jwbausch

Island Tram Tours

Has anyone done the Island Tram Tours trip recently? Is it truly a Hop on Hop off bus? We have contacted the company directly & asked this question but still haven't gotten a straight answer. Can you actually get off the tram at any of the stops (lighthouse, beach, etc.) & stay as long as you want & then catch the next bus? Our intention is to get off at the lighthouse, explore, take make pictures, then hop back on the next bus that comes after we are done. Then go to one of the beaches along the route, picnic, snorkel, swim, etc. for a couple hours before catching the next bus that comes along at that point & head back to the cruise terminal. Is this possible on this tour?

Has anyone done the Island Tram Tours trip recently? Is it truly a Hop on Hop off bus? We have contacted the company directly & asked this question but still haven't gotten a straight answer. Can you actually get off the tram at any of the stops (lighthouse, beach, etc.) & stay as long as you want & then catch the next bus? Our intention is to get off at the lighthouse, explore, take make pictures, then hop back on the next bus that comes after we are done. Then go to one of the beaches along the route, picnic, snorkel, swim, etc. for a couple hours before catching the next bus that comes along at that point & head back to the cruise terminal. Is this possible on this tour?

I'd be interested to know this too JW, but it doesn't seem like there is anyone interested in responding. Have you asked the question in your particular Roll Call? We are traveling there at the end of January (2015) on the Holland America Line Nieuw Amsterdam.

JW, I found some reviews of the tram on another site. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147396-d3294712-Reviews-Island_Trams_Limited-Grand_Turk_Turks_and_Caicos.html (I hope this is allowed and I am not breaking any rules - if I am, I shall soon know about it I suppose). It doesn't sound to me like it is a hop-on-hop-off (and we have been on a lot of those - London, Paris, Barcelona, Washington, DC). I think the island is just too small. I read elsewhere that there are golf carts available and that my be the way to go.

JW, I found some reviews of the tram on another site. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147396-d3294712-Reviews-Island_Trams_Limited-Grand_Turk_Turks_and_Caicos.html (I hope this is allowed and I am not breaking any rules - if I am, I shall soon know about it I suppose). It doesn't sound to me like it is a hop-on-hop-off (and we have been on a lot of those - London, Paris, Barcelona, Washington, DC). I think the island is just too small. I read elsewhere that there are golf carts available and that my be the way to go.

We had golf carts. The island tram tour that was just outside the gates was at a couple of stops when we were. It did not appear to be hop on hop off as the driver was waiting for the people , however, I can not be sure.

Golf cart rental from Karib Auto Rental. FB page karibarental

Email. Karibarental rental at g mail

OK, after I didn't get any responses to my post before our cruise, we went to Grand Turk last week & searched around for the now infamous Island Tram Tours. We were directed to the pier beach by the tourist information desk to a lady with a yellow umbrella. She didn't get there for a while after we did and told us the tram cost was $25. She called over the driver/guide to give us details. He said that because it is slow season, they were probably only going to run one tram & they would give everyone some time at each stop to look around. The last stop was going to be Governor's Beach. If you wanted to stay at the beach for awhile, you would have to find your way back by taxi (at your own expense) or walk. That didn't sound very appealing to us. We checked with the Grand Turk Express tour booth & they described what sounded to us like a true Hop On Hop Off Bus that made four stops (downtown Cockburn, the lighthouse, Salt Museum & Governor's Beach) with another bus coming every 30 minutes for $19. We took it, and it was just what we were hoping it would be. By the time we made it to the Salt Museum, it was closed. But otherwise, we were pleased.

OK, after I didn't get any responses to my post before our cruise, we went to Grand Turk last week & searched around for the now infamous Island Tram Tours. We were directed to the pier beach by the tourist information desk to a lady with a yellow umbrella. She didn't get there for a while after we did and told us the tram cost was $25. She called over the driver/guide to give us details. He said that because it is slow season, they were probably only going to run one tram & they would give everyone some time at each stop to look around. The last stop was going to be Governor's Beach. If you wanted to stay at the beach for awhile, you would have to find your way back by taxi (at your own expense) or walk. That didn't sound very appealing to us. We checked with the Grand Turk Express tour booth & they described what sounded to us like a true Hop On Hop Off Bus that made four stops (downtown Cockburn, the lighthouse, Salt Museum & Governor's Beach) with another bus coming every 30 minutes for $19. We took it, and it was just what we were hoping it would be. By the time we made it to the Salt Museum, it was closed. But otherwise, we were pleased.

This is good info JW. I'm glad you were motivated to post, post-cruise.

Thanks,

This is good info JW. I'm glad you were motivated to post, post-cruise.

Thanks,

You're welcome. It actually made two stops in town, only a couple hundred yards apart. I would suggest getting off at the second stop (to save time) & back tracking a little to the history museum. It has some interesting Columbus era shipwreck artifacts & a very enthusiastic & informative hostess. Its an extra $5 pp, but if you've got enough time in port, its worth it.

