Waterproof case for I phone

dawnvan

Looking for advice on using my iPhone as my waterproof camera while snorkeling. Has anyone used a life proof or other waterproof cases. How did it work for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Seattle Sports manufactures a dry case that allows iphones (and most smart phones) to be used in a wet environment. They are called Emerse and run about $12-$20, depending on the bells and whistles.

Note: I do sell them at my store but they are available anywhere.

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1951&idcategory=120

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for something too.

Funny story. Last trip (Mexico), we actually used 2 x ziplock bags (double bagged it). We were only sticking iphone body underwater and ensuring the zip part stayed above. It worked in a pinch.

I got an Otterbox Preserver; they claim 30 mins at a max depth of 2 meters for these but people report that they go swimming or snorkeling with it, and that it works fine even for longer durations.

I've myself, for the giggles, dropped the case with a dummy weight and some paper into the baththub for testing and it seems to not leak at all, even when there over night. Thus I think the concept is proven pretty well.

But I got it for a different reason though (I use a GoPro+GoPole for diving/swimming): the waterproof in combo with the lanyard. Filming from a speed boat or catamaran is then suddenly possible while there is no direct danger of losing the phone due to an accidental bump as it is attached to your arm.

Another reason I got it is for skiing: the case is black and thus well visible in the snow in case I take it out and I drop it it will be waterproof and also snowproof and I will be easily able to find it again. Indeed, lots of folks lose their phones while skiing over here ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I have decided to get a full on dive case, and get a iPod touch. I would never trust a life proof case with a $800 phone in it. The iPod touch has everything I could need on a cruse and if I lose it I don't have the problems with cell providers and it reasonably priced starting at $150ish

Just a thought

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have advise on a good waterproof camera (not disposable) that takes video as well? Any recommendations? Wanting to get one for the cruise so I can take pics underwater while snorkeling... 🐠🐬I've also heard about waterproof cases for iPhones... But not sure how dependable and truly waterproof they are. Anyways...and helpful info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone have advise on a good waterproof camera (not disposable) that takes video as well?

The only thing you'll ever need for this: GoPro + GoPole Reach.

Any GoPro will do, just depends on budget. I got a GoPro3 Black and it is awesome.

The new 4s come in basically two flavors: silver (which has a screen on the back) and the black (which has a few higher resolutions but no screen).

A GoPro 3 will make you smile already though.

I mention the GoPole Reach as that is great for snorkling: you extend the stick and can film yourself, but you can also stick the stick closer to the fishies without scaring them too much and thus get a better closeup there. I've used the pole also for skiing, scuba and last week paragliding. The strap makes sure you do not quickly lose your precious gopro.

Only thing to watch out for: battery on gopros run out in a while (don't have a estimate, but typically an hour will work at minimum), hence, make sure you got a few spare batteries with you for swapping them out.

Of course, youtube will give you excellent reviews on the above combo, google for them.

The only thing you'll ever need for this: GoPro + GoPole Reach.

Any GoPro will do, just depends on budget. I got a GoPro3 Black and it is awesome.

The new 4s come in basically two flavors: silver (which has a screen on the back) and the black (which has a few higher resolutions but no screen).

A GoPro 3 will make you smile already though.

I mention the GoPole Reach as that is great for snorkling: you extend the stick and can film yourself, but you can also stick the stick closer to the fishies without scaring them too much and thus get a better closeup there. I've used the pole also for skiing, scuba and last week paragliding. The strap makes sure you do not quickly lose your precious gopro.

Only thing to watch out for: battery on gopros run out in a while (don't have a estimate, but typically an hour will work at minimum), hence, make sure you got a few spare batteries with you for swapping them out.

Of course, youtube will give you excellent reviews on the above combo, google for them.

Thanks!! I'll for sure look in to the GoPro!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just carrying my iPhone around water gives me the heeby gerbils. I would definitely get a cheap underwater camera than risk my phone. All you have to do is not seal it properly and it's done for.

Why ?

All my iphones have been underwater many times (in Antarctica - so wet and freezing just for kicks) using the Sea to Summit range of water proof pouches.

Never a drop has touched the phone itself.