Change to Select Dining while on board the ship

almostnewtocruise

We loved Select last Feb. on Eclipse so much that I would never go back to an assigned dining time. No more worries about having to spend two weeks straight dining with people that might not be a good match. A table for two one night and the next night you can choose to share a table - early or later - we love the flexibility. However I am also in the camp that it is rude to attempt to "talk your way into Select" to avoid the upfront gratuity charge. Many of us love Select enough to pay ahead to get it - then when those trying to "work the system" so that they can use their OBC for the gratuities start begging to be let in - over crowding happens resulting in longer wait times for everyone - I believe that if you want it - pay for it when you book. I think switching to Select after the cruise has started should not be allowed. I believe that Celebrity will catch on to those that switch after getting onboard and I think rule changes will come. :D

I agree with everything you wrote. 😄

IMO if Select Dining is not full then one should be able to change, pay the gratuities using OBC (of course without an option to remove the gratuities). They are taking a risk that space will be available. I would not take the risk. One should also be able to wait until they get on board to book a Celebrity excursion, a specialty dining experience, upgrade of a drink package, or anything else that they wish. Except for the drink package they are also taking a risk.

Of course that does not mean that a Celebrity should overbook Select dining to accommodate those that took the risk which I hope is the only reason that people might object.

We are doing a cruise in April, and we have asked for Select Dining, but have been told we are on a waiting list. This cruise is definitely not fully booked, as it is one that has had an itinerary change and many people originally booked on it have pulled out. Can someone shed some light on this? Is it based at all on the category of cabin booked? We are Select, but have never requested Select Dining before, having always opted for traditional.

We are doing a cruise in April, and we have asked for Select Dining, but have been told we are on a waiting list. This cruise is definitely not fully booked, as it is one that has had an itinerary change and many people originally booked on it have pulled out. Can someone shed some light on this? Is it based at all on the category of cabin booked? We are Select, but have never requested Select Dining before, having always opted for traditional.

The fact that the cruise is not fully booked has nothing to do with whether Select Dining is fully booked. The Select Dining section of the MDR can only accommodate so many guests for dinner. When Celebrity determines that the limit has been reached (again, something unrelated to the number of cabins filled), it will close off the bookings for Select Dining.

Keep your fingers crossed; you may get in via the wait list. (And I'm sure others will tell you that if you don't get in before you sail, to see the Maitre d' as soon as you embark.)

Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

I changed from early dining to select on our last cruise Oct 18 on the Silhouette. About an hour after we got on board I went down to the MDR and waited about 10 minutes for the Maitre d (sic) to arrive. He made the change immediately.

You will be required to "prepay" all of your gratuities by going to select. The gratuity charges will be billed each day of your cruise.