Independence of the Seas Help!

erineab

We will be travelling on the 8 night itinerary in March, and I have quite a few questions. Hoping there are seasoned travelers out there that may be able to help!

1) We are travelling with 3 seniors in their mid-late 70's, all with mobility issues. I have heard that acquiring deck chairs can be tricky. Are there any "off the beaten path" places to sit and people watch that might be suitable for them? They wouldn't care about being poolside all the time, but I worry that a ship of this size will be very overwhelming for them.

2) How do we go about getting tickets to ice shows?

3) How far in advance will we typically need to get to the theater to secure seats?

4) Are loungers/chairs hard to come by on Labadee as well? Is there a certain spot that doesn't tend to fill up as quickly? We considered renting a cabana but they are already sold out. Again, my parents/aunt are not able to stand for very long and also can't walk long distance s I'm not sure how this will go.

Any info you can provide would be so greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Indy! I will try to help a little and I an sure others will also.

1- There are several places deck chairs can be had as long as you aren't very picky about location. Check out the deck above the pool toward the aft, we have always had good luck there.

2-They will hand out tickets to the ice shows, I think the day before around 3( I could be wrong). The exact time and location will be in your cruise compass.

3- As long as you get to the theater 30 minutes before the show, you won't have any problems getting a seat.

4- On Labadee lounge chairs are pretty easy to get. There are several workers that will get you a lounger and put it where you want, just be sure to give them a tip.

Best tip I have is relax and enjoy!

We will be travelling on the 8 night itinerary in March, and I have quite a few questions. Hoping there are seasoned travelers out there that may be able to help!

1) We are travelling with 3 seniors in their mid-late 70's, all with mobility issues. I have heard that acquiring deck chairs can be tricky. Are there any "off the beaten path" places to sit and people watch that might be suitable for them? They wouldn't care about being poolside all the time, but I worry that a ship of this size will be very overwhelming for them.

2) How do we go about getting tickets to ice shows?

3) How far in advance will we typically need to get to the theater to secure seats?

4) Are loungers/chairs hard to come by on Labadee as well? Is there a certain spot that doesn't tend to fill up as quickly? We considered renting a cabana but they are already sold out. Again, my parents/aunt are not able to stand for very long and also can't walk long distance s I'm not sure how this will go.

Any info you can provide would be so greatly appreciated!

Hi there fellow Canuck!

We've been on the Indy twice and a third is booked. You'll enjoy the ship and there's plenty to do for young and old alike.

1. Getting a chair up on deck will be no problem if sitting by a pool isn't a priority. Don't worry about that.

2. They announce when the tickets for the ice show go on sale. There's always plenty to be had so no worries there either.

3. As far as theatre seats go, you should be able to walk down there a few minutes before the show and get decent seats. If its a show I really want to see then I'll show up 10 or 15 mins before and have a drink while waiting for the show. Again, no worries.

4. There are a ton of chairs on Labadee and there are also guys with golf carts there too. I'm sure if you explain to them that your parents really can't walk far but you'd like a drive to a nice area, it won't be an issue. Even still, a decent beach is still well within walking distance unless of course they are quite restricted.

Other pointers for the Indy

Try a specialty dining restaurant at least once. When you get to the ship on day 1, look for the waiters from Chops or the Italian place. They'll be walking around offering a discount if you book first day.

MDR breakfast is usually very nice and for parents who may have trouble walking, it sure would probably quite nice for them to be seated and waited on for breakfast instead of going with the herd in the Winjammer. Try lunch there as well.

I did a review of the 8 day Indy a couple years ago - here it is if you want to have a look

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810273

We're doing it again in March! Can't wait.

Hi there fellow Canuck!

We've been on the Indy twice and a third is booked. You'll enjoy the ship and there's plenty to do for young and old alike.

1. Getting a chair up on deck will be no problem if sitting by a pool isn't a priority. Don't worry about that.

2. They announce when the tickets for the ice show go on sale. There's always plenty to be had so no worries there either.

3. As far as theatre seats go, you should be able to walk down there a few minutes before the show and get decent seats. If its a show I really want to see then I'll show up 10 or 15 mins before and have a drink while waiting for the show. Again, no worries.

4. There are a ton of chairs on Labadee and there are also guys with golf carts there too. I'm sure if you explain to them that your parents really can't walk far but you'd like a drive to a nice area, it won't be an issue. Even still, a decent beach is still well within walking distance unless of course they are quite restricted.

Other pointers for the Indy

Try a specialty dining restaurant at least once. When you get to the ship on day 1, look for the waiters from Chops or the Italian place. They'll be walking around offering a discount if you book first day.

MDR breakfast is usually very nice and for parents who may have trouble walking, it sure would probably quite nice for them to be seated and waited on for breakfast instead of going with the herd in the Winjammer. Try lunch there as well.

I did a review of the 8 day Indy a couple years ago - here it is if you want to have a look

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810273

We're doing it again in March! Can't wait.

Thanks for posting the link to that review! We were on that same cruise and looking at your pictures made me nostalgic! I'm going to have to look up shipwreck beach in st kitts because we will be there again in December and we didn't do anything there last time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the link to that review! We were on that same cruise and looking at your pictures made me nostalgic! I'm going to have to look up shipwreck beach in st kitts because we will be there again in December and we didn't do anything there last time.

Oh we're heading back there again in March and this time for the entire day. Last year we were there from around 11 - 3. This time, we're hopping off the ship and heading right out.

I would check with guest services about the golf carts on labadee (I have seen them) because (IMO) the dock is fairly long and anyone with mobility issues would have a hard time. Once you get to land there is a shuttle type of service that can bring you anywhere and there are maps available.

Hello fellow Torontonian!

We are on the 8 night Indy sailing on November 22. We are fairly close in age to your parents and aunt, but, thankfully do not have their mobility issues.

Would be happy to check out any questions or concerns you might have. Please list and we will respond. Planning on posting from St. Kitts and then in Falmouth on our 2nd week. And, of course, from home after December 6th.

Looking so forward our cruise.

Ellen

Oh we're heading back there again in March and this time for the entire day. Last year we were there from around 11 - 3. This time, we're hopping off the ship and heading right out.

Do you think it's a better deal than the beach club that I hear is down the beach from there?

In answer to your Labadee question regarding mobility:

We stopped at Labadee a few times with my mom, who is late 70s and has issues with walking long distances. Now that the dock is there, it's a long walk from the ship to the beach. There are workers with these rolling sand chairs, that will push you from the ship onto the beach (the big wheels make moving along the sand possible) and for a tip they will take you where you want to settle.

My mom gave him a bit extra and told him what time we wanted to head back. He was there with his chair to bring her back right on time. She said it was the best tip money she spent to be able to get out and join us.

Do you think it's a better deal than the beach club that I hear is down the beach from there?

I'm not sure because we have never been to the beach club. All I know is we had a great day there last year. Its a nice beach with great swimming and the food and service was great as well. The driver who took us out to Shipwreck tried to talk us inot the beach club place but we had our hearts set on this place and I'm glad we stuck to our guns.