CC class perks

a1moty

Bollinge, I agree 100% with your comments. Champagne is champagne anything else is sparking wine..there is a difference.

As for Bananvan and Anca's comments...well they are aggressive and unwarranted. You were only making a point that is well understood in Europe.

Bollinge, I agree 100% with your comments. Champagne is Champagne and not sparking wine. There is a a difference in taste and quality.

Bananvan and Anca's comments are aggressive and out of order, you were making a valid point that most europeans would understand.

Also, the 'Champagne' does not have that word on the bottle label as I remember.

My point is that this is a percieved perk of the CC class cabin. A perk, not something worth fussing over. Nobody is holding the bottle to your gullet and forcing you to drink it. Why complain?

Personally I do not find the towels to be that great but I use them. I have much better sheets on my bed at home. My champagne of choice is Dom Perignon, so what? This is a vacation. Enjoy it and stop with the nose up in the air attitudes.

YOU ARE NOT IN EUROPE! I have no desire to worry as to whether your perception of champagne is understood in Europe and not correctly understood by me. I am enough of an oenophile to understand the appelation as it applies to Champagne.

Aggressive? Damn straight. As a British born American I find the condescending attitude stated by bollinge to be offensive. Blame the fake champagne on the cruise line but leave the name calling and the anti American slurs out of the discussion. Oh, and toss the stuff in the trash (bin to you).

Anca simply found my post to be enjoyable so please do not tar her with the same brush as you do me.

Well, as far as the wife and I are concerned, we do not drink champange/shampange so we will probably share it with those unfortunate souls :p who were not able to book the CC class. We are on the 13 night Summit out of LA on May 07 to Alaska and that is the reason we splurged the extra $400 :rolleyes: for the CC class. I can not tell you if the money will be worth the "extras" we get in CC class but as this is our first trip to Alaska we decided to go for it. As for the ship we are in #9100 so can anyone tell me how far the overhang is on top of us and as we are next to one of the CS on the left side will that effect our view? Thanks.

I still haven't heard from my TA on whether or not Celebrity will substitute

Coca-Cola for the beverage I do not drink----I called her and it seems she is on vacation. I hope she is on a cruise enjoying herself!!

If Celebrity doesn't do a substitute for us, I will be happy to give the bottle to anyone on my cruise--Mercury 02/24/06. :D

I am involved with Champagne, in that I write about it; hence my nom de plume.

My point is that the "free" sparkling wine offered in these "premium" CC cabins is misrepresented as Champagne, and is of poor quality. I did not mean that passengers travelling in CC cabins are "premium". If I am offered caviar, I would not expect to get lumpfish roe (or black shoe polish which the street hawkers in St. Petersburg try to pass off as caviar!)

I agree that not all Champagne is great, and most of it is overpriced, particularly DP and Cristal. Of the Californian sparklers, I have been impressed by Schramsberg and Roederer Estate, and Mumm Cuvee Napa is just about OK.

This week on a wine buff's bulletin board, one gentleman complained that a case of wine worth $500 he had ordered from a wine merchant in New Orleans had yet to arrive. Wow, did he get sent to Coventry!

P.S. The "quality" binoculars in the C.C. cabins are rubbish as well.

Bollinge, you are putting the "snob" in wine snob - you know that, right? I say this as a serious wine/champagne lover (aka "wine snob") who tries to be anything BUT snobby about it. Please, don't give us a bad name...

Would somebody please tell me what the big deal is about the bottle of champagne? If you don't want it, why not bring it to your table and let your tablemates enjoy it or bring it home and give it to someone? I don't use the ships's shampoo or body lotion; I would not ask for "any substitutes" because I prefer a different brand. Lighten up! If all you have to worry about is a lousy bottle of "whatever," then you're a very lucky person!!!

Esther

I am involved with Champagne, in that I write about it; hence my nom de plume.
Looks as though my guess was correct, although I was beginning to wonder if it was a handle or a real family name.

