Pre-Booking Shared Prime 7 Reservations or Waiting Until On Board for Table for Two?

TahoeTraveler

We board the Navigator on 13 Nov, and do not have Prime 7 reservations yet. We actually had them with some friends, but they changed the time to one that was too late for us, so now we're facing a situation where no 2 tops are available on any of the nights (it's our 25th anniversary cruise, and we'd prefer not to share a table with people we don't know). Is it difficult to get a reservation once on board? I called Regent, and they suggested going ahead and reserving a shared table on the night we want and the time, and then just asking to see if it can be changed to a table for 2. I was just wondering what the general success rate is in getting what you want (or at least, as close to it as possible) if you wait until you board the ship. And then, how do we go about getting the reservations? Wait in line at 6:00pm sharp on the first night to talk to the maitre d? We do have a butler on this cruise, but have found that it can be hit or miss as to how well they can help you, so not sure if we should work this one ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me. Given that our original Prime 7 reservations were made as soon as our window opened up, this is definitely not a situation I expected to find myself in.

They actually changed the date on us - thankfully, we aren't celebrating an anniversary. Congratulations on your milestone.

Cheers

Di

Wow, you had dinner reservations and they just changed the date? Did they at least notify you of the change? And are you on the same cruise, or did this happen with a different one?

Wow, you had dinner reservations and they just changed the date? Did they at least notify you of the change? And are you on the same cruise, or did this happen with a different one?

No, we are on the Mariner in December/January and I booked a table for us and our two friends on Boxing Night - they sent an email via our TA to say it has been changed to the night of the 23rd. I will follow it up once we get on board.

I have also booked for New Year's night for the four of us so they better not change that or they will be contacted Pre-cruise.

Cheers

Di

No, we are on the Mariner in December/January and I booked a table for us and our two friends on Boxing Night - they sent an email via our TA to say it has been changed to the night of the 23rd. I will follow it up once we get on board.

I have also booked for New Year's night for the four of us so they better not change that or they will be contacted Pre-cruise.

Cheers

Di

Good luck...I hope they don't mess with your reservations again. That just doesn't make any sense to me. They shouldn't change your reservations without checking with you first to make sure the new date and time works for you. I've just never heard of that before...and hope I never hear of it happening again!!!

Prime 7 on the Navigator is quite small so getting a table for two is a challenge... I suggest you have a "two-pronged" approach:

1. Tell your Butler (don't "ask" him, "tell" him!) what happened and that you want a reservation for two. Then thank him for doing what he can...

2. Also stop by Prime 7 on your first night at sea and tell the Maître d'Hôtel the same thing.

Regent is generally quite good about anniversaries, especially "big" ones. I suppose you have already indicated to them that the cruise is a special celebration one? If not, then you should. There is something on one of the forms for that but I forget which form.

Finally - I hope you have a wonderful anniversary!! Well done!

We board the Navigator on 13 Nov, and do not have Prime 7 reservations yet. We actually had them with some friends, but they changed the time to one that was too late for us, so now we're facing a situation where no 2 tops are available on any of the nights (it's our 25th anniversary cruise, and we'd prefer not to share a table with people we don't know). Is it difficult to get a reservation once on board? I called Regent, and they suggested going ahead and reserving a shared table on the night we want and the time, and then just asking to see if it can be changed to a table for 2. I was just wondering what the general success rate is in getting what you want (or at least, as close to it as possible) if you wait until you board the ship. And then, how do we go about getting the reservations? Wait in line at 6:00pm sharp on the first night to talk to the maitre d? We do have a butler on this cruise, but have found that it can be hit or miss as to how well they can help you, so not sure if we should work this one ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me. Given that our original Prime 7 reservations were made as soon as our window opened up, this is definitely not a situation I expected to find myself in.

Often we asked Maitre'd or his representative during the afternoon outside CR to snag a reservation.

I would take matters into my own hands -- even if it means contacting the F&B Director and/or the General Manager. I have not had the best of luck with butlers getting reservations. If they cannot get a reservation, they would have to go to the Head Butler who in turn goes to his boss. IMO, going direct is much easier.

Thanks everyone. It certainly sounds as if going direct is the best course of action. One great thing about Regent is that I've never really heard "no" as an answer. It might not be exactly what we want, but they'll go out of their way to make the day as special as they can.

And yes, we've notified them on our butler request form that it is our 25th...I assume that's sufficient?

Tami & Mike, Happy Anniversary. Good advice from fellow CCr's above, esp. like TedC's about speaking with the P7 M'D but would so immediately after you board and let him/her know it's a special 25th wedding anniversary celebration--at the very least y'all will be put on a waiting list, at the very best a table will open up before dinner--or (he/she will make it happen)..am guessing not many guests that ask for a P7 ressie ask on their 25th wedding anniversary. Good luck and pls keep us posted.

HAPPY HAPPY Anniversary!

And "they" said it wouldn't last!

BON Voyage!

Thanks Ted. Not sure how anyone has put up with me for 25 years...and I'm guessing "they" are wondering the same thing!!!!

