor's Beach? Is that a free beach, or do we need to pay there? Is there any restroom facilities, etc.?

How will we know when we have made the "last stop" on this express?

Those of you who did the GTE, you did say at "all of these stops," they bus/tram comes by every 30 minutes to pick us up, if we would want to stay at a sight for a little while longer, right?

Those of you who did the GTE, you did say at "all of these stops," they bus/tram comes by every 30 minutes to pick us up, if we would want to stay at a sight for a little while longer, right?

That was not the case when we used Grand Turk Express on Thursday, Feb. 26.

We waited an hour and 15 min. at a stop, and a bus/tram never came, so we walked back to the previous stop. People there had been waiting over 45 min. About 20 min. later, a vehicle finally showed up. They said they were having electrical problems, so no a/c and no microphone to tell us where we were or what we were seeing. We were glad we had walked back, as the driver decided not to continue the route, but to drive to the lighthouse. When we got there, I told them that there were at least 8 other people waiting at the stop we had walked from.

Based on our experience, I would recommend Island Tram over Grand Turk Express. While we were waiting, I talked to Doug from Island Tram at one of the stops. He was very friendly. Something can be said for their waiting at the stop for you rather than a hop on hop off if your transportation doesn't arrive. :(

Scsagh, so you say that you waited a long time, and the Grand Turk Express did not come back and pick you up, because they had problems, right? So if I understood you right, you said you "walked" to the other stop. How did you know where the other stop was, or was it the stop before the one you got off? I wouldn't want to have to back track for "miles" just to get a ride.

Scsagh, so you say that you waited a long time, and the Grand Turk Express did not come back and pick you up, because they had problems, right? So if I understood you right, you said you "walked" to the other stop. How did you know where the other stop was, or was it the stop before the one you got off? I wouldn't want to have to back track for "miles" just to get a ride.

Yes, there are two stops a few blocks apart. The first is near where shops first start, and the second is across from the museum. We were waiting at the museum stop, and walked back the few blocks to the other one.

• 2 months later...

I don't have time to read all the postings, and I'm sure you have an answer by now.:)

We just got back last month from there.

We got a tour for around $20, and there were 4 stops. If you want to get off at the stop (I did at one of the places, as I wanted to see about bargaining with the people), you can, and 30 minutes later, there will be another tour bus to pick you up, and finish your tour.