My point is that the "free" sparkling wine offered in these "premium" CC cabins is misrepresented as Champagne, and is of poor quality.
We can agree on that much, at least. For the difference in price, you'd think they could spring for something just a little better than what they're offering. However, it's cold, more or less traditional, and mixes very well with orange juice!

P.S. The "quality" binoculars in the C.C. cabins are rubbish as well.
Actually, the bubbly was better than the binocs on our last cruise! At least I could see straight after the bubblyand OJ. The two sides of the binocs were operating in two entirely different planes (no common focal point). We'd only brought one pair with us, and had to get the ones they'd supplied replaced. Even then, they're not too spiffy. Give me the Pentax UCF II Zoom for a cruise. Small and flexible.

Would somebody please tell me what the big deal is about the bottle of champagne? If you don't want it, why not bring it to your table and let your tablemates enjoy it or bring it home and give it to someone? I don't use the ships's shampoo or body lotion; I would not ask for "any substitutes" because I prefer a different brand. Lighten up! If all you have to worry about is a lousy bottle of "whatever," then you're a very lucky person!!!

Esther

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,teajak

Thanks a1moty for your reply. Would you mind posting when you get a response as to whether of not they'll make the switch? Thanks again!

fm519 and others interested:

I would be glad to let you know what I find out---

and to everyone else:

It really isn't a big deal--I didn't make it a big deal.

I just asked a simple question. So sorry that my curiosity

has caused such an uproar.

Can anyone tell me on the CC class it lists Welcome Champagne

as one of the benefits. Is that a bottle in the cabin or the sail way

Champagne?

Just came back today on The Zenith. It is a bottle in CC plus a glass at the Sailaway.

Moet Brut & it was very good. Moet is French & Brut is dry or as it's web site states:

Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Champagne nw2.gif

The complete on-line source for quality wines & spirits. We offer a wide selection of wines, spirits and cigars, as well as gifts and accessories. ... Brut Impérial describes the driest of Moët & Chandon champagnes ... and classic in taste.

So to the party with her sparkling wine, not the case on 2 CC staterooms on 2 Celebrity ships. Maybe the free sparkling wine upon boarding which tasted nothing like the Moet Brut. But the dignity serving it makes up for it. And what they serve at art auctions is also sparkling wine not champagne.

CC on M Class is 191 sq ft stateroom but the sides have a 40 sq ft balcony. Some have double size where the "joints" are and they hae the best AFT CC with 200 sq ft balconies.

Regular verandahs are 179 sq ft & 40 sq ft balconies & 6th floor 2C have the double size balconies from 6016-6035.............

Regarding Champagne provided in the CC cabins.....I love it....no matter what type it really is.....it tickles my nose....and my husband usually gets lucky after I've had a few glasses.....so all you men that have your nose in the air....i hope your jealous!

Just to support Bollinge on this one (and be another snooty englishman in the process) - I think Bollinge's point was simply that celebrity are advertising this as a selling point of CC - it is not a free perk but an additional benefit that you pay for. Due to the nature of EU legislation, which is supported in many other countries (note that in South Africa their sparkling wine is now sold as cap classique I believe) there are likely to be a significant number of non US passengers who may be expecting a higher quality bottle for the money that they ave spent on CC. I do not see how this is elitist in any way, simply expecting to get what you pay for.

Although I would quite happily quaff a nice glass of krug I actually thought the Micel Roux brut was very drinkable so I shall be happy with that. Nonetheless the point made was simply that some people may be disappointed as they expected more.

This thread is just too funny!!! Can't even put into words what runs through my mind, but some people really need to get over themselves. Who the heck cares what they call it?

Anyway, I would be interested to find out if we can have sparkling cider of something instead since neither of us drink. I'm calling Captain's Club tomorrow to ask. I was puzzled to read that someone could get no response from Celebrity since they booked through a TA. I've called them a number of times and they're very helpful. I use an internet TA and while I'm sure they could be the go between, I can't see the point. I go to the source ... we'll see how it works when I call tomorrow;)

Archived