We did this tour last December. It was nice. The drivers explain history of island and some neat info about things as you pass them. They stay 10 minutes or so at each stop, and if you'd like to stay longer there really is another van every 30 minutes or so. The Lighthouse area is gorgeous!

Thanks JW, I've also spent some time trying to get a grip on this one. I've made a note of the 'Grand Turk Express Booth' to look for. I assume they are completely seperate to the Island Trams people?

Many thanks

Keith (Southend, UK)

Thanks JW, I've also spent some time trying to get a grip on this one. I've made a note of the 'Grand Turk Express Booth' to look for. I assume they are completely seperate to the Island Trams people?

Many thanks

Keith (Southend, UK)

Yes, they are separate. The GT Express will actually take your keycard info and bill your tour to the ship. No cash necessary, or at least they did 2 years ago.

About a year or so ago we had reservations with Island Tram Tours and they never showed up. Spent the time looking for representative and even the local police tried to help. Finally someone said they weren't there because the transmission on tram was broken. However, no one ever emailed me to let me know even though we had reservations. Never again!

Marking this to come back to. Think we might try the hop on hop off January 29, we'll be there noon til six though. Any one know the duration if you stay on the same van all the way or when the last run is?

Marking this to come back to. Think we might try the hop on hop off January 29, we'll be there noon til six though. Any one know the duration if you stay on the same van all the way or when the last run is?

The day we were there, we were the only ship in port. We arrived at 11 & I believe the first GT Express bus pulled out around 11:30. I would guess if you stayed on the bus straight through without getting off, it would probably only take about an hour and 15 minutes or so. The last tour bus was leaving Governor's Beach at 4 (although you could catch a straight shuttle later). So, I would guess the last tour bus would depart the terminal area somewhere between 2:30 & 2:45. Don't know for sure though, because we left on our tour at noon & stopped everywhere except the salt museum & came back on the Governor's Beach shuttle around 4:30. Now, our port times were 11 to 5, so you can probably add an hour onto our times for your cruise.

We did the Grand Turk Express last week. It is $19.00 p/p, billed to your ship account. We actually stayed on the first bus for an entire 'round', takes about an hour, then we went back out and made a few stops. There is a bus every 30 minutes (give or take) and they said the last one is an hour before the ship leaves. The driver was very knowledgeable about the island, made for a great tour (our first time to be on this island).

Hi we go in March where do you pick up the Tram Tour for 19.00? Is it just outside of the cruise terminal? And they just use your ship and sail card? That would be great.

The lighthouse was mentioned on here in Grand Turk. I love lighthouses. Can we walk to it, or do we need to take a Taxi or tour guide? Can I go inside, or just see it from the outside?

The lighthouse was mentioned on here in Grand Turk. I love lighthouses. Can we walk to it, or do we need to take a Taxi or tour guide? Can I go inside, or just see it from the outside?

It's on the other side of the island from the cruise port, so you can't really walk to it. I'd probably suggest the tram tour, you may as well get all the information about the island while you drive to it! The whole tour probably takes an hour if you stay on the same van the whole time.

When I visited in 2012 you couldn't go inside, I was there again 2 months ago, but we only saw it from the helicopter, so I'm not sure if things have changed or not.

543792_555803344448443_1144765284_n.jpg?oh=6fb101dd1beed4ef6d36277ea261f016&oe=5566C447&__gda__=1431365088_03067e393dc18b4ff920c495bdbcf24c

Love the picture of the light house. So if we take the Island Tram tour, it should take us to the lighthouse? Can we get this tour, once we are off the ship without having to book it ahead of time?

We did the Grand Turk Express last week. It is $19.00 p/p, billed to your ship account. We actually stayed on the first bus for an entire 'round', takes about an hour, then we went back out and made a few stops. There is a bus every 30 minutes (give or take) and they said the last one is an hour before the ship leaves. The driver was very knowledgeable about the island, made for a great tour (our first time to be on this island).

Which cruise line were you sailing that charged $19? On my list of excursions, this sounds like what Carnival has listed as "The Grand Turk Experience" that they are charging $39.99 for. Does anyone know if they are hopefully two different things?

Love the picture of the light house. So if we take the Island Tram tour, it should take us to the lighthouse? Can we get this tour, once we are off the ship without having to book it ahead of time?

In the cruise port area there is a Grand Turk Express booth (not the same as the Island Tram tour)- we paid $19 a person and we boarded a van that toured the island. They also used our room key and billed the tour to our onboard account.

It drives you through Cockburn town, stops at a museum, the lighthouse, drives by the old military base and hospital, the salt mines, and a beach then brings you back to the port. The vans run on a 30 minute loop and stay at each stop around 15 minutes, so if you want to stay longer at the lighthouse you can catch the next van to continue on the tour.

