Poor / few excursions Pacific Princess?

lallarebecca

Hello!

I´m booked on a South Pacific cruise (Pacific princess) on Nov. 18, 2014.

I´ve been trying to research the excursions offered by Princess, but they are very few/poor.

Does anyone know if Princess usually adds more excursions later on or during the cruise, than the ones offered online and in the Cruise Personalizer?

We really wish to do some excursions and they seem to be sold out quickly so in case they will not add more I figure we should book ahead before we go.

What would you advice me to do?

Best regards,

Rebecca

Some of the South Pacific ports do not have much tourist infrastructure, and there may not be a lot of tours. Sometimes many of them are sold out before you board. Even if they don't sell out, the prices may go up.

If you want to take ship cruises, it's definitely a good idea to book them as far in advance as possible. You can always cancel onboard (before the cancellation deadline) if you find something better.

In Moorea, I recommend Franckyfranck, who does 4 hour snorkeling or 4 wheel drive tours. He will let you pay him in French champagne at advantageous rates as the price of alcohol in French Polynesia is obscene (cheapest bottle of wine maybe $15).

After I debarked the Pacific Princess in Tahiti last month, I stayed on the island and the ship was still there a day or so later, with a fresh bunch of passengers. There were people in front of the ship selling tours for Moorea or Bora Bora, you put down a $20 deposit and paid the rest on the day. Can't vouch for quality.

Edited by Wehwalt

If you get lucky someone MAY cancel a tour at the last moment, but there is often a wait list for many of the excursions on these itineraries. If not you are probably out of luck as far as booking anything in advance and will have to hope you can pick up a taxi tour the port.

On the S Pacific islands, a number of which are pretty small and not a large population, there are often limited numbers of people who provide tours, and the cruiselines utilize them, so not much is left over for privately arranged tours.

Generally speaking, one must book Princess excursions as soon as they become available in the personalizer. Even private tours need to be booked way early. Both times we did that itinerary, the really good private tours were booked well over a year in advance.

I hope you are participating in your roll call. You may be able to pick up some recommendations there for things to do.

On Moorea we have done ATV ride one trip and jetski another with DammonATV. He is very safety conscious and we had a wonderful time on each excursion. We did Princesses beach motu snorkle one and it was OK, but they act like their excursions are the only things to do on the island. And they are so not.

On Bora bora we have gone out with Maohi Nui three times on their 3/4 day snorkle/motu picnic and loved it each time. Patrick and Rapa are awesome. Truly a day in paradise. We have also done their 1/2 day 4WD excursion. Would do them again in a heart beat.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just got off of the Pacific Princess. Most of the excursions sold out. Many before the cruise started. There were some excursions available at the dock. Not much different then the Princess excursions. Bora Bora, and Moorea had good availability at the pier. Good 4 hour snorkeling tour available on the pier at Bora Bora for $80 per person that hits all of the same snorkeling spots that Patrick does. Some ports did not have much available at the dock.

Prices were higher on board then pre-booking.

Edited by RDC1

One of the CC members has a blog which I've pasted the link below (I hope it works).

She and her husband are on the Pacific Princess now and she writes in wonderful detail about the ship, the islands and their experiences with tours.

I don't know if it will sufficiently answer your question, but it may help to know what to expect.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.ca/search?updated-min=2014-10-01T00:00:00-10:00&updated-max=2014-11-01T00:00:00-10:00&max-results=27