"LIVE" from the Navigator of the Seas - November 9, 2014

Greetings CC community! I am going to attempt a live report from the Navigator of the Seas, departing from Galveston, Texas tomorrow. Current sitting on the airplane making our way from Chicago to Houston's intercontinental airport.

Once we arrive, we've arranged transportation through Cool Tours to transport us to our hotel, The Boardwalk Inn in Kemah. There is a Salute to the Military event in Kemah, with various special events planned, so we are really looking forward to our stay here.

A bit about us, to kick this off; my name is Chris, traveling with DH, DD, age 15. We are part of a large group of family and friends totaling 13. We've pretty much cruised exclusively with RCI, and this cruise will mark a milestone event, as the day we board, I will be chalking up the two cruise points I need to hit Diamond Plus! Woo hoo! Very excited to be able to enjoy the perks at this level when we board a Oasis in February!

This will be my third trip on Navigator, and I am looking forward to seeing her again post renovation. If wifi and photobucket cooperate, I plan on posting many photos. We will be purchasing the unlimited wifi package on the ship so DD can keep up with homework and I can keep up with my "Words With Friends"

Any questions along the way, feel free to ask away! I'll attempt my first photo bucket up load shortly....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Breakfast on board this rather uneventful flight from Chicago to Houston. We got a great price on a business class ticket for this flight. By the time I added the costs to check bags and buy more legroom with the coach ticket, it wasn't a heck of a lot more to fly business class. Certainly makes the whole airport experience less stressful when you get to avoid the long lines.

2124F160-E760-4D6B-BFAD-F6FFB469963F_zps85begjbw.jpg

Well, it's airplane food. Not much to say about this, but the croissant was fresh and warm. The few bloody Mary's I had before this was delivered enhanced the dining experience....

Our Cool Tours bus was already waiting when we arrived. I did quite a bit of research into transportation for our party. Because we're arriving the day prior to the cruise, and because our flight out of IAH is 12:50, we weren't able to use the RCI transfers, which I never my preference anyway. We almost always use private services. As I recall, the RCI transfers were $47 pp each way.

I choose Cool Tours in the end, after reading very positive reviews on trip advisor and yelp. The cost pp for all three transport legs (IAH to Kemah, Kemah to the port of Galveston, and the port back to IAH) was $100 per person, which includes gratuity. If the rest of the transport legs go this well, I would highly recommend them. Our driver told us our trip will take a little over an hour, depending on traffic.

640914EF-52A0-4A40-B441-9094505FC54D_zpsgxtfhh8g.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be following along on your journey. My DH and I will be cruising on Navigator in February. We love to go out of Galveston as we can drive. We haven't been on this ship but have done three of her sisters.

Which itinerary are you doing?

Later.....

Vicki

Yes, who knew it was the same weekend as the Lone Star Biker Rally on Galveston island? Well, I found out when I tried to book a hotel, and some chain along the lines of a Motel 6 wanted $350 a night for a room. Seeing all the bikers is making for an interesting ride to Kemah!

Edited by niksmom630

Our Cool Tours bus was already waiting when we arrived. I did quite a bit of research into transportation for our party. Because we're arriving the day prior to the cruise, and because our flight out of IAH is 12:50, we weren't able to use the RCI transfers, which I never my preference anyway. We almost always use private services. As I recall, the RCI transfers were $47 pp each way.

I choose Cool Tours in the end, after reading very positive reviews on trip advisor and yelp. The cost pp for all three transport legs (IAH to Kemah, Kemah to the port of Galveston, and the port back to IAH) was $100 per person, which includes gratuity. If the rest of the transport legs go this well, I would highly recommend them. Our driver told us our trip will take a little over an hour, depending on traffic.

640914EF-52A0-4A40-B441-9094505FC54D_zpsgxtfhh8g.jpg

We used Cool Tours on our cruise in May. We would recommend them in a heartbeat.

The Golden Knights parachute team was amazing. I didn't have time to change out my camera lens, so these photos will have to do.....

Edited by niksmom630

A few more photos...

90457589-1AC2-45BA-9415-1273CFBB4000_zps7qu9kxe2.jpg

3C233C93-1467-4D3D-8E93-6F6607CDB644_zpsgqci6won.jpg

The bikers created a circle around the paratroopers area, and then made their grand exit. We had a great view from our balcony enjoying all the festivities today....

E0D9C7C0-7604-41F6-B3D9-683C2021E070_zps1dyy0tdg.jpg

3C233C93-1467-4D3D-8E93-6F6607CDB644_zpsgqci6won.jpg

More tomorrow!

Last night we had dinner at Salt Grass on the Boardwalk. Steaks were good, and I got a $25 discount for joining the Landry's Club. Membership was also $25, but joining also provided us a 10% discount on each room booked here. Since we had 6 rooms, it was a good savings, particularly because the room rates are high. DD and traveling friend went to the onsite amusement park. A $20 wristband through the hotel provides an all day unlimited rides pass.

A few photos of the amusement park...

4AFC61AB-0390-4F4E-B891-7231FD83F433_zpstjyp1edg.jpg

D780514C-E2E8-4D26-9946-E17AEA7B556D_zpsvuiwc1qg.jpg