Which cruise line were you sailing that charged $19? On my list of excursions, this sounds like what Carnival has listed as "The Grand Turk Experience" that they are charging $39.99 for. Does anyone know if they are hopefully two different things?

It wasn't booked through the cruise line, there is a booth in the port area. (or at least the last time I was there it worked that way)

We visited both times on a Carnival ship, the tour booth did charge it to our onboard account though, so they must have some affiliation with them I suppose.

All I can say is I try to book through an "outside" agent, etc., instead of the ship, as the ship is normally higher on any tours they have.

We like to take a native that drives around to see the area.

There were many options at the port last week. Much cheaper than the cruise lines. You pay more from the cruise lines for the same tour we got.

All I can say is I try to book through an "outside" agent, etc., instead of the ship, as the ship is normally higher on any tours they have.

We like to take a native that drives around to see the area.

I was there the last week of January on the Sunshine which docked at noon with one other boat coming in right after us. We approached the stand as outlined in this thread. They said they were fully booked by the second cruise ship, but they had a spare driver. Four of us who happened to be standing there paid $20 per person and got a more private tour, we didn't hit the down town, but did a little shopping and saw the light house. It was nice to be a small group, the driver was great, discussed life on the island, pointed out various things we saw. Less than 90 minutes, and plenty of beach time to spare.

OK, I "tried" to read all these posts.:confused:

I want to see GT island, but try to save some money too.:)

I definately want to see the lighthouse. So if I take the "Grand Turk Express" for $19.00, they will take me by there, right? It will also go by the National Museum, right?

I know with the Island Tram tour for $25.00 or more, they will take you to a beach, but it sounds like the Grand Turk Express will be fine for us, hopefully.

OK, here I am again. :(

So for those of you who posted here, would you recommend The Grand Turk Express, instead of the Island Tram Tours???? My friend wants me to get all the info I can on these tours, to decide which is the best.:confused:

I understand it is hop on/off. Do they stop at each site about 10-15 minutes, and a person can either stay or get off?

A beach was mentioned? Can we stay at the beach, and they, or another shuttle will pick us up? What is the name of the beach? Is it free? I just want to make sure if we stay at the beach, there will be someone to pick us up an "hour" before the ship leaves.

OK, it looks like the Grand Turk Express is what we will be looking for in April, once we get off the ship.:) I have a few questions.

One of the stops I understand is Governor's Beach? Is that a free beach, or do we need to pay there? Is there any restroom facilities, etc.?

How will we know when we have made the "last stop" on this express?

Those of you who did the GTE, you did say at "all of these stops," they bus/tram comes by every 30 minutes to pick us up, if we would want to stay at a sight for a little while longer, right?

Those of you who did the GTE, you did say at "all of these stops," they bus/tram comes by every 30 minutes to pick us up, if we would want to stay at a sight for a little while longer, right?

That was not the case when we used Grand Turk Express on Thursday, Feb. 26.

We waited an hour and 15 min. at a stop, and a bus/tram never came, so we walked back to the previous stop. People there had been waiting over 45 min. About 20 min. later, a vehicle finally showed up. They said they were having electrical problems, so no a/c and no microphone to tell us where we were or what we were seeing. We were glad we had walked back, as the driver decided not to continue the route, but to drive to the lighthouse. When we got there, I told them that there were at least 8 other people waiting at the stop we had walked from.

Based on our experience, I would recommend Island Tram over Grand Turk Express. While we were waiting, I talked to Doug from Island Tram at one of the stops. He was very friendly. Something can be said for their waiting at the stop for you rather than a hop on hop off if your transportation doesn't arrive. :(

Scsagh, so you say that you waited a long time, and the Grand Turk Express did not come back and pick you up, because they had problems, right? So if I understood you right, you said you "walked" to the other stop. How did you know where the other stop was, or was it the stop before the one you got off? I wouldn't want to have to back track for "miles" just to get a ride.

Scsagh, so you say that you waited a long time, and the Grand Turk Express did not come back and pick you up, because they had problems, right? So if I understood you right, you said you "walked" to the other stop. How did you know where the other stop was, or was it the stop before the one you got off? I wouldn't want to have to back track for "miles" just to get a ride.

Yes, there are two stops a few blocks apart. The first is near where shops first start, and the second is across from the museum. We were waiting at the museum stop, and walked back the few blocks to the other one.

Thanks for letting me know the stops are not too far to walk. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but my friend would.

I don't have time to read all the postings, and I'm sure you have an answer by now.:)

We just got back last month from there.

We got a tour for around $20, and there were 4 stops. If you want to get off at the stop (I did at one of the places, as I wanted to see about bargaining with the people), you can, and 30 minutes later, there will be another tour bus to pick you up, and finish your tour.