And thank you Wes as well. I know it will all work out. We got an amazing table last year for our 24th after we spoke to the Dining Room Manager (it helped that we were talking to Ray S., who was our CD, and he hooked us up with the DRM). And they treated us so well. Regent is just wonderful that way, and we are so looking forward to the cruise. Boarding a week from tomorrow!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: As soon as we boarded 4 days ago, we went to the Matre 'd to see if we could possibly book Prime 7 for our anniversary. He said that he had to wait for a couple of days to allow for everyone to have a chance to reserve it. Fair enough. But then he asked what date was our anniversary, and we told him it is the 18th. He then said, "No problem at all; we will be able to get you in then". So I go back to him yesterday to try to get reservations, and his response is, "Sorry, it is not possible, we are booked, and the best we can do is put you on a waiting list". Of course, we've heard nothing more, and figure we'll be eating at Compass Rose tomorrow. Really, that is not a big deal. The issue I have is this person telling me it would be no problem to get us in on the date we wanted, and then later turning around and telling me something completely opposite. I don't know what transpired in those 4 days, but whatever it was, it has done nothing but make me realize that if you don't get something in writing, you're setting yourself up for failure. I just never thought that I'd have to get something in writing on a Regent cruise. That's okay...lesson learned. Things on this cruise have been...interesting. We are having a great time...just seeing a few things we've never seen before on board. And honestly hope never to see again!!! I'll write a review later after I'm home...suffice it to say that Speedos and huge women in bikinis with their boobies hanging out have been the norm!

Update: As soon as we boarded 4 days ago, we went to the Matre 'd to see if we could possibly book Prime 7 for our anniversary. He said that he had to wait for a couple of days to allow for everyone to have a chance to reserve it. Fair enough. But then he asked what date was our anniversary, and we told him it is the 18th. He then said, "No problem at all; we will be able to get you in then". So I go back to him yesterday to try to get reservations, and his response is, "Sorry, it is not possible, we are booked, and the best we can do is put you on a waiting list". Of course, we've heard nothing more, and figure we'll be eating at Compass Rose tomorrow. Really, that is not a big deal. The issue I have is this person telling me it would be no problem to get us in on the date we wanted, and then later turning around and telling me something completely opposite. I don't know what transpired in those 4 days, but whatever it was, it has done nothing but make me realize that if you don't get something in writing, you're setting yourself up for failure. I just never thought that I'd have to get something in writing on a Regent cruise. That's okay...lesson learned. Things on this cruise have been...interesting. We are having a great time...just seeing a few things we've never seen before on board. And honestly hope never to see again!!! I'll write a review later after I'm home...suffice it to say that Speedos and huge women in bikinis with their boobies hanging out have been the norm!

You are correct, you should not have to get something in writing. Wishing you All The Best for your 25th Anniversary. I am sure the Team aboard Navigator will do everything possible to make sure this evening is a special one.

Best-

KSK

Hi Tami, Mike; Hope y'all are having a terrific Silver anniversary Cruise.

Thanks for the P7 anniversary ressie update. After reading your latest post above this morning, I forwarded it to Kunal Kumlani (President of Regent). He replied a few minutes ago, that they (Regent) would look into this--don't know if they can (at this late date fix) but still props to Regent leadership for looking into this situation. You only celebrate 25 years of marriage--once.

Happy Anniversary--kudos to both of y'all on this wonderful 25 year milestone and thanks to both of your for your service (albeit in the US Air force :))

You are correct, you should not have to get something in writing. Wishing you All The Best for your 25th Anniversary. I am sure the Team aboard Navigator will do everything possible to make sure this evening is a special one.

Best-

KSK

Sir,

Thank you so much for your post. Honestly, this day has already been so very special, and we don't want to put anyone out. We just didn't understand why we were told one thing the first day, and then it literally reversed 180 degrees a few days later. But we REALLY don't want to create waves, if you'll pardon the pun. We are just happy to be so blessed to be able to cruise with Regent.

Thank you again for your concern and well wishes.

Tami Kobold

Hi Tami, Mike; Hope y'all are having a terrific Silver anniversary Cruise.

Thanks for the P7 anniversary ressie update. After reading your latest post above this morning, I forwarded it to Kunal Kumlani (President of Regent). He replied a few minutes ago, that they (Regent) would look into this--don't know if they can (at this late date fix) but still props to Regent leadership for looking into this situation. You only celebrate 25 years of marriage--once.

Happy Anniversary--kudos to both of y'all on this wonderful 25 year milestone and thanks to both of your for your service (albeit in the US Air force :))

Thanks so much Wes...we are really laid back and don't like to create waves (on a ship no less!!), so hope that the folks here on the Navigator don't knock themselves out too much. We have had a wonderful day (with the possible exception of an incredibly rude woman who got so irate with the crew when they enforced the "no saving lounge chairs out by the pool" rule), and honestly are just feeling blessed right now...P7 or not. And you're right...that kind of customer service is almost unheard of, and is just another reason Regent is the only cruise line we will sail.

As for our service, just think of us as Army brats...after all, we did grow up and leave the Army home not all that long ago!

Thanks again,

Tami

Update #2: We just got back from a fantastic dinner at Prime 7. Not too long after my last post, we got a phone call telling us we were confirmed for a table for two at 6:30. Not only was the food amazing, but so was the service. Best meal we've ever had at any Prime 7. Thanks so much for all the suggestions and help everyone gave us...it has truly been a special